3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consultation on "The consumer experience at public chargepoints"

Topics:
  • Making it easy to pay
  • Opening up chargepoint data
  • Using a single payment metric
  • Ensuring a reliable charging network

If you have any views on the public charging network, the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles would like to hear them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It’s a very practical condoc, short on waffle and some specific practical points it wants to address. Will require a retrofit of genuine “impromptu” payment (not requiring a smartphone) to existing charge points. Also tucked into the signage section is a statement that the current intention (ie even before the consultation) is to have at least six rapid open-access charging points at every motorway service area by 2023.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,568 Posts
I've filled it in. Everything I've said that's an issue in every previous consultation is still an issue :rolleyes:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Anyone have a template that we could share around to encourage comments?

Reactions: Bill N

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,900 Posts
These sort of consultations aren't interested in anyone's views. They just want some boxes ticked to justify their latest initiative to the boss. Pointless replying IMHO.
Surely we want to help whoever justify his latest initiative to his boss? If no one replies his boss can say that no one is interested.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,972 Posts
If you have any views on the public charging network, the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles would like to hear them.
Bullshit.

I have been telling them for years and they couldn't give two shits backwards.

What they want is to get some words from consumers they want to hear, and reject the ones they don't, then they can create a dodgy-dossier of their own belief systems, which so far have been ruinous for this country's charging infrastructure, and I have no reason to doubt will continue to be so.

·
Registered
679 Posts
For crying out loud. Just make them all contactless, like the way petrol/diesel pumps are.

I want to pull up to a charge point, plug in, charge & pay. Sort of like what I do when I fill up with petrol.

End of!
If you read the consultation that's what the government is talking about doing. They have quite a lot of solutions mentioned already and in detail. They're saying they expected CPOs to start retrofitting newly installed chargers but feel not enough has been done so are suggesting adding additional pressure

Bullshit.

I have been telling them for years and they couldn't give two shits backwards.

What they want is to get some words from consumers they want to hear, and reject the ones they don't, then they can create a dodgy-dossier of their own belief systems, which so far have been ruinous for this country's charging infrastructure, and I have no reason to doubt will continue to be so.
Did you read the consultation? They've detailed multiple solutions which have been built based on the comments I've heard about charging infrastructure in the past. The questions go into a lot of detail from mandating contactless payments on all chargers, to signage, to mandating a 99% network reliability rate to how that should be measured and how the data should be distributed such that zap-map etc. can provide dynamic data for all chargers. I don't see anything missing there that has been raised before. Them taking some time to actually do something is a matter of priorities rather than ignoring what customers want.

If we don't say anything, you can bet the likes of Ecotricity, BP Pulse and automakers will just dictate what they want.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
717 Posts
I have done the survey. Lots of positive ideas and when it gets there, it will be good. But it's all happening too slowly and they need to put some welly into it now. What we don't need is 3 years of consultations and no action. Which is a point I made in the survey.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
150 Posts
Completed the survey as well.
As others said there is a lot of good ideas already indicated there and if at least half of them are implemented then we clearly will benefit from it.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,684 Posts
Really? There isn’t any pumps like that around here, you have to go in and pay.
Yep I think only Tesco in this area and in fact BP have used an app approach rather than roll out payment terminals to their fuel pumps.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What they want is to get some words from consumers they want to hear, and reject the ones they don't,
I agree that a lot of condocs are like this, but this one doesn’t seem to be. It has, admittedly, already made its mind up on some things like the need to be able to rock up to a charger and be able to charge without downloading an app, but the questions it’s asking seem to be ones where it wants to know what might have been missed etc. As far as I can see, it’s genuine and worthwhile; I’d suggest that anyone tempted to dismiss it should at least read it first - it’s not that long.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,568 Posts
There is also a free form bit at the end for anything you think ought to be considered.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,046 Posts
Consultation on "The consumer experience at public chargepoints"

Topics:
  • Making it easy to pay
  • Opening up chargepoint data
  • Using a single payment metric
  • Ensuring a reliable charging network

Already participated in the earlier tranch. I notice there's a part in the 'emerging policy areas' about signage that I was particularly strident about.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK
1 - 20 of 39 Posts