Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,546 Posts
Already participated in the earlier tranch. I notice there's a part in the 'emerging policy areas' about signage that I was particularly strident about.
Same. I also commented that the "digital" location of chargepoints should be switched to a What3Words-style, which means the chargepoint will be within 10m of the point given, as opposed to the current postcode system, which can be 100m off.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
GPS standard latitude/longitude location would be more exact. It just needs to be put into the charge map maps.
What are the chances of getting one digit wrong while doing that? Then you're looking for a charger in a field 10 km away :ROFLMAO:

What3words is actually a brilliant system for giving reliable location involving human interaction.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,532 Posts
You don't enter the number manually. You charge the car there and upload the location. Or stand next to it and upload the location.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You don't enter the number manually. You charge the car there and upload the location. Or stand next to it and upload the location.
That's what What3Words does, but then translates it into an easily pronouncable set of words in your language of choice, that uniquely defines the surrounding 10m x 10m square of the Earth.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,799 Posts
I've just got to that point in the survey/questionnaire that's talking about location (had to go shopping) and will make the point about what3words again.

I'm not impressed with all this guff about roaming. Looks like another attempt at 'one ring to rule them all'. IE, another app! Fleet drivers already have their agencies, who could quite easily woo the networks, and we've got (or should have) credit/debit cards payments.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It has, admittedly, already made its mind up on some things
To the point of posting their technical architecture diagram halfway through with the question 'do you agree with this?' !!

At which point it seemed to me we had reached the meat of it. Box tick sign off for something already determined loosely bolted on to some (probably) token accessibility and payment questions/ideas that everyone will agree with, to help wave it through....

Getting (even more) cynical in my old age

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,799 Posts
To the point of posting their technical architecture diagram halfway through with the question 'do you agree with this?' !!

At which point it seemed to me we had reached the meat of it. Box tick sign off for something already determined loosely bolted on to some (probably) token accessibility and payment questions/ideas that everyone will agree with, to help wave it through....

Getting (even more) cynical in my old age
When I reached the question to put something into order of preference I left it blank and in the comments below stated that I thought what they asking was irrelevant.

Is does look in some of the questions that they are trying to get us to be good citizens and to please just agree with them.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,437 Posts
The asking should exceptions be made was a nod to Tesla & their charging network methinks.
I never thought of that.
Tesla's network is effectively private at present. Can't imagine a Conservative government forcing them to open it up to the plebs.

Tesla's payment system has to be the ultimate in convenience though. Think of the number of organisations who'd have to cooperate to make that universal!

Ah, well!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Well that's a good start!
It's still a big ask for everyone else to adopt it. That would amount to admitting that Tesla had the best idea first. (which they did, of course).
Since that standard was first published in April 2019, I'm almost certain Tesla rolled their own, and this is everyone else playing catch up.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

21 - 34 of 34 Posts