Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Government new fund to design greener cars using F1 tech

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Simon Mac 
#1 ·
Didn't know whether this would be in this section or not but thought as it's Motorsport it should be, sorry if I'm wrong.

Basically the Government are now funding British companies that develop technology for F1 to make road cars more eco-friendly

Don't want to bore you with all the stats so if you want to know you can find that here :) Government to design greener cars with Formula One tech - Car Keys

#2 ·
Not sure how relevant the MGU-H units in F1 cars are for road cars (Supercars and track day machines aside), but the safety tech in F1 is damn amazing these days. For Alonso to walk out of the crash he had over the weekend was amazing - 180mph impact, 65G initial impact (or something like that). I honestly thought we were going to see another sad loss of life in F1.

Almost as scary was when Kimi nearly got decapitated last year by Alonso's car. Still cannot believe drivers like Hamilton is fighting AGAINST a cockpit protection system, especially after the loss of Jules Bianchi. These F1 drivers have bigger balls than me to do this kind of stuff day in day out for a living :eek:.

#3 ·
Alonso definitely has cheated death a fair few times in F1.

How he was able to walk away from that is beyond me!

Did you hear what people have said about the cockpit protection system though? Some people have stated that if the cockpit protection system was in place they don't think Alonso would've been able to get out the car, if this would cause more damage though I have no idea

#5 ·
The safety in F1 is unbelievable today but I think the cockpit protection is a step to far. I read a report a few weeks back that said Bianci would still be in the same situation with covered cockpits. The crash was so bad nothing would have saved him.
Massa would have been probably saved his head injury but there was talk over the weekend that if the car had caught fire Alonso might well have never got out of a inclosed cockpit.

F1 is dangerous, safety is the most important thing when considering the car design but if you took safety to its logical conclusion the sport will end up being run in the simulators not on the track.

#6 ·
^^Apart from a few other racing formulas virtually every other racing series is in enclosed cockpits. The fire issue is pointless is the driver is knocked unconscious by head injury.

The performance of F1 cars can only be apperciated when you watch in person at the track side. Its crazy to think drivers have no head protection apart form the helmet. Safety in F1 have improved hugely, Alonso's crash is testament to that.

All Motorsport is dangerous, no sane person would drive an F1 car regardless of safety features. Most people (my self included) havent even got the balls to race a go kart at full throttle on a track, where the difference between a rubbish lap and a good lap is now close you dare to get to an amco. Most of us would rather stay 10cm away from the barrier and go 0.1 seconds slower just in case we crash, racing drivers don't think like this, they will case every 0.005 second advantage even if it means been mm from a concert wall doing 180mph . In a F1 car where high speed corners can only be taken at high speeds to generate downforce, it's maddness, keep your foot down when every nerve in your body is telling you lift off. You have to be mental to do some of the things these guys pull off lap after lap.

Racing drivers have no fear of death in a car, even if they had no seat belts in the cars they would all still go racing, but that doesn't mean safety tech shouldn't be developed.

#7 ·
^^
Racing drivers have no fear of death in a car, even if they had no seat belts in the cars they would all still go racing, but that doesn't mean safety tech shouldn't be developed.
I completely agree with the safety aspect and everything possible should be done to keep people safe. F1 has always been open cockpit, its one of the things that makes it different, if you put a roof on you may as well scrape the series and watch sports car racing instead. As Alonso proved at the weekend the cars are already unbelievable safe, Bianci's crash was at least partly his own fault (his delata's showed he did not slow down enough) and as I said earlier reports said that because he went under rescue vehicle no glass roof would have saved him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.