Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard on the news. Couple of thoughts

- Will they also require allocated parking near the EV charging point, or planning permission to be granted to run a cable to the parking spot? I’d put money on no

- will they actually require a charging point like a zappi (they want smart ones to manage grid load) or a simple commando socket? Or even just a three pin plug on the outside wall

Builders will be workign to spend the least amount to get the most profit so unless this is properly specced, it’ll be a mess.

• Angry
Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm more optimistic. I think it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully planners and home buyer reports will drive the standard upwards.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We've been here before on the site. And, unless someone knows what they should get and complains, I can promise you'll be seeing a lot of these.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
I can't see builders actually installing a charger, just provision for the buyer to have one installed of their choice.

Maybe even just a duct / conduit with a fish wire in place for the charger installer to pull through the appropriate cable.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Technically all they need to do is install a suitably protected 13 A outlet with the letters "EV" on the back and possibly a label on the front saying that it's suitable for EV use. That complies with Section 722.55.101.0.201.1(1) of BS7671:2018 Amendment 1 as an "electric vehicle charge point". If they fit that socket in a garage, then they don't even need to provide open PEN fault protection. The fact that charging from a 13 A outlet isn't practical, or particularly safe and reliable in the long term, is neither here nor there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Technically all they need to do is install a suitably protected 13 A outlet with the letters "EV" on the back and possibly a label on the front saying that it's suitable for EV use. That complies with Section 722.55.101.0.201.1(1) of BS7671:2018 Amendment 1 as an "electric vehicle charge point".
Where may I buy one of these please?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
I can't see builders actually installing a charger, just provision for the buyer to have one installed of their choice.

Maybe even just a duct / conduit with a fish wire in place for the charger installer to pull through the appropriate cable.
I’d rather they did this than install a substandard cable which you have to replace when you come to fit your own charger.

For some installations running the cable is the costly bit.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Where may I buy one of these please?
Been linked to earlier, Rolec make the Wallpod, which is just a supposedly EV capable 13 A outlet in a box. It need to be installed with DC tolerant earth leakage protection, but other than than it's compliant with the regs if it is installed in a garage, in a location where a car may not reasonably be assumed to charge outdoors. I'm definitely not recommending that anyone do this, though, as Rolec stuff is far from being great in terms of quality.

In terms of practicality, then a 13 A outlet and portable charge point would take over 35 hours to fully charge my car, so not exactly ideal, nor is if particularly safe to draw 10 A from a 13 A outlet for that period of time.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
Hopefully planners and home buyer reports will drive the standard upwards.
Like that happened with insulation, cladding etc.
Looks like we're waiting for Boris to mumble something about it in Parliament later today, before the full details are available.
In theory that is the correct way for things to be done as it gives some form of ability for debate etc. Unfortunately the way that Parliament behaves it'll be greeted in the same way regardless of whether it is the best thought through policy or the most idiotic thing ever - the Tories will bray in support and the Opposition will dismiss it as pointless and question the Government about something else.
Announcing the new laws at the Confederation of British Industry's conference on Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson will say:
Ahh, well that theory didn't last well. :devilish: :mad:
I wonder how many MPs are actually aware of the issues?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I wonder how many MPs are actually aware of the issues?

Probably none. The government, and the opposition for that matter, will only be interested in media spin around the announcement, not what it actually achieves (or doesn't). They know that it won't be likely to bite them in the backside, as it will be years before all the complaints from new home owners get enough traction to be an issue, and by then it will be someone else's problem.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Technically all they need to do is install a suitably protected 13 A outlet with the letters "EV" on the back and possibly a label on the front saying that it's suitable for EV use. That complies with Section 722.55.101.0.201.1(1) of BS7671:2018 Amendment 1 as an "electric vehicle charge point". If they fit that socket in a garage, then they don't even need to provide open PEN fault protection. The fact that charging from a 13 A outlet isn't practical, or particularly safe and reliable in the long term, is neither here nor there.
That's exactly what's been happening in parts of the country where EV chargers would contribute to the 'green' score for the house. Great for the lawnmower and pressure washer.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
That's exactly what's been happening in parts of the country where EV chargers would contribute to the 'green' score for the house. Great for the lawnmower and pressure washer.

The example that was highlighted here by a new home owner wasn't even properly installed IIRC, in that it was just fed from a supply without DC tolerant earth leakage protection. No idea how that was ever signed off against the regs, most probably this happened because big developers do not use full qualified electricians to wire new homes. Most new homes are wired by the equivalent of an electrician's mate in reality, with the installation design being pared down to be as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
ID3 Life Pro - Stonewashed Blue Towbar
165 Posts
1 - 20 of 187 Posts