Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange error has recently appeared on my ID3 map display. Rural area 60mph speed limit. On one country lane leading off main road and for several miles, the speed limit on the display shows as 30mph not 60mph. The "exceeding speed limit" warning displays if doing (as set) 5mph over the limit. i.e. 35mph. On re-joining the "main" road, also a 60mph limit, the map display reverts to showing 60mph as the limit and, obviously, no "exceeding speed limit" unless I do 65mph or more. No recent changes in speed limts and no temporary limits, which the GPS usually recognises and the warning is triggered.

Should I go back to factory settings or will it somehow correct itself?

·
Registered
Mercedes EQA 300
13 Posts
My Mercedes EQA does the same thing, it seems to think that narrow rural roads especially lined with hedges or trees should only be traveled at 30mph!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Strange error has recently appeared on my ID3 map display. Rural area 60mph speed limit. On one country lane leading off main road and for several miles, the speed limit on the display shows as 30mph not 60mph. The "exceeding speed limit" warning displays if doing (as set) 5mph over the limit. i.e. 35mph. On re-joining the "main" road, also a 60mph limit, the map display reverts to showing 60mph as the limit and, obviously, no "exceeding speed limit" unless I do 65mph or more. No recent changes in speed limts and no temporary limits, which the GPS usually recognises and the warning is triggered.

Should I go back to factory settings or will it somehow correct itself?
My ID3 does the same thing occasionally. There is a 40mph limit near me, which the ID3 refuses to recognise until half way along that stretch of road. It’s technology. It’s not perfect. I don’t bother with the over the limit setting.

·
Registered
2020 e-Golf
777 Posts
You can edit the map that VW make use of if you spot anything wrong: HERE Map Creator - 2020

How long it takes for changes to push through to an update arriving in your car I have no idea.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
694 Posts
You can edit the map that VW make use of if you spot anything wrong: HERE Map Creator - 2020

How long it takes for changes to push through to an update arriving in your car I have no idea.
If it's anything like the update process HERE have for other cars, it's an annual update cycle that takes them several more months to actually publish physical media, which in some cases has to be DRM encoded to a particular vehicle.
TomTom seem to be a bit more repsonsive with their map data, and do quarterly updates that can be downloaded to cars. Not sure how VW do updates and whether it's still shipping physical media.

·
Registered
252 Posts

While this might not fix the incorrect speed issue found by the original poster, if anyone's minded to start contributing mapping data anywhere, definitely consider putting time into updating the openstreetmap.org maps; if these keep getting better and better there's every chance they'll start to be used for more data. Tesla already use them as a source in some aspects of their vehicles, as they get better that list may well grow.

I'll.. just step off this soapbox now!

·
Registered
ID3
259 Posts
definitely consider putting time into updating the openstreetmap.org maps; if these keep getting better and better there's every chance they'll start to be used for more data.
I was doing some of the coastal path around Cornwall at the weekend and amusingly Pokémon Go had better mapping of the path than google because it uses openstreetmaps data.

·
Registered
VW ID.4 First Edition
15 Posts
I've noticed this previously as I live up a little lane. 60mph limit is shown as 30mph SOMETIMES. What I found was that the 22.2 satnav update gave the incorrect 30mph limit and then this was fixed in the next update and was OK until last week. We were in Scotland at the time and the lane the cottage we rented is on is a 60mph road which halfway through the week started alerting as 30 mph! I checked my system information and saw the car had updated the satnav to 22.5 mapping data. I hope this goes away / is fixed with next update.

·
Registered
V dirty ID.3
102 Posts
This a 'feature' aka bug that they got rid of - until they put it back in on the last map update. It's a simple one - the speed limit on uncalssified roads is 60mph. Some dimwit thinks it's 30mph. It did take them six months to get rid of it last time. Should be fixed by Christmas. I'm not sure which year though ...

·
Registered
V dirty ID.3
102 Posts
This a 'feature' aka bug that they got rid of - until they put it back in on the last map update. It's a simple one - the speed limit on uncalssified roads is 60mph. Some dimwit thinks it's 30mph. It did take them six months to get rid of it last time. Should be fixed by Christmas. I'm not sure which year though ...
Prehaps I should say unclassified ...

·
Registered
2020 e-Golf
777 Posts
Don’t forget that the camera on the car also reads signs, and not always reliably, so it might not be mapping data that is wrong.

Reactions: The Hawk
1 - 14 of 14 Posts