Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched the review of the Model X on The Grand Tour. It was actually much better than i expected for a Electric Car from Clarkson! He did make sure he was accompanied by Solicitors for part of the episode which was quite entertaining.

The only thing he really criticised was the price. What did everyone else think?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
His criticism of the price was dodgy as he claimed it cost £155k. No mention of it actually starting much cheaper.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
His criticism of the price was dodgy as he claimed it cost £155k. No mention of it actually starting much cheaper.
Given our X is more than half the price, looks and performs almost exactly the same, aside from the 0-60 time. Not sure if thats a good thing or not, but cannot disagree with his comments, its a fabulous car :).

·
Registered
12,848 Posts
I thought it was a very good review.

Clarkson was more impressed that he could draw a penis on the screen and summon the car with his phone. Small things for small minds. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I thought is was very good too, and amusing with the lawyers. He did genuinely seem to enjoy it, and didn’t once even allude to battery usage, or track limitations etc etc which would normally be the reposte of a petrol head.

I did wonder if the lack of any battery negativity was a silent acknowledgment of the shenanigans with the Roadster, but that may be giving him too much credit for subtlety.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I thought is was very good too, and amusing with the lawyers. He did genuinely seem to enjoy it, and didn’t once even allude to battery usage, or track limitations etc etc which would normally be the reposte of a petrol head.

I did wonder if the lack of any battery negativity was a silent acknowledgment of the shenanigans with the Roadster, but that may be giving him too much credit for subtlety.
He did try to mention that it doesn't do the 351 miles NECD. I have never heard him mention in a review that pretty much any ICE car on the road does not get the NECD ***mpg (unless @donald is driving).

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I recall them royally taking the piss out of his gt40 and it’s 8mpg or whatever.

Unless you are travelling at a steady 55 on flat ground most cars will struggle with it, however a bloke in the US did manage to get is Model S to turn in 500 miles, average speed of something like 28mph...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This X review from Clarkson is much better than Chris Harris video of the S P100D on Top Gear youtube channel. Harris try to compare the P100D to manual, noisy ICE cars for driving engagement, Harris completely missed the point of electric cars.

A few points of negative Clarkson did mention was true, but he failed to mention it is also true of ICE cars: cold weather range, unreliable manufacturer claimed range, car catching fire and price of top-of-the-range models.

Speaking of price, Model X sells from £75k upto £155k. Mercedes G class sells from £90k and G63 starts from £135k without options.

Only negative I consider true for me is the width of the car. But then, if Ford bought F150 to UK without any change, it would be even wider.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
G-wagen is an epic turdstack with absolutely no redeeming features other than Bliiiiiiing in Kensington.

Ok, so it can work off-road like a Defender, but not while wearing 22" spinners....

·
Registered
942 Posts
Was it true about the Model X not being allowed over Albert Bridge ? And , if so , presumably a lot of other width restricted roads.

·
Registered
12,848 Posts
Was it true about the Model X not being allowed over Albert Bridge ? And , if so , presumably a lot of other width restricted roads.
Just a width restriction I think.

The weight limit of 2.5 tonnes was lifted for non-goods vehicles a while back, apparently.

Either way it may be tricky.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I wonder if it can do a dance "frustration" mode every time it meets a width restriction :(
Just a width restriction I think.

The weight limit of 2.5 tonnes was lifted for non-goods vehicles a while back, apparently.

Either way it may be tricky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts