Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the forum, I have the impression that thermal issues at the plug-socket connection seem to be a fairly common problem with granny cables and a potential safety issue, especially for long continuous use.

I was thus wondering if it would be safer to hardwire a granny cable for regular home use into a fused connection unit (13A fuse) on a suitable circuit e.g. 32A ring that is not loaded too much else. What do people think?

Obviously this only works if you don't plan on bringing the cable with you, or have a spare for portable needs.

My thinking is that when I first get an EV there may well be a delay before I get dedicated fast wall charger and this would more safely allow charging with say an OHME 3-pin cable overnight via my garage. The garage is on a 32A ring and has a socket that could be converted into a FCU.

Oliver

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If its hard-wired as you describe, i'm fairly sure the rules require a dedicated circuit.

Keep the granny lead for occasional use and buy a proper charger. If you want ohme, get the one with the commando socket and have one of those fitted to your garage.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think you'll find granny chargers have more than 3 leads in the plug. There are a few extras connected to thermistors, which are there to check for overheating plugs. It won't work without that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The issue of overheating is possibly down to a poor quality outlet socket and/or insufficient copper wire screwed down. I am not a leccy but I believe some circuits require torque settings on the screwdrivers. Given that a granny charger uses the same as an electric kettle (maybe a bit more) most household circuits shouldn't be taxed unless running round a kitchen/utility room as well as being used for the charger. Having said that if you are doing overnight charging there shouldn't be much drawn on the circuit unless the kitchen fairies are set to wash clothes and clean dishes at the same time overnight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, sounds like there are some compelling reasons why I shouldn't pursue this.I have to say I'm really impressed by the expertise and the friendly and supportive nature of this forum.

If I find myself in the situation where I need to the use a granny cable for a prolonged period I think I'll simply get an electrician to carefully check that the garage socket and ring are up to spec and working as they should. Combined with a smoke alarm in the garage and regular checks on the temp of the plug this should give peace of mind.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
242 Posts
IMHO I think you're worrying too much. We used a granny cable to charge our Zoe for 15 months. Plugged in a socket in the garage which is supplied by twin+earth cable (was there when we moved in 32 years ago!) running from our 1976 built house with the twin+earth cable just clipped along the fence panels. We had zero problems and no heat issues whatsoever. I'm not mentioning this to be argumentative just telling how it was for us and shan't be entering into prolonged discussions about the rights, wrongs & pitfalls of such an arrangement.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I get my car next Monday, hard standing the week after and commando install when my friend isn't too busy: can't really chase her as she's doing the labour for free! But if there's any delay once the blockwork is in I'll use a granny out the front window until the commando is in. It'll actually work quite well as I'll use it during the day, and so can periodically check for overheating, and much of it will be from my solar. I'm not sure I'd want to use it overnight in the same way, but if I did I'd move one of my fire and CO alarms to be near the socket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts