Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. New to the forum - sorry if this has been discussed before (couldn't find anything). I have a BMW i3 which I mostly charge using a granny cable except on long journeys. I am planning a trip to France in the summer and will be mostly staying at a friend's house which is in the middle of nowhere. Has anyone heard of issues using granny cable in France? Was thinking of using my UK cable with a 13A adaptor plug... Sounds a bit dodgy as I write this 馃槅 but would do it on the low power charge setting!

I had an issue once with my wife's Zoe once where I planned to go away to forest of Dean, charge where we stayed, then drive home at end of trip. Damn thing kept tripping fault on granny lead and ended up with about 10 miles range to drive home on!!! So been burnt before (not literally 馃槈). I know Zoe does have a bad rep for earth issues when charging and haven't heard the same for i3 but worth asking all you experienced bods.

Ta

Premium Member
Should be OK with a decent adaptor such as below - do NOT use a travel adapter! Also, some houses have a very low committed supply so you may need to check that with your friend as you may need to avoid charging when using electric cooking, etc. Your granny may cope with (the French issue of) reverse polarity, some do. However a cable that can switch polarity is useful just incase!

Reactions: SoFar

Registered
I charged my Ampera OK in Belgium & Germany using a chunky continental 2-pin plug+cable originally for a computer, which I stuck a 13A socket on. It worked fine, but I absolutely didn't dare try charging at over 6A! Those little round pins really don't look very substantial to me...
And I've burnt out a couple of my 13A sockets in UK running granny at 10A, so it's not unknown to cook sockets! Avoid at all costs, if you don't want to annoy your hosts!

Premium Member
I take @HandyAndy point, but European sockets are technically rated for 16A so 10A should be fine if the house electrics are modern and you use a chunky adapter. I would have no qualms about 10A in our place in Spain.

For the Zoe European Granny you can actually get a higher rated European socket that will charge at 13A. It has a magnet to tell the granny 13A is OK.

Reactions: HandyAndy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts