Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using a granny charger with my Ioniq until my charging point is installed next week.
It works just fine. However I'm a little puzzled by the charging rate.

I was wrongly, it seems, expecting it to be somewhere in the region of 2.3kWh & in fact my Octopus Smart meter shows roughly this.

However the actual rate seems to be about 1.2kWh. This matches the rate that the car is charging. Also when I view my Octopus account online it shows as 1.18kWh (which includes anything running overnight e.g. fridge & freezer)

In case it's relevant, I'm using a 10m extension (a good quality one from Tough Leads)

Not worried, but would like to understand. Also am I getting my units mixed up?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
There may be a switch/button on the granny? Often you can select 6A or 10A rate on these. 6A with a 220V mains would be 1.32 kW, if 250V would be 1.5kW, so expect anywhere between these. Also I don't know if the reported rate is what's being drawn from the grid, or what's going usefully into the battery - deduct 10% for losses on the way!

Another possibility is if you're powering up the car to check, or have just unlocked it, it may well drop the current to 6A (which is the minimum that charging can take place at) on the basis that you might decide to pull the cable out, and the car doesn't want arcing/current surges if it's running at higher currents, so reducing to the min allowed just-in-case makes it easier to manage sudden cable-yank.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
609 Posts
I'm currently using a granny charger with my Ioniq until my charging point is installed next week.
It works just fine. However I'm a little puzzled by the charging rate.

I was wrongly, it seems, expecting it to be somewhere in the region of 2.3kWh & in fact my Octopus Smart meter shows roughly this.

However the actual rate seems to be about 1.2kWh. This matches the rate that the car is charging. Also when I view my Octopus account online it shows as 1.18kWh (which includes anything running overnight e.g. fridge & freezer)

In case it's relevant, I'm using a 10m extension (a good quality one from Tough Leads)

Not worried, but would like to understand. Also am I getting my units mixed up?
Yeah, the screen on the charger will show the rate. It's switchable between 6, 8 and 10Amps
There's a little rubber button in the back that cycles between the different rates, but you can't cycle it whilst the type 2 socket is connected to the car.
As Andy says, also the charge rate drops for 10-20 seconds or so when you unlock the doors (in anticipation of the cable being unplugged), but it drops to 0.5kW.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. As I said, when I view my account online, the half hour intervals overnight show about 1.18kWh which would probably indicate 6 amps? I'll check the charger screen more carefully next time, I tried pressing the button on it but was probably connected at that time. I think there was an "H" on the charger screen which I took to mean "High"'

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you confusing power (kW) and energy (kWh)? If you charge at 2.3kW for half an hour the energy consumed is 2.3kW x 0.5 hours = 1.15kWh

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@JerryH That makes sense. The only thing is that I was checking the battery level each hour for a while & it only seemed to rise by about 5 or 6% per hour. 5% of 28kWh being about 1.4 kWh? Which would mean I'm losing almost half the energy.. Or am I still confused - probably!
Next time I charge I will keep a better record. I thought there might be a charging history on the car but I can't see one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts