Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I hope to pick up a second EV for local trips. A Peugeot ION.
I have a tethered Zappi so that will be charging my main car (MG ZS) most of the time, so I'll need to keep the ION topped up with the original "Granny" charger.

So a couple of questions...

Will this lead be okay to extend the "Granny" cable?
It's rated Heavy Duty - 13A and 3120W.

The second question, are there any timer sockets/smart plugs that will be happy with the charger throughput for 4hrs at a time?

I think the plugin charger is only rated at 2.3kW, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,248 Posts
Care with overthinking this. The Ohme plug works most effectively when it can monitor via an API from the car manufacturer the amount of charge required by the car. Without this on the triplet it will have to be set to assume that a full charge is required which may mean that it doesn't use the optimum times. The ECOPUSH plug likewise has to be set to a fixed number of hours so again may not use the optimum times.
The onboard charger on the vehicle will be optomised for a particular current - most likely the maximum - and will be considerably less efficient at lower currents. I don't know the case for the triplets. This may mean that there is considerable benefit to investing in a second chargepoint which presumably you'll be entitled to an OLEV grant for. Consider perhaps the ChargedEV Smart+ or Ohme if that is the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts