Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be overthinking this, but I can't seem to find the instructions online. Is there a sequence I should follow when using a granny cable? For example is it:

TO PLUG IN
1. Press the 'charger unlock' switch
2. Plug the type 2 connector in to the car
3. Plug the 3 pin domestic plug in
4. Turn the domestic plug on at the wall

and is the correct unplugging sequence

TO UNPLUG
1. Press the 'charger unlock switch'
2. Unplug the type 2 connector
3. Turn the domestic plug off at the wall
4. Unplug the domestic plug

Or is there a safer sequence? When unplugging should I turn it off at the domestic wall plug first?

Many thanks!

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
503 Posts
it's called a granny cable as you can use it when you visit your granny.

The proper procedure is to plug the 3 pin plug in first, wait to see if the fault light comes on, then if OK plug the type 2 socket into the car.

To unplug press the cable release button in the car and remove the type 2 plug.

If you switch off at the wall socket first this can cause a fault condition with the car which will disable cruise control.

Hope this answers your questions rather than just takes the piss like previous posts.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,215 Posts
Charger first - car last! Regardless of the charger I say.

·
Registered
Ioniq
685 Posts
I think the important thing when unplugging is to get the car to stop charging before unplugging anything or switching anything off; flicking switches or pulling plugs while over 2kw is flowing is not good for things.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My Fluence seems to require me to open & close a door shortly before inserting lead, or it will not allow the plug to go right in. Anyone else had similar?

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
74 Posts
I'd like to know their thought process given that tethered units effectively force you to do the opposite...
When my Type 2 Home BP chargemaster unit was swapped out the installer made a point of saying : plug cable into car first then plug other end into charger.
The manual for the ZE50 clearly states that the cable should be connected to the power source first, then to the car.

And it is the reverse when disconnecting.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,182 Posts
The manual for the ZE50 clearly states that the cable should be connected to the power source first, then to the car.

And it is the reverse when disconnecting.
He said it was to protect the home charger ?
Old Charger worked for nearly 3 years Charged car ok but stopped giving information so they swapped it out in February.
New charger works but information is still the same as the old one intermittent and is supposed to be a smart charger using their App but it's not very good.
Also now the 3 years warranty is up even though I contacted them before locked down started in March.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I got stuck in a Polar 7kw charger today with a ZE50 as I apparently unplugged it in the wrong order, and had all kinds of faff trying to get it to charge on my home 7kw. I can’t even remember what rain dance I did in the end, but some kind of combination of RFID - car end - charger end eventually worked!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,215 Posts
I got stuck in a Polar 7kw charger today with a ZE50 as I apparently unplugged it in the wrong order, and had all kinds of faff trying to get it to charge on my home 7kw. I can’t even remember what rain dance I did in the end, but some kind of combination of RFID - car end - charger end eventually worked!
Seen this before, folk unlocking car end (actually never seen a Zoe owner do it) yank cable out car, attempt to yank charger end out, find its stuck. Plug car back in, go get rfid, end session, then pull car and then charger out. Then huff about because they got a few specs of rain on them. No consideration to the possible locking pin damage they've done to the charger yanking and yanking. Until the time when the pins are so bent out of shape they can't release, and they've got a long phone call to the charger operator and often a cable left on a public charger all weekend.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
611 Posts
He said it was to protect the home charger ?
Old Charger worked for nearly 3 years Charged car ok but stopped giving information so they swapped it out in February.
New charger works but information is still the same as the old one intermittent and is supposed to be a smart charger using their App but it's not very good.
Also now the 3 years warranty is up even though I contacted them before locked down started in March.
If you report a fault before the end of the guarantee they should still repair it free as it's not your fault they can't get to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sandy, what is the correct order to unplug from a public charger when using own T2 to T2 lead? I thought it was to unplug the car first?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The point is there shouldn’t be an order. Can you imagine if you had to unscrew your petrol cap in the right order?

This is why folk don’t buy EVs

·
Zoe Devotee
9,215 Posts
Sandy, what is the correct order to unplug from a public charger when using own T2 to T2 lead? I thought it was to unplug the car first?
ALWAYS end session first. Then remove from car!

The point is there shouldn’t be an order. Can you imagine if you had to unscrew your petrol cap in the right order?

This is why folk don’t buy EVs
Dunno if your realised this but the cap must be removed before pumping fuel, or you get wet feet and your range doesn't increase. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts