Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie electric car user :0). Any recommendations on the best way to protect cables from being chewed whilst in use outside. Charger is plugged in inside garage, granny charger module on floor inside the garage , yellow charging cable runs under the garage door along the drive to the car...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts
Hi, newbie electric car user :0). Any recommendations on the best way to protect cables from being chewed whilst in use outside. Charger is plugged in inside garage, granny charger module on floor inside the garage , yellow charging cable runs under the garage door along the drive to the car...
Maybe hire a cat?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Rodents just LOVE that cable installation !.
Apparently, then can smell the oil that is used in the make up of the plastic, it gives the cable it's the flexibility.
My nephew has a small oak tree on the green about 100 yards from his front drive.
When his car would not start one morning, he rang the recovery services.
The grey squirrels had chewed through one of the wiring harness in the engine bay.
What about something like this ?.
Maybe they are not so fussy on rubber !.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Get a properly installed charging unit on the outside of your garage. Problem solved and you will be able to charge the car quicker and, if available, preheat and defrost the car in winter before you drive away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies all..

if I hired a cat it might chew the cable (seen that before).. then I'd have to get a dog... Which might also chew the cable.. then what.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Insert it into some lengths of plastic trunking - 20mm square would probably do. This wouldn't require removing the plug to slide sleeving over it.
Alternatively, spiral wrapping might help, its tough stuff.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Get a properly installed charging unit on the outside of your garage. Problem solved and you will be able to charge the car quicker and, if available, preheat and defrost the car in winter before you drive away.
Odd answer, you can still preheat and warm the interior even with a granny charger.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Odd answer, you can still preheat and warm the interior even with a granny charger.
Yes, did that this morning in my Leaf with a granny charger. I'm not sure if the EV battery still charges or whether the mains is used to keep the 12v battery charged whilst its powering the heating, seat and steering wheel, but at least these are not reducing the miles.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
630 Posts
We have used these on the farm in the past:

With cattle feed about you can develop a serious rodent problem, this stuff is evil and will kill everything in a single feeding.

You are supposed to have a license to buy it, but you can pick it up on eBay it seems!

God love em!

In the immortal words of Samuel L Jackson......

When you absolutely positively got to kill every motherf***er in the garage, accept no substitutes! 😂

Wear gloves and don’t let your pets or kids near it!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
If they

Do animals not chew the cables of these then? :unsure:
In the last 7.5 years never had any trouble with my cables and they lie on the ground all the time even when the car is not plugged in the end of the cable was just hung over the Rolec or is now over the zappi and these were installed on an outside wall.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I was thinking along the lines that the car will use more power to pre-heat than the granny charger can supply so will also use some of the battery and so you could end up with less power in the battery than if you did not pre-heat. Waiting on the battery to get back to the pre-heat level and the car will have cooled down. Also from what I understand using the granny charger is less efficient as the losses will be over a greater time.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
I had my heating on 30mins this morning with the granny charger still connected and the SOC meter never dropped from the 65% it was showing before I switched everything on. (Leaf E+)

The 2.2kw from the granny charger is more than enough to heat the car - imagine a 2kw fan heater placed in it - it would take only a minute or two in such a small volume.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
630 Posts
I had my heating on 30mins this morning with the granny charger still connected and the SOC meter never dropped from the 65% it was showing before I switched everything on. (Leaf E+)

The 2.2kw from the granny charger is more than enough to heat the car - imagine a 2kw fan heater placed in it - it would take only a minute or two in such a small volume.
On a 62kW leaf preheating on battery alone would only use circa 1% SOC your battery is large.

If you repeated that experiment with a 24kW leaf it would probably use 2% as well as the power from the granny.

it will have used some battery power, you just can’t see it because your battery is so large.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts