Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Sorry, I think this might be a very stupid question but here goes as I'm not sure!

Can I leave my granny charger plugged in and switched on in a 3 pin socket all the time (in the same way our Pod Point is always switched on), or must it be switched off when not in use? Was wondering whether the cable and plug on the car end is "dead" unless the car is calling for juice, in which case it might be safe to leave it switched on all the time, ideally with a holster installed outside the garage to hold the type 1 head.

I've got it plugged in inside my garage (the box of tricks is inside in the dry too) with the cable coming out under the garage door to my car 5 metres away. I could locate the car end of the plug under cover in a side passageway where the worst of the weather would be away from it.

If there is any doubt about the safety of leaving it on I can obviously go into the garage and turn the switch off each time, but it would be more convenient if this is not necessary especially at times when there is snow up against the garage door etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi all

Sorry, I think this might be a very stupid question but here goes as I'm not sure!

Can I leave my granny charger plugged in and switched on in a 3 pin socket all the time (in the same way our Pod Point is always switched on), or must it be switched off when not in use? Was wondering whether the cable and plug on the car end is "dead" unless the car is calling for juice, in which case it might be safe to leave it switched on all the time, ideally with a holster installed outside the garage to hold the type 1 head.

I've got it plugged in inside my garage (the box of tricks is inside in the dry too) with the cable coming out under the garage door to my car 5 metres away. I could locate the car end of the plug under cover in a side passageway where the worst of the weather would be away from it.

If there is any doubt about the safety of leaving it on I can obviously go into the garage and turn the switch off each time, but it would be more convenient if this is not necessary especially at times when there is snow up against the garage door etc.

Thanks
I think you could leave it powered up ?.
But I turned my unit off after removing the charging cable.
On the VW “Granny” it would run through a set up and system check of the unit each time the power supply was connected.
Even though the unit is in standby mode, it must be pulling some juice from the socket to activate the display on top of the “Granny”.
Just safer to power it down really I think.
If it’s plugged in all of the time and powered up, could it be at risk of a power spike etc ???.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If you're using it every day (night), so it's on the car for say 15 hours and only off while you're at work, then I'd leave it on. It will use some power in standby, so if it's only used every few days it would be better to kill it for that time.

I'd switch it off and unplug/replug every month or so just to keep the plug and socket contacts clean too.

The main power will only be applied to the outlet once it's plugged in to the car and comms established via the pilot pins, so there's not much risk of shock. But obviously you need to keep the plug clean and dry.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,126 Posts
A couple of suggestions:-
1, There are no stupid questions, we were all new to this at one point, or it is the first time the topic has cropped up.
2, if you are leaving the plug end "...under cover in a side passageway ..." just make sure that a cap or some type of tight cover is over it to stop any wee bugs crawling inside, I believe they are not very good at conducting power either squished or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have used my granny charger every day for the last two and a half years. It is plugged into a waterproof socket on the house and hangs on a hook on the wall exposed to all weathers. I leave it switched on all the time unless we go away for a few days when I give it a rest.
My GTE is plugged in any time it's in the drive.

No problems so far.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,670 Posts
Hi all

Thanks
It's fine for the brick lead, no problem there.

It is questionable whether it is better to leave it in or remove the plug, though. What you need to check routinely is how hot the plug is after an hour or so of charging, at some point the receptacles will slacken off in the socket and you'll get an 'unintended thermal event'. Every few days at least. It'll happen quickly and suddenly, if it happens at all, because it is a positive feedback process. So you need to get very used to 'feeling' for the plug getting too hot and pick up anything that seems anomalous.

Whether it is better to leave the plug in, where the receptacles might stretch over time, or pull out and put the receptacles through open-close cycles, I really don't know. Depends on the spring quality of the metal in the plug, I guess.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your advice and thoughts.

Most of the time I’ll be using the granny lead for just preheating duties when it’s cold, or the odd top up, which I will monitor as Donald suggests. When I can I’ll use our 7kw charger on Octopus Go times, but in the cold my wife needs her leaf charging most nights.

On the 10a granny lead on preheat the HVAC is pulling more and needs to use the cars battery too, so this is more about comfort and convenience at 6.30 in the morning than anything! Really could do with a second 7kw charger but suspect the meter tails and 80amp fuse would need an upgrade so could be a costly install even with the second OLEV grant.

Maybe an electrician would fit a 32amp commando outside on the wall run back to the meter cupboard for a fair chunk less. I could get all the cabling in place for them then too to save on costs.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
You'll only get heating on the plug when it is taking significant current. It will be stone cold at other times.

It is important, as someone has already said, that you plug and unplug periodically to keep the contacts clean. Once a year give the plug contacts a very gentle clean with the finest emery paper you can find and then carefully clean off with contact cleaning fluid or IPA (Isopropyl alcohol, not the beer), allow it to dry off before plugging in again.

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
Really could do with a second 7kw charger but suspect the meter tails and 80amp fuse would need an upgrade so could be a costly install even with the second OLEV grant.
You would be fine with a PODPoint as they now fit a current monitor as standard. Presumably at 6am you don't have much else drawing power so both preheating should be OK?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Proddick, yes, my wife preheats later as she doesn’t leave until after the school run, so loading would be fine. We could perhaps switch to Agile and then we could charge at different times of the night to never go over 7kw between us. Might need to switch to Agile anyway after Christmas if no better export tarrifs appear. We don’t qualify for FIT on our solar so at the minute get paid nothing, but from 1 Jan the smart export guarantee is supposed to come in for all big suppliers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts