Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, can any granny charger- be used to charge any EV?

I ask on behalf of a friend who has a VW id3 and is wondering if that charger can be used on an MG ZS ev.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
611 Posts
As the title says, can any granny charger- be used to charge any EV?

I ask on behalf of a friend who has a VW id3 and is wondering if that charger can be used on an MG ZS ev.

Thanks.
Should do, as long as it is the correct type, ie type 1 or type 2 (most are type 2 now)
Places like Screwfix and Toolstation sell them, if you needed a spare or replacement.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
346 Posts
Yes, so long as the connector is the same. I use my wife's smart ForTwo electric Drive's granny charger on my ZS EV as it has a variable charge rate. It works fine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
80698 beat me to it... but there’s also plenty of other places to buy these, EVonestop etc.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Yes. The only difference between granny chargers is whether you can reduce the charge current ( e.g. for use on questionable supplies), but anything that has the right type of plug should work fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. The only difference between granny chargers is whether you can reduce the charge current ( e.g. for use on questionable supplies), but anything that has the right type of plug should work fine.
I was wondering whether the car communicated with the charger to adjust charge rate, and thus is vehicle specific? .....or is this handled by the charger fitted in the vehicle?

I believe there is actually a setting for charge rate adjustment within the settings in my BMW i3, I wonder, does every car have this setting?

The other issue is whether using a third party granny charger would be detrimental to the cars warranty?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,987 Posts
I was wondering whether the car communicated with the charger to adjust charge rate, and thus is vehicle specific? .....or is this handled by the charger fitted in the vehicle?

I believe there is actually a setting for charge rate adjustment within the settings in my BMW i3, I wonder, does every car have this setting?

The other issue is whether using a third party granny charger would be detrimental to the cars warranty?
Yes, it's part of the EVSE standard as the charge rate needs to tail off as the battery reaches full charge.

Some cars have the ability to fix the amps, such as 6 or 8 amps, as opposed to the standard 10 amps you get supplied with a granny.

If the charger is a Type 2 standard it shouldn't affect warranty. No more than filling a petrol car at Shell vs BP.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As you are using third party public chargers why should a third party granny charger be a waranty issue?

On the charging current question the Tesla model 3 also allows you to adjust the current.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The charger (EVSE) tells the car the maximum it's allowed to draw, the car's onboard charger decides what it needs throughout the charge. For the low power available via a granny, it will usually be the maximum until pretty near 100%

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Some do ( e.g. Kona, though it's a percentage reduction, not absolute value)
Absolutely not, except maybe if it has some catastrophic fault that damages the car, which is highly unlikely in practice.

·
Registered
268 Posts

The EVSE communicates with the vehicle's on-board charger to state the maximum current is available. It's then down to the vehicle's on-board charger to draw as much current as it needs, up to that limit, in order to charge the battery and/or pre-heat the cabin or whatever.
Some vehicles allow the driver to further limit the vehicle's power draw below what is offered, in case you're plugging into a questionable power supply. Certainly, Nissan leafs don't have that charge current limiter setting.
There should be some failsafe in the form of a breaker or similar if a faulty vehicle doesn't abide by the limit to prevent the building wiring from melting under the load.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
...Absolutely not, except maybe if it has some catastrophic fault that damages the car, which is highly unlikely in practice.
Unlikely, but not unknown. Just had £1300 bill for new chargeport & new charger-controller in Ampera, when 5-year old granny EVSE blew up and fed the car 240V down the CP low-voltage signal wire I reckon... :mad:

So I'm now going to severely restrict my use of granny & try to put her out to pasture as much as poss! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: cdlb
1 - 16 of 16 Posts