Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Today I had a quote for an EV charging point at the rear of my home. A bit more expensive than I first thought but mainly due to a change in finances at home post covid.

I'm currently charging using a tough leads extension and granny charger. The cable doesn't cross any public space.

Is this suitable to use long term? E.g. granny charger?

Thanks
Ross

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
146 Posts
Hi All

Today I had a quote for an EV charging point at the rear of my home. A bit more expensive than I first thought but mainly due to a change in finances at home post covid.

I'm currently charging using a tough leads extension and granny charger. The cable doesn't cross any public space.

Thanks
Ross
Thats a question only you can answer. How many times week will you have to charge? How many miles are you doing? Its all dependent on that. It's viable but, as you know, very slow & can you live with it.
\

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
I only use my granny charger as it’s more to have a charge point properly installed in m6 back garden and buy a long enough type 2 lead.

Im having a commando socket installed on outside wall, buying a cheap granny charger so I can leave my Nissan one in my car and using a 2.5mm lead all commando to commando.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
146 Posts
I only use my granny charger as it’s more to have a charge point properly installed in m6 back garden and buy a long enough type 2 lead.

Im having a commando socket installed on outside wall, buying a cheap granny charger so I can leave my Nissan one in my car and using a 2.5mm lead all commando to commando.
I lived with a 16A commando for 2 months no issue with it.

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
451 Posts
Check the plug on the extension lead isn't getting warm, as it won't be protected by a thyristor like the plug on the granny lead is. Ideally you should get something more permanent installed, but I used the granny lead (knocked down to 8 amps) every night for four or five months whilst I got round to laying swa cable and getting an sparky in.
I must say having a 32 amp charger makes me far happier to return home with a low state of charge, knowing I can get some range back into the car fairly quickly, rather than potentially being unable to go somewhere, due to car being almost flat.(Not that this ever happened, I just worried it might).

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
146 Posts
I must say having a 32 amp charger makes me far happier to return home with a low state of charge, knowing I can get some range back into the car fairly quickly, rather than potentially being unable to go somewhere, due to car being almost flat.(Not that this ever happened, I just worried it might).
And therein lies the rub! On Monday I was at 25% and at 9pm I learned I had to do a 180 mile round journey early the next morning. 32A Type 2 no issue. If i'd been using my Granny charger forget it.

Reactions: UniqueGeorge

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I got my charger installed, the electrician said that over the long term it damages the wiring in the house. Something to do with the high current that it draws. It is similar to the current draw of an electric oven, difference being the electric current is on its own circuit etc.

There was also a comment about home insurers catching on the the damage caused by having a grab at charter on all the time. But this may have been a sales tactic I have no way of corroborating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Got a quote today, £75 for a 16 amp commando socket on a dedicated circuit for my granny charger

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
112 Posts
Got a quote today, £75 for a 16 amp commando socket on a dedicated circuit for my granny charger
Wow that seems quite good, It's way cheaper than the prices im getting. Where have I gone wrong?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi All

Thanks
Ross
Is yours a non standard install a standard install with OLEV grant is around 249 quid ,and this includes the fitting and earthing connection , I got the charged ev smart plus 7.2 KWh universal unit fitted

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
23 Posts
Assuming that you don't have any other heavy loads on the ring then I can't really see that the granny charger would cause an issue long term. We're currently near the end of building an extension so it's not practical to install the fast charger until complete therefore I've simply connected a Sonoff switch into the outside socket wiring and we're using that for timed charging.

When charging according to the Sonoff it only consumes around 2.2Kw which is fine for a 13 amp socket even long term. When in use even during a long session neither the plug or the Sonoff get particularly warm. That said I don't know if other granny chargers maybe charge at a higher rate in which case ignore my advice!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I know a lot of people have to rely on a “Granny” lead for almost all of their charging needs.
I used a “Granny” lead for the first seven months of ownership on my last PHEV.
I had it running through its own dedicated circuit from the D.B.
It worked absolutely fine pretty much every night, but speaking purely in a personal basis here, I don’t see them as a good long term solution.
A purpose built wall box installed is a much better long term answer for both longevity, speed of charging and reduced stress on the three pin socket outlet of your home.
Continually pulling a heavy load via the same socket outlet CAN result in failure of that outlet due to excessive heat.
I really don’t like the idea of using an extension lead period to be honest, and not on a regular basis anyway.
Using a lead that could be under rated for the high load or is still coiled up, is a big NO NO in my book.
I really get worried that some folks could be plugging in a basic DIY extension lead, to charge the car with a “Granny” charger.
The same wind up extension lead that would be used to power an electric drill or plugged into a vacuum to clean the inside the car.
You know the type of thing, an £8 thing you get at your local discount shop.
It really sends a cold shiver down my back.
“Granny” chargers appear to have a pretty high failure rate
and are not a cheap thing to keep having to replace.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
The latest regulations on EV charging points are for owners safety, but have increased costs. Using a portable EVSE (aka Granny) as a way to circumvent those regulations on a regular basis isn't the best idea. Occasional use (as intended) reduces risk, but still isn't risk free.

If the EVSE doesn't have DC protection (few if any do) leakage could blind the house RCD rendering it useless if there was a house fault, with potentially fatal results. In addition, on a PME supply a neutral fault could result in the EVSE earth being high potential to true ground, which could be dangerous if charging outside and why most EVSE need an earth rod fitting.

Please, no replies saying "I have charged using a granny for 5 years and no issues" as that really isn't the point. You may not have crashed your car for 5 years but I assume still wear a seat belt?

Article below is technical but explains

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If anyone is going to use a portable EVSE for a prolonged period, please ensure it's a quality item such as the OHME devices: the datasheets for these confirm that there is protection against DC earth leakage, 6mA.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
If the EVSE doesn't have DC protection (few if any do)
I agree with you 100% that the "Granny lead" should only be used for occasional use. I find the Ohme leads often recommended on this Forum by other posters slightly strange - they do have DC protection but when wired via a "Commando" socket the issue of Earth protection appears to be ignored as it isn't strictly an EVSE arrangement. For the reasons that you quote a TT Earth is the only fully safe way to go but seems to often be considered to be in the "too difficult" category and PME is used.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I agree with you 100% that the "Granny lead" should only be used for occasional use. I find the Ohme leads often recommended on this Forum by other posters slightly strange - they do have DC protection but when wired via a "Commando" socket the issue of Earth protection appears to be ignored as it isn't strictly an EVSE arrangement. For the reasons that you quote a TT Earth is the only fully safe way to go but seems to often be considered to be in the "too difficult" category and PME is used.
Why slightly strange?
A Commando outlet is completely agnostic as to how it's wired in.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Why slightly strange?
A Commando outlet is completely agnostic as to how it's wired in.
Strange was the wrong word, and you are right that the Commando outlet is agnostic to how it is wired. My concern is that some people may not consider the Earth needs properly and just wire the Commando outlet as a PME like the rest of the property.

@mikeselectricstuff did an excellent teardown test and revealed a couple of other issues, but that isn't to say that other EVSE don't share some of them.

Ohme smart charging cable tests and teardown

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
If anyone is going to use a portable EVSE for a prolonged period, please ensure it's a quality item such as the OHME devices: the datasheets for these confirm that there is protection against DC earth leakage, 6mA.
Good to hear. I may sell my Renault 13A one (which I doubt has) and buy one on Octopus deal. Has anyone tested on Zoe?

I use my Renault one at family and friends houses, but only if they have outside or garage socket and recent electrics. In Ampera I would reduce current but not viable with Zoe - it is far from efficient at 10A!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts