Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to modify the granny charger to make it a bit more useable. Does anyone know if the 13A plug has thermal sensing? Anyone managed to open it up?

I either want to swap the 13A plug with a commando plug, or better, swap the whole inlet cable with a longer lead (also with a commando plug)

Almost anywhere i use it needs extension leads, and i'd rather extend with a nice 2.5mm^2 lead with commando sockets than standard mains extension leads, especially as it runs at pretty high current.

The springy type 2 lead on it makes it bloody useless as it doesnt reach anything and the 30cm of mains flex is also redicluous

·
Registered
133 Posts
A bit late, but for the benfit of anyone else... Some pEVSEs have thermal sensing in the 13A plug (some have it in the EV-side plug, too) - notably those supplied with some Mitsubishis, Renaults and BMW/Audi/Mercedes (generally made by Delphi). As you haven't said which you have, it's hard to say! You can re-produce the thermal sensing easily enough for those I mentioned above but there are others that I have yet to get my hands on. However, as long as you have a good mains supply (ie a good earth and good quality/well maintained sockets, consumer unit (fue box) and wiring) you will normally have no issues with using a good quality extension as long as it is not coiled up when in use and is in - as you say - 2.5mm2 cable - up to a max length - IMO - of about 10m. You must however, regularly check that plugs/sockets are not getting hot. They will certainly get warm after an hour or more at 10A but this is not a problem. With age, use, wear'n'tear and particularly dirt/damp, the connections will start to increase in their resistance and resistance = heat! More heat, more resistance... and you can see where this might go...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts