Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just got my mg zs ev today. Rapid charged on way home and want to charge overnight with granny lead. The mg logo will not light up and the car has a message saying connected but not charging. The granny lead is showing green flashing light though. Im pretty sure it isnt charging though. Any ideas please?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,664 Posts
Hi all. Just got my mg zs ev today. Rapid charged on way home and want to charge overnight with granny lead. The mg logo will not light up and the car has a message saying connected but not charging. The granny lead is showing green flashing light though. Im pretty sure it isnt charging though. Any ideas please?
Have you locked the doors?

Is the plug firmly in the socket?

Sorry about this question, but it's next on the checklist. Is there power to the granny cable and is it switched on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Yes yes and yes. But no charge really worried as i need it for work, what should have been an exciting day is a bit of a mare!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,664 Posts
Hi. Yes yes and yes. But no charge really worried as i need it for work, what should have been an exciting day is a bit of a mare!
Do you have enough to reach work? I know you've just picked it up, but if you have a 20 mile round trip and your range is showing 40 miles you should be fine. Just don't drive it like you stole it. Then have a word with the dealer whilst you're at work (if you can).

otherwise 3 options:

Do you know someone with an MG granny cable? (any granny should work, but I'm loath to say so just in case)

An early alarm and a trip to a charger on route

A return trip to the dealer.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could it not be powerline adaptors used to transmit internet through your house wiring, I have heard / read that having these plugged in somehow stops the car charging, if you've got any maybe try unplugging them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Adrian, I have something similar with my granny charger. It appears my type 2 plug end isn't perfectly match with the car's socket. I have to wiggle it to find a perfect the angle so that the car can lock the plug in place. On average 4-5 tries, sometimes more. I now use my 7kw wall charger so no longer a major problem for me. Hope helps. Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it not be powerline adaptors used to transmit internet through your house wiring, I have heard / read that having these plugged in somehow stops the car charging, if you've got any maybe try unplugging them
Thanks. I have done that but still no charge

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,664 Posts
Hi Adrian, how did you get on today. Any luck getting a charge?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The green light flashing on the charger indicates it is ready but not charging. It goes steady green when charging. There is a handshake between car and charger before charging starts. If it does not work when you expect, open/close the car again, this should trigger a new handshake attempt. You can also try unplugging the mains to the granny charger to trigger the handshake from that side. The granny charger does seem to be more prone to this problem. As mentioned earlier in the post, this may be due to poor fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Adrian, how did you get on today. Any luck getting a charge?
Hi. Yes i did. I plugged in the type 2 and that fitted fine, i dont have a wall box though, then the granny lead went straight in and locked. I think the type 2 may have dislodged something!
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
A dedicated wall box is better solution long term going forward.
This way, you have two forms available for charging your car should you experience any future issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts