Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just had a service on my i3 and the granny charger will not charge the car, but was charging the day before via this method.
l went to Tesco and charged on a fast charge Pod-Point. This would seem to indicate a problem with the charger and not the car.
Anyone had similar issues before l girl out £180 for a new one.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Are there any lights on the granny unit? Have you plugged something else into the socket outlet to check that it’s working? Is the car set to immediate charge and what charge rate is set?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any lights on the granny unit? Have you plugged something else into the socket outlet to check that it’s working? Is the car set to immediate charge and what charge rate is set?
granny charger keeps flickering red, tried in a different plug and the car is set to immediate charge (reduced).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is this one of the new chargers? I've still not responded to the recall on the old chargers to get a new one with a plug better suited to outdoor sockets but will do so after lockdown. If you've not done it yet, could you not get a new one via the recall? If it is a new one then its not lasted long and should be replaced under warranty I'd have thought??

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is this one of the new chargers? I've still not responded to the recall on the old chargers to get a new one with a plug better suited to outdoor sockets but will do so after lockdown. If you've not done it yet, could you not get a new one via the recall? If it is a new one then its not lasted long and should be replaced under warranty I'd have thought??
Is this why my I3 came with 2 granny chargers? an old one and a brand new one in a bag

·
Registered
880 Posts
When you take it to the dealer they will substitute the old granny with a complete new unit so you shouldn’t really still have the old one. There is a safety issue if the plug is not fully inserted into the socket and the oversized plug was a problem with shrouded sockets as used outdoors and elsewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts