Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the manual says not to use extension leads, but I’m taking my Passat GTE on holiday next week and will not be able to charge at the accommodation unless I trail a lead outside through a window.

I have a 25m heavy-duty outdoor extension reel, would this be ok or is it a no-no?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,155 Posts
I know the manual says not to use extension leads, but I’m taking my Passat GTE on holiday next week and will not be able to charge at the accommodation unless I trail a lead outside through a window.

I have a 25m heavy-duty outdoor extension reel, would this be ok or is it a no-no?
Well it's clearly not officially recommended.

However I did exactly what you are proposing using my standard garden extension lead for our summer holiday three years ago. This was before I discovered this forum and learned to worry about everything!

Absolutely no problems.

I did pay the landlord £10 per week for the electricity. She was fascinated by this new idea. I wonder if she's installed a charger since then.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,365 Posts
There are extension leads and then there are extension leads.

if it’s suitably rated and you don’t leave the unused part on the reel, then you should be good.

The riskiest thing about charging from a holiday cottage is that you don’t know how good the wiring/socket is that you’re plugging into.

I use a 15m tough leads extension with an inline RCD, which is rated to 13A and weatherproof.

I also usually reduce the charge rate in the car to the lowest setting, which on the e-Golf is just over 1kw, if I’ve got concerns about the quality of the socket and wiring I’m connecting to.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another happy tough leads user here. I haven’t paid cottage owners yet but would if asked. Good idea to turn down the power draw, will do that next time I think.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
All great advise as usual folks !.
We paid a visit to family who where staying in a brand new static caravan in Harlech about two months ago.
The charging infrastructure was not great in that location so I made up a extension lead using a 2.5mm three core flex and fitted with a MK good quality three pin plug and a single water proof three pin socket.
My ZS EV does not have the facility to adjust the supply rate when using the supplied “Granny” charger, therefore I believe it is pulling 10 Amps when charging.
I only charged with the extension lead fully extended and for short period of time.
From memory it only gave us about an additional 15 miles I think.
I did not want to risk “Popping” the breaker on a family members brand new caravan.
I am not very keen on having to use an extension lead period, but it provide a small cushion of range to see us return home.
We had never made the journey there and back on a single charge before, so being able to take in a bit of juice was great.
We charged to full before we left ( 166 miles according to the GOM ) and we covered almost 140 actual miles in both directions.
We arrived home with just less than 30 miles, so yes we could have made the trip without the small top up, but it did provide a little bit of a comfort zone.
My Granny unit live on the wall of the garage and only makes an appearance for such trips, it does have its uses then !.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I sometimes trail a charger out of the window at my in-laws, 15 miles of additional range makes the difference of arriving home with 20 miles vs 5 a significantly more comfortable experience.

I generally don't use an extension in the UK but when visiting the office in Belgium i use a Schuko extension which is then rated for 13A as the office put in 40 waterproof sockets for people to charge while at work. The draw on that is 13A as they are rated for 16A and will be sitting on that for 8 hours, it is all stowed safely away from the elements.

As has been said, use a high rated lead and always ensure it is fully uncoiled, you may wish to also take a Dri-box ( Dri-box on Amazon ) or similar with you to ensure it is all safely water resistant. If your lead is on a cable reel and socketed on the side you should think about how you ensure it is weather resistant, not sure bunging it all in the boot might work, but worth working that one out before you have arrived!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've used an extension lead with RCD for over 2yrs with no problem. Do not use a reel unless it's fully unwound. Google 'solenoid' and 'coiled extensions' and fire' and you'll see why.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have indeed used an extension lead to run out of a window. Just like you, we were on holiday ! Just make sure to unwind it fully, and I used to drop the maximum charge current down to 10 Amps using the WeConnect app.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Granny chargers limit to 10A on a UK socket anyway, Schuko tops out at 13A both leaving 3A headroom on their spec, as it is for continuous use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts