Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

In the middle of the night our Ampera woke the family up with the "chirping" sound indicating the charging stopped.

It seems like the granny charger cable unit is broken. See video for the noice it makes.

Question(s):
  • My 2014 still has 2 years of Voltec warranty left. Will it cover?
  • If not: Have you heard the noice and repaired it?
Video: New video by Jens Bergbom

Thanks for your help and assistance!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
This is supported under the first owner lifetime warranty It may be supported by the Voltec one, you need to ask your Ampera Dealer.

That sounds like the contactor chattering so the electronics have probably failed.

For replacements:-
Screwfix do one Type 1 EVSE
Leaf and Mitsubishi ones turn up in the classifieds sometimes and on ebay.

Repairing it is probably possible - this one I think is screwed together with Torx screws. Never taken mine apart as its still working, its rarely used though as I have a 16A (3.6kW) old chargemaster unit for charging.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,394 Posts
I think you could argue that it is part of the Voltec system and therefore covered by the 8-year/100,000-mile warranty. As it happens I found this copy of an email that a member received a while back, it might be worth quoting it. Remember it will probably have to be an authorised Ampera garage for any warranty claims.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Give it a go , when I emailed vauxhall about this it was confirmed it was not covered however your dealer may have a different view some people have been lucky in the past or it was covered under the 3 year B2B. That said I picked up a Nissan Leaf three pin charger that I used for around 18 months on ebay for around £150 the type 1 chargers are quite cheap and the nissan leaf one is excellent.

Dear
Thank you for your email dated 20th august 2018 in regards to your Vauxhall Ampera, vehicle registration number XXXXXXX.
I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your Voltec charger. In regards to your question enquiry on whether the charger is covered under the 8 year voltec warranty, I can advise that unfortunately the warranty covers only the battery and not the charger itself.
I apologize for the disappointing news however if you require further assistance or have any more queries please feel free to contact us via telephone on 0800 026 0034 or alternatively via reply email on [email protected].
Yours sincerely
Khuram Farooq
Vauxhall Motors UK
Customer care advisor

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
That letter is wrong, the 8 year Voltec warranty covers the HV drivetrain as well not only the battery. This type of miss-information is why my next EV will not be a Vauxhall.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the request was for the three pin EVSE commonly known as the charger , I agree the on board charger should be covered , I do agree Vauxhall support is the biggest minus for the Ampera as a vehicle , the best support is from the forums. I expect that longer term the Ampera's in the uk will disappear from lack of engineering support.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Reactions: Jeremy Parsons

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had two granny leads replaced under warranty. Pentagon in Sheffield had no problem with replacing them.
Very helpful generally too.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hi
Think the dealer in Newbury I think did it, Bellingers?

·
Registered
370 Posts
My Granny Charger is working fine - however, the green LEDs no longer function. I don't know when they failed because I usually plug it in during daylight and it was only recently when I plugged in after dusk that I noticed the omission. The lack of green lights has not affected the charge rate.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Graham, if the EVSe's working, I wouldn't worry about lack of green LED. Maybe the lead has fractured, or the chip itself has failed. Pretty unusual, but not impossible! When the whole thing packs up, I might be able to have a look inside for you; I pulled mine apart when it started overheating, and managed to replace the relays & that's now sorted.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just a thought - if my granny charger fails I will be unable to charge because, after three months, I am still waiting for EO to repair or replace the faulty charger that they supplied . . .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a thought - if my granny charger fails I will be unable to charge because, after three months, I am still waiting for EO to repair or replace the faulty charger that they supplied . . .
What's the problem with your EO charger?

·
Registered
370 Posts
It just stopped working - the guy who installed it came out and checked the installation and mumbled something about one of the internal components being unreliable and that he had seen similar failures. He advised me to contact EO but three months on all they have done is say they are waiting for a report from the installer. The constant delay is very annoying.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
It just stopped working - the guy who installed it came out and checked the installation and mumbled something about one of the internal components being unreliable and that he had seen similar failures. He advised me to contact EO but three months on all they have done is say they are waiting for a report from the installer. The constant delay is very annoying.
Legally your contract is with the installer not EO. Assuming that you got the OLEV grant then you had three years guarantee including on-site Service and repair. Get the lazy bu66er back and make him do what he was paid for. If he refuses contact OLEV to get him struck off and the responsibility passed to EO. :devilish:

Reactions: GJO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to hear. Not a great response from EO

·
Registered
370 Posts
Legally your contract is with the installer not EO. Assuming that you got the OLEV grant then you had three years guarantee including on-site Service and repair. Get the lazy bu66er back and make him do what he was paid for. If he refuses contact OLEV to get him struck off and the responsibility passed to EO.
That is very useful to know - I will contact the installer again tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts