Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of any destination charging solution which is based on providing small lockable cabinets which can be used to house the customer's portable 3 pin plug EVSE (Granny) ?

All it would need is a rugged 13A socket and a circuit breaker for fault protection with a waterproof but ventilated cabinet design and sufficiently secure locks to deter anyone wanting to steal the customers' EVSE units.

For many use cases, where the car will be parked all day, a 2-3kW charge rate for the entire time that the car is charged is probably more that the customer needs.

·
Registered
595 Posts
No, but it's a great idea!
And the design you describe could be the custom thing to implement.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
13A sockets are not suitable for long term use for EV charging, and if i remember correctly the electrical regs specifically state they should not be installed for the purpose of EV charging.

The car locks the cable in anyway, so i'm not sure what advantage the lockable cabinet gets you?

But really, its not a solution, the correct solution is Type2 sockets, which can be done very cheaply if your not wanting any logging/billing back end.

·
Premium Member
11,591 Posts
13A sockets aren't generally installed now for public charging due to reliability and safety issues - even at 10A they didn't wear well and were easily damaged, so maintenance costs were high. They did usually lock the 13A plug in place to stop vandalism, wilful disconnection and theft of EVSE (early Type 1 plugs were not locked) The EVSE was left exposed to avoid overheating, etc. With battery sizes increasing the trend is now towards 22kW rather than down to 2.2kW but I can see there may still be a use case.

I would recommend not trying to enclose the EVSE as sizes vary too much, but use below with the lock option if you want to stop disconnection.

I haven't purchased the 2020 CoP, but it is possible above doesn't comply in a public location.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
281 Posts
Is anyone aware of any destination charging solution which is based on providing small lockable cabinets which can be used to house the customer's portable 3 pin plug EVSE (Granny) ?

All it would need is a rugged 13A socket and a circuit breaker for fault protection with a waterproof but ventilated cabinet design and sufficiently secure locks to deter anyone wanting to steal the customers' EVSE units.

For many use cases, where the car will be parked all day, a 2-3kW charge rate for the entire time that the car is charged is probably more that the customer needs.

As @ohit1 rightly said what a great idea!

Fixed 13a sockets may not be suitable but what about 16a commando sockets with pat tested 16a commando leads - 13a trailing sockets maybe 30cm long these would be easy to inspect for wear / replace the 13a socket on?

like this:

Super cheap to install, could be a winner?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of that myself.

The downside of any type 2 socket based solution is that the charge point provider has to provide and maintain all of the EVSE hardware and be responsible for maintaining it and dealing with complaints from people whose cars didn't charge for any reason.

The use of the customer's own portable EVSE bypasses this responsibility and the provider only needs to provide a circuit breaker and earth spike.

·
Premium Member
11,591 Posts
Providing access to 16A commando sockets is OK, although it is not a recommended solution for charging EVs.

Note that 3rd party adapters are not allowed under charging regulations as it breaks the approval and some safety aspects of the portable EVSE. Due to this, if you provide adaptors to end users, obtaining liability insurance might be tricky. If the intent was that users had commando capable EVSE, such as the Tesla UMC, then it is less of an issue. If a driver uses an unapproved adapter then it is probably at their own risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts