Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
So how long before the technology is affordable and useful for cars?
in this video they seem to say the switch is straightforward in consumer devices, the design can be swapped with current battery shapes and sizes so it’s not like EVs will need a redesign straight away like the switch from petrol engines. You can buy graphene battery packs on amazon. I’d say a few years based on car production cycles as they are, providing a manufacturer adds this to designs immediately. Which they probably won’t

·
Registered
99 Posts
From what I can gather, they are still Lithium Ion batteries, but the graphene is used on the anode rather than the more conventional graphite. It's typical though that something invented in Manchester can't be developed in this country but only in the USA or Korea.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
83 Posts
I think the money is on lithium metal batteries and graphene nano tubes. The lithium metal needs to be made as nano particles of uniform size that are introduced into the graphene nano tubes.
There is a lot of research that shows that this arrangement allows the lithium to expand and contract as it charges and discharges, without disrupting the electrode.
There is another very recent paper that shows that very high frequency ultrasound can cause flow inside the battery electrolyte that also prevents problems with lithium dendrite formation.
All these studies coming to fruition at the same time suggests that batteries that put all these techniques together are not far off mainstream.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts