Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Great Insurance Quote

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Snaxmuppet 
#1 ·
We got our insurance quote last week for our new Ampera.

First, as we insured our Nissan Leaf with Swiftcover we rather naturally assumed that they would give us a good rate on the Ampera. WRONG! Not only that but they won't insura the Ampera at all. I know it takes a while for new models to be recognised by insurance companies but the Ampera is on their system... they just won't quote for it.

So, it looks like it is time for a change of insurer.

Next to try was Admiral and as we have 2 cars, the Nissan Leaf and the Vauxhall Ampera, I thought we would get a multi-car quote. WOW!

To insure our 1 year old Nissan Leaf and a new Ampera it would cost us just £400 fully comp with guaranteed NCD... not just protected. That means we don't lose NCD no matter how many claims we make. Also it is with just a £500 excess instead of the £1000 excess of Swiftcover.

So we have found our insurer for the Ampera... Admiral multi-car.

If you have found a good insurer for the Ampera then please let us know.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got my current car (MX5) insured through LV= Liverpool Victoria with lots of years no-claims discount, a discount because my wife is insured through them, and another discount because I joined the CSMA. I haven't actually asked them yet directly how much Volt insurance will be, but I used their online system to get a quote: £251.16. Note that for that figure I didn't bother going via CSMA so I expect to get a further 10% off when I actually insure which should make it a few quid cheaper than my current insurance. That figure includes protected NCD, £250 voluntary excess, £100 compulsory excess and £24 for legal cover. It doesn't include European cover or a guaranteed courtesy car.

I saw one review which said the Ampera is group 20E or 21E and Volt 21E, also there was another which gave the same groups for Ampera and said that Volt is group 22E (possibly higher because of poorer parts availability) but also that Volt insurance quotes will be slightly cheaper than Ampera insurance because of the difference in price.

CSMA membership is available to anyone who has every worked for the Civil service or related organisations (such as Post Office or BT), or who is closely related to anyone who is eligible for CSMA membership, I qualify for membership because my wife does.

BTW, when getting the quote it asked me if the car was petrol/diesel, hybrid or electric: so far as LV= are concerned you have to forget about the ICE generator and select electric.

#3 ·
That is funny because on Admiral you have to select petrol!!!

Our quote from Admiral was about £260 for the Ampera on its own but like you we have shed loads of NCD and are over 50 :(

#5 ·
Is anyone else worried about their portable charging cable being nicked if plugged into a 13A socket (e.g. Zero Carbon World sockets at hotels)

I know the car alarm will go off, but it would be easy for someone to nick it and vanish before anyone cared about the alarm...

With most excesses it probably wouldn't be worth claiming on the insurance? I may see if the cops will post code mark it for me like they do the bikes.

Paul R

#6 ·
proddick said:
Is anyone else worried about their portable charging cable being nicked if plugged into a 13A socket (e.g. Zero Carbon World sockets at hotels)

I know the car alarm will go off, but it would be easy for someone to nick it and vanish before anyone cared about the alarm...

With most excesses it probably wouldn't be worth claiming on the insurance? I may see if the cops will post code mark it for me like they do the bikes.

Paul R
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...0V-cord-anti-theft-device&p=144367#post144367

#9 ·
I also went down the bike lock route as in most public charging there is usually something substantial to lock the control unit to. It has the secondary benefit of supporting the control unit rather than the 13a plug!

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.