Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UIsing my 2011 Nissan Leaf for short Rides. 30-38 mile range. 43.66% battery. Problem is the light just came on and with the Leafspy app I got the codes but still don't know what is wrong. Still runs good only short distances. Does anyone know what these codes mean?

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
P33D4 000E HV Battery Bat Int Resistance Diag EVB-130 will be the relevant code - the others are probably secondary codes that trace back to the same cause.

You'll find P33D4 in this document:

(Thanks to whoever posted this attachment - google search found it but I can't identify the thread it came from...)

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

Basically this fault code is saying one or more of the cells in your traction battery have high resistance and are near or at the end of their life, which is not surprising if the SoH is only 44% ! Official Nissan repair policy from the diagnostic procedure above would be to replace the traction battery, at great expense of course.

High internal cell resistance will cause the voltage to drop abnormally under load, this means that if you accelerate moderately hard at a lower SoC the cell voltages may dip below the minimum acceptable voltage per cell, (typically about 3.0 volts for these kind of cells) this would likely cause early turtle mode or reduced power and will probably set a warning light on the dashboard as well.

What you need to figure out is whether you have one or two cells with high resistance or whether they are all badly degraded. Are you in a hot part of the USA by any chance ?

To get a rough idea whether it's a few individual cells or the whole lot, discharge the car to about 30% SoC, monitor the cell voltage bar graph in Leaf spy to take note of the voltages (take a screenshot too) then put the car on a DC rapid charger for a few minutes and look for any cells which go a lot higher in voltage than the others during the charge (take a screenshot of this as well while the car is charging) these particular cells with higher voltage rise than the rest will have higher internal resistance as voltage rise for a given charge current is a proxy for internal resistance.

If they all go up roughly by the same amount then I'm afraid your traction battery is probably at the end of its usable life!

There seems to be a myth that EV batteries will go on forever and just get progressively reduced capacity but this is not true. At some point the cell resistance gets high enough that the cells cannot function properly under the load applied by the motor resulting in excessive voltage drop that will trigger reduced power, turtle mode, fault indications etc.

I would say the prognosis is probably not good unfortunately especially if the car has lived its life in a hot climate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts