Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Quite understated. Nobody will notice except big brother .
Exactly. And "Big Brother" already knows everything that the "green flash" could indicate, so what's the point?

·
Registered
950 Posts
It'll cover up the EU flag on my number plates which will will presumably be invalid come the end of the year (not that I'm likely to ever take my 22 kWh battery card overseas). Other than that it's hard to see it making much difference. Unless there's also a big advertising campaign to educate the masses it's unlikely to make much differnece. The perfect example of Cummings Greenwash.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
It'll cover up the EU flag on my number plates which will will presumably be invalid come the end of the year (not that I'm likely to ever take my 22 kWh battery car overseas).
The EU flag remains legal, but you must have a GB plate on the car to go abroad. Clearly DC is aiming to get us all to remove any Remoaner signs ASAP. :p

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
740 Posts
Whats the point in this? Any computer system that issues tickets or monitors bus lanes would already know the car was electric.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Shapps still tinkering with two fingers instead of getting stuck in with both hands and forearms.

He uses the words “could” and “might” to describe the results of his own department’s initiative.

All the savings he mentioned are delivered by local and devolved governments.

Cost of the green flash Is borne by dealera.

Cost to the DfT? Zilch.
But much back slapping all round for him for developing such a whizzer idea I’m sure.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,212 Posts
Pointless. Two minutes with a couple of green stickers and they'll be on all sorts of cars to get free parking etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Will this include PHEVs? Seem to remember the possibility was brought up during consultation.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The point is not so that EV drivers can use privileged lanes and get free parking.

The point is to make others aware that the car in front is 100% battery-powered, and thus spread awareness. No harm in that, is there?

So what if fossil drivers stick a green sticker on their plates. After all, the green sticker in itself is not going to get the driver any privileges. At least it means that they are aware of the green issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It be interesting to see the benefits this might bring with parking and using bus lanes.

Yet another half arsed idea to deflect us all from the main issues. This isn't about a manifesto for an election or referendum you are in power show some leadership and if you make a pronouncement include some actual detail!

When is this effective (autumn is a little vague), does it require retro fitting for us existing EV owners and if so who pays (and what if any are the sanctions for non compliance?)? The simple fact is if the Government are serious about the desire to move everyone to EVs they need to offer financial incentives but instead they have reduced the grant both for new vehicles and for the home chargers and with this move are putting the responsibility for driving the initiative forward to local authorities many, if not most, were already on their arse financially before a global pandemic but are now expected to waive some parking and congestion charges whilst spending large sums of money on signage and advertising changes. Not only that but if there is no uniformity between authorities imagine the confusion and likely fines for non compliance when moving around the country and what about the devolved assemblies?

With battery and car manufacturers already spending billions on R&D this offering is a mere drop in the ocean and in the unlikely event of it somehow producing a miracle battery will the UK taxpayer see any return? No of course not but someone will make a small fortune selling the rights to another foreign manufacturer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
its a shame they didn’t announce this number plate idea alongside something tangible like a huge increase in grants or free home charging points. On its own it’s hardly worth mentioning

·
Registered
417 Posts
Every little helps, no? Like it or not people are driven visually, and also by jealousy and desire. The desire to get to work faster, in less traffic... "hmm I should look into getting a car with a green plate, oh they are electric."

Lots of small parts make up big machines, and a green plate flash is a small part in a bigger machine of marketing the change to cleaner vehicles.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ah! It's the 'green shoots' we were told were coming.:D

Looking forward to seeing the legislation on this one. If they even decide it is in fact worth the trouble. Remember this concept has already been diluted somewhat.

It would at least settle any disputes about 'charging etiquette'. I, for one, would defer to anyone who's been awarded such a 'badge of honour'.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Every little helps, no? Like it or not people are driven visually, and also by jealousy and desire. The desire to get to work faster, in less traffic... "hmm I should look into getting a car with a green plate, oh they are electric."

Lots of small parts make up big machines, and a green plate flash is a small part in a bigger machine of marketing the change to cleaner vehicles.
it could help parking enforcement see who’s blocking the chargers.

But is it not in danger of the same problem as the Prius? The taxi community got huge grants to change to hybrids, and nearly all of them have the electric connectors still in the wrapper in the boot. So it has to be BEV only. Or even give the hybrids their own plugs.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts