Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Green Number Plates - Good Idea?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently created a blog about the government considering introducing green number plates to the UK and now i am wondering what fellow EV owners think on this subject?

Do you think it's a good idea?

Such plates, which are already being used - and have proved successful - in countries such as Norway and China, it will not only allow drivers to show that they are taking a sustainable approach to driving, but will likely give them access to low emission lanes, as well as access to dedicated low-emission zones.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
but will likely give them access to low emission lanes, as well as access to dedicated low-emission zones.
Isn't this done by ANPR? So it would be pointless and potentially make your car the target of the sort of morons damaging Tesla chargers in the USA?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Personally i like the fact the my Merc is nondescript, and is almost indistinguishable from any other ICE car on the road. I dont like the way a lot of EV's make a big deal that they're different. The original leaf ofcourse being a big example, but even the kia and hyundai models have silly grilles on the EV models.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I like the 'normal' appearance of my GTE and don't think that futuristic styling is either attractive or necessary. But I do think that green numberplates would help the general public see the growth of EV numbers. And then join in hopefully.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No, not a good idea. The extra admin, materials, and other associated work is a waste of money for what is essentially a cosmetic thing.
The government money and admin time can be much better spent on improving infrastructure and policies that favour adoption of zero emissions vehicles and sustainable energy production.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm torn. In some ways it would be nice to demonstrate just how much ev numbers are increasing, but I don't think it would have much impact on anything else since ANPR is so widespread. And I like how discreetly and non-showy my eGolf is.

Anyway, from a selfish point of view the colour would clash with my car...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Love it. When I visited China, all BEV, and PHEV, get green plates. It's more fun to spot the EV and then try to learn more about its specs.

I hope UK does this, but only to BEV and REx (cat 1 according to their grant). Makes more people talk about EV.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The least expensive way to implement this would be to add a suitable symbol to the allowed list of country flags that can already be displayed on number plates.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Personally i like the fact the my Merc is nondescript, and is almost indistinguishable from any other ICE car on the road. I dont like the way a lot of EV's make a big deal that they're different. The original leaf ofcourse being a big example, but even the kia and hyundai models have silly grilles on the EV models.
I'm the total opposite, I don't like EVs that are derived from ICE cars.
I like my EVs to be distinctively EV, like the Zoe or Leaf - no possibility that it might be an ICE version.
Not sure about the plate thing though.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
It's going to become very useful as more and more cities introduce congestion charging.

On the other hand they shouldn't allow PHEVs to have them, only pure BEV. Even REX isn't good enough. Zero emission only.
Why would it be useful???

·
Premium Member
10,168 Posts
Initially I was not keen, but it could make parking enforcement easier as staff often struggle to know which cars are eligible for free or reduced parking. I believe a forum member had this issue in London?

But with counterfeit plates easily obtained (so I am told) how long before green plates start appearing on a 2010 dirty diesel :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
But these systems use ANPR
The colour of the plate is irrelevant.
Indeed, but they don't automatically discount because the DVLA doesn't give them a simple "this car is exempt from your rules" flag to work with. By formalising the rules and having the DVLA supply that information it would fix the problem, and the green number plates are just one of the end products of doing that.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Indeed, but they don't automatically discount because the DVLA doesn't give them a simple "this car is exempt from your rules" flag to work with. By formalising the rules and having the DVLA supply that information it would fix the problem, and the green number plates are just one of the end products of doing that.
I'm still struggling with this....
If DVLA got their act together and updated their records so that ANPR did automatically discount them, there'd be no need for the green plates.
What are the green plates bringing to the party?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
having the DVLA supply that information
...yes, for a fee. Maybe that's why TfL, for example, doesn't already perform a cross-check with DVLA for every vehicle it picks up in the congestion charge zone, to see if it might be one of a small minority of exempt vehicles.
(Some exemptions are not known to DVLA, by the way. TfL still has to maintain its own database regardless)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts