Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Green Number Plates - Good Idea?

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Agreed. In the document they state that this is their "initial moderate preference". The article in the Guardian this morning is a little misleading showing a full green plate. I like the design below and think it will raise awareness and get people investigating the move to EVs more as they see some of the options available to them regularly on the road.

View attachment 123969
Is anyone else worried by the inferrence from the sample plates above that have been used in various the stories (a zoe or an old leaf on the pics Ive seen) suggesting to people that EVs are zero Oxygen!?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I like the idea for many reasons, but perhaps we need a more considered approach to be more 'inclusive'. I propose the following:

BEV= Green = can drive any time, any place, in any lane, free parking & charging.
Petrol= Red = restricted to slower lanes, able to drive most of the day, outskirts of cities, high priced parking.
Diesel= Black = not allowed in cities, not allowed to drive around schools, restricted use over holiday periods, pay high subsidies to provide free charging for BEV users.
PHEV= Black/Red/Green = like smoking half a cigarette - numberplate to change colour depending on activity and above rules applied accordingly.

There you go.. simple, I could be a politician ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you read the proposal it's not supporting full green numberplate but a green area or mark at the righthand side (page 6). They are also suggesting it should be for full electric only (page 5).
Full electric denoted by “fuel type” on your V5 as “electric” , as is currently the rule for the London congestion charge?

Perfect, the wife’s Chevy Volt will be allowed these green plates then. Nice. 2nd hand value found up again.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Full electric denoted by “fuel type” on your V5 as “electric” , as is currently the rule for the London congestion charge?

Perfect, the wife’s Chevy Volt will be allowed these green plates then. Nice. 2nd hand value found up again.
Probably, yes. The green plates are irrelevant: all enforcement would be by ANPR so a Volt that says electric on the V5 should be perfectly safe (mine did too when I had one!).

But it's just a consultation from a government that has perhaps days to live. Don't hold your breath. It looks like the only reason this consultation was pushed out now was to distract everyone from the other not so green stories yesterday such as the government diverting 1bn pounds earmarked for green energy to support fracking instead.
Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
My car already looks daft even without a green plate. Surely it is better to incentivise people to EVs instead of this gimmick.

Don’t think I want my car to stand out more than it does after reading the comments on the BBC site. The hatred and bile towards EVs and owners is off the scale.

Totally bemused at the sheer level ignorance and misinformation out there. The daily mail has done well.

N

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
My car already looks daft even without a green plate. Surely it is better to incentivise people to EVs instead of this gimmick.

Don’t think I want my car to stand out more than it does after reading the comments on the BBC site. The hatred and bile towards EVs and owners is off the scale.

Totally bemused at the sheer level ignorance and misinformation out there. The daily mail has done well.

N
So complete the consultation and tell the government what you think about their greenwashing.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
it wont all be ANPR, for the parking benefits etc it will be the MK1 eyeball in Mr or Mrs Ms traffic warden.

To be fair such a scheme could bring big benefits over current parking incentives which force you to apply to each local council individually for a permit to display in your window and that are often only available to local council tax payers/residents.

For instance I can park for free in council owned car parks in Kirklees but not nearby Wakefield, Leeds, Sheffield, Calderdale or Bradford all well within easy distance of home without requiring a top up in a 24kwh leaf. Even if I were allowed to apply for permits in all of those (not sure all of them allow it) it would fill my windscreen.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
it wont all be ANPR, for the parking benefits etc it will be the MK1 eyeball in Mr or Mrs Ms traffic warden.
The consultation document says the proposal is that the green plates would be optional and ANPR used for enforcement. If they are optional the your average traffic warden simply won't be doing any enforcement beyond what they do now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The only reason to make them green is public awareness and visiblity. However I fear a certain level of resentment/jealously , that "oh why do they get to park there..." etc leading to people damaging your car.
Is it Norway who have big incentives like using bus lanes, lower toll charges, etc? Do they suffer from EV resentment and vandalism? Simply from a public awareness perspective, I'd say it is a good idea. And we've seen how small changes such as 5p per plastic bag can change public behaviour. I'd say that the 5p charge pushed the environmental issues and brought about change far quicker than the moral argument would have.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,687 Posts
Is it Norway who have big incentives like using bus lanes, lower toll charges, etc? Do they suffer from EV resentment and vandalism? Simply from a public awareness perspective, I'd say it is a good idea. And we've seen how small changes such as 5p per plastic bag can change public behaviour. I'd say that the 5p charge pushed the environmental issues and brought about change far quicker than the moral argument would have.
Norway went big on EVs, 0% VAT on sales, paid for by up to 100% tariff on ICE sales, free parking everywhere, destination chargers at 100's of spaces in each car park, etc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Norway went big on EVs, 0% VAT on sales, paid for by up to 100% tariff on ICE sales, free parking everywhere, destination chargers at 100's of spaces in each car park, etc.
I guess its easier when you only have a population of 5 million to convince.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The consultation document says the proposal is that the green plates would be optional and ANPR used for enforcement. If they are optional the your average traffic warden simply won't be doing any enforcement beyond what they do now.
They would in that, if they see an obvoius cue such as green plate they wouldn't immidiately slap a ticket on your car and that it would allow 'cross border' incentives between councils to follow a very simple rule. If a driver opts to put a normal plate on then so be it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Of course not, they don't have the Daily Mail in Norway.
You may have seen this before, but it is a classic. A Bit off topic, but it makes you smile at lunch time:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It looks like the only reason this consultation was pushed out now was to distract everyone from the other not so green stories yesterday such as the government diverting 1bn pounds earmarked for green energy to support fracking instead.
Oh, FFS! Enough of this shower of bastards already.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts