Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see more and more none ev cars/vans get green number plates around County Durham yet they isn’t a single benefit locally for them.

why get them anyone else seen this

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is there any way of reporting these? Surely they shouldn't be allowed to have one, and it makes a mockery of the reason for introducing them!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Picture isn't very clear, but it doesn't appear to have the plate manufacturer's name or BS AU 145e markings.
Whether that's an extra offence or not is unclear.
It should be 1 offence to display an ineligible plate.
1 offence to supply ineligible plate (assuming it wasn't just made by the vehicle's registered keeper)
green flash on plates means nothing. I'm unaware of any restrictions or benefits that they infer at the moment that would make it worth changing existing plates on EVs to ones with green flashes. All the ZEZ/ULEZ/LEZ that I'm aware of that operate in the UK are done by looking up the vehicle registration mark read by ANPR against DVLA/DVL NI databases for fuel type and/or emissions levels. Local parking perks likewise.

And, yes, there are EV and PHEV Ford Transits, but that isn't one.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
You can add a sticker to an existing legal plate without invalidating that plate, so it is questionable whether that is illegal.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Got me thinking, what is the most unsuitable vehicle you could fix a green number plate to?

A coal powered steam roller.... anyone beat that?

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
No benefit at all, AFAIK. Might be seen as a way of getting rid of the EU symbology by the more looney Brexiteers, perhaps?
Precisely. Apart from showing your allegiance to the fraternity, the only other reason I can see for having a green flash on your number plate is virtue signalling.

Why are some people so concerned about it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Is there any way of reporting these? Surely they shouldn't be allowed to have one, and it makes a mockery of the reason for introducing them!
It is very hard not to make a mockery of the whole green flash scheme from the start, for all sorts of reasons.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It is very hard not to make a mockery of the whole green flash scheme from the start, for all sorts of reasons.
True, it's really a scheme which increases visibility of the number of EVs on the road, rather than a scheme which gives benefits to those drivers. The problem is the perception is the latter, which is utter nonsense because any benefits go on the car details, not the colour of the plates.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
The pity is that the scheme could have possibly been used as a way to help tackle the ICEing of charge points. Might sound daft, but loads of people know next to nothing about cars, and may well not be able to tell the difference between an EV and and ICE vehicle. This obvious colour flash could have been a useful way of doing that, if there was any real enforcement of parking in charging bays.

·
Registered
177 Posts
However, please tell us what benefits are bestowed on anyone displaying a green flash on their number plate, anywhere in the UK?
My Kia dealer told me that the green element was used by congestion charge cameras to identify EVs. At the time I did not really question this but objectively I think this is most probably wrong and I imagine ANPR is used and the green badge makes no difference.

I am contemplating keeping (on my private plate when I get my EV6) my EU badged plate to go with an EU GB sticker and a “Don’t blame me, I voted remain!” sticker that I have on my Nissan Leaf.😀🇪🇺

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I was told that it's no longer permitted to display the EU stars on the number plate of any UK car registered after we left. My wife's Zoe was recalled because of this. She bought it towards the end of March, and the dealer made an error and fitted EU marked plates. They called us and asked her to go back and have the plates changed a few weeks later.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was told that it's no longer permitted to display the EU stars on the number plate of any UK car registered after we left. My wife's Zoe was recalled because of this. She bought it towards the end of March, and the dealer made an error and fitted EU marked plates. They called us and asked her to go back and have the plates changed a few weeks later.
As with the green plates on that van. I’ll take my chances. I doubt anyone will care.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I see more and more none ev cars/vans get green number plates around County Durham yet they isn’t a single benefit locally for them.

why get them anyone else seen this View attachment 147999
Wow that takes the biscuit best one I've seen so far around durham is a bmw x1 if I see it again I'll take a pic.

Private plate is one step away from being inappropriate haha

1 - 20 of 115 Posts