Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Green numberplate misuse

17K views 137 replies 49 participants last post by  Johnny Read 
#1 ·
I see more and more none ev cars/vans get green number plates around County Durham yet they isn’t a single benefit locally for them.

why get them anyone else seen this

See less See more
#4 ·
Picture isn't very clear, but it doesn't appear to have the plate manufacturer's name or BS AU 145e markings.
Whether that's an extra offence or not is unclear.
It should be 1 offence to display an ineligible plate.
1 offence to supply ineligible plate (assuming it wasn't just made by the vehicle's registered keeper)
green flash on plates means nothing. I'm unaware of any restrictions or benefits that they infer at the moment that would make it worth changing existing plates on EVs to ones with green flashes. All the ZEZ/ULEZ/LEZ that I'm aware of that operate in the UK are done by looking up the vehicle registration mark read by ANPR against DVLA/DVL NI databases for fuel type and/or emissions levels. Local parking perks likewise.

And, yes, there are EV and PHEV Ford Transits, but that isn't one.

#6 ·
You can add a sticker to an existing legal plate without invalidating that plate, so it is questionable whether that is illegal.

#59 ·
I had the back number plate replaced as it had water damage ( Halfords ) but did not ask for the green flash
Because you never know if battery packs won't be the next target like catalytic converters !
Do you really think that "thieves" are that stupid they couldn't id any EV by it's brand and badging alone? Could you remove a Cat in 3 mins, i couldn't. My bet is type 2 cables being the next big thing to nick and sell in the pub / ebay, once there is much bigger demand for them. At the moment they are a novelty and no chav's are running around in EV's who would want to buy them for cash. But approaching 2030, 50% + of cars on the road BEV or PHEV and plenty of 10+ year old second hand models in chavs price range, 2015-2020 models, demand for cheap cables will soar. And every middle class house like mine will have 2 chargers on the side of the house with most likely 2 x 10m type 2 cables just there for the taking.

#16 ·
However, please tell us what benefits are bestowed on anyone displaying a green flash on their number plate, anywhere in the UK?
My Kia dealer told me that the green element was used by congestion charge cameras to identify EVs. At the time I did not really question this but objectively I think this is most probably wrong and I imagine ANPR is used and the green badge makes no difference.

I am contemplating keeping (on my private plate when I get my EV6) my EU badged plate to go with an EU GB sticker and a “Don’t blame me, I voted remain!” sticker that I have on my Nissan Leaf.😀🇪🇺

#14 ·
The pity is that the scheme could have possibly been used as a way to help tackle the ICEing of charge points. Might sound daft, but loads of people know next to nothing about cars, and may well not be able to tell the difference between an EV and and ICE vehicle. This obvious colour flash could have been a useful way of doing that, if there was any real enforcement of parking in charging bays.

#17 ·
I was told that it's no longer permitted to display the EU stars on the number plate of any UK car registered after we left. My wife's Zoe was recalled because of this. She bought it towards the end of March, and the dealer made an error and fitted EU marked plates. They called us and asked her to go back and have the plates changed a few weeks later.

#21 ·
I was told its to make it easier for local councils going forward when offering benefits to Ev drivers, such as on street parking with charge points, and access into certain pedestrian areas.
There are likely to be more and more trials over the coming years and having a green plate helps with these. It is illegal to supply and fit a green plate to a non EV.

#39 ·
I was told its to make it easier for local councils going forward when offering benefits to Ev drivers
Told by who? A government civil servant at the Home Office or your mate down the pub?

I have used a .eu domain name for many years, but was ordered to stop using it the day we left the EU, as it's only those living within EU member states that are allowed to keep using that domain.
I think you were conned by your domain provider. Care to name and shame? More like they wanted to resell your domain. They have no way of enforcing it. All you had to do was provide any EU address, even a hotel anywhere in the EU if you really wanted to change it.

I own many domains, all registered to hotel addresses in the US. Have done so for over 20 years.

#26 ·
I had assumed the 'reen plates meant the WHOLE plate, not just the side flash.

I did not think there were any hard and fast rules about the side flash, so a 'reen side flash would be fine?

I've no idea. I have looked at the legislation and it is pretty impenetrable, it is spread across a number of acts and regulations, none of which are properly updated but in the form of 'replace this with that'.

(I'm missing out beginning 'g's in my words ... its just my internet-forum accent, which is the behaviour of my race (one of a kind) and thus a protected characteristic, so respect it.)

#47 ·
I did follow this up, as this paragraph from that email bothered me (as an EU citizen living in the UK):

"Note: Eligibility requires that you are either an individual who is resident in the EU or a business/organisation with a legal entity within the EU. This also means that EU nationals currently residing in the UK will lose their right to their .eu domain name unless they can demonstrate compliance. "

Their follow up advice was that I needed to be resident in an EU member state, and that the EU would not accept me just "borrowing" an EU address. I specifically asked if I could use a family address in Ireland, and was told I could not, unless I provided evidence that I was resident there and registered for elections, taxes etc. This was a domain name used purely for personal purposes ( I used to host a blog on it), so I couldn't use any of the dodges open to those running a business.

#53 ·
I just registered one of my domains with a .eu address. I did it through a US domain name provider and it’s cost me $4.98 for a year. I had to provide a registrant who was domiciled in the EU. I used my own personal email address to register as administrator and technical and used another personal, but different email address as the registrar and provided the hotel address in Spain where I’m staying at the moment.

Perfectly possible and I don’t expect any comeback as I’ve fulfilled all the requirements to register. Just goes to show how stupid some of these bureaucratic rules are. Next I need to register “EUbureaucratsarestupid.eu”.

#77 ·
Most cars do when charging, or like our Volt, if you unplug the car while charing 3 seconds later the alarm starts going off. But, during the day, when we are both out / at work , both our untethered chargers have their 10m T2 cables just wrapped around the EVSE for nicking. Mind you one it a T2 / T1 for the Volt, so only a few Gen 1 EV's from 2011-2016 that can use it.

I dont worry because we are in a nice sleepy S/E village, right at the far end of the private estate and our house cant be seen from the public highway by passers by, and we have the remote & keypad private gates to enter the estate. I don't even lock my garage or garden gate unless going away on holiday.

#79 ·
Ah I get it at last! This explains it all!

I previously thought that the green flash scheme was just a ridiculous pretence that gov't were doing something to promote EVs with little or no investment. Rationally, any council authority would obviously use ANPR instead to administer any incentives - easy and precise.

But they knew that people's subversive nature would mean that green stickers would appear on non-EVs and thus deploy the "nudge" factor to normalise EVs - many drivers don't really know much about EVs but if they see green flashes appearing everywhere, and they'll start thinking everyone else has got an EV so maybe they should too...

GENIUS

#92 ·
And where does it say that EVs will be identified by the green flash on their number plate? FFS... how do you think the bus lane is enforced? Do you honestly think that the camera looks for pretty green flashes on the number plate? It uses ANPR. So, carry on with your virtue signalling if you so wish and I'll carry on with my ranting about the simplemindedness of those who want to believe in their EV utopia.

#91 ·
A green flash, if compulsory, could be a useful alternative to the "zero emissions" badging allegedly required on EVs to aid first responders. Of course that time is now past as with hybrids a significant proportion of cars now contain lithium batteries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.