Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up to one year of ownership of a Smart Electric Drive. I've got the only one in a city of 100,000 people here in the centre of Canada. I've yet to encounter another electric though I've been told there are a couple Leafs in town. Feel like a lonely pioneer, but the car has brought plenty of inquiries.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Hi welcome to Speak EV,

How small does a Smart feel in a town full of F150's etc?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi welcome to Speak EV,

How small does a Smart feel in a town full of F150's etc?
Somewhat overwhelmed. But I love it when they challenge me at the stoplight. They don't stand a chance.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Somewhat overwhelmed. But I love it when they challenge me at the stoplight. They don't stand a chance.
I love the smart advert, the race away from the light one, in the city its not 0-60 that counts it the first 20 yards:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the smart advert, the race away from the light one, in the city its not 0-60 that counts it the first 20 yards:)
The car accelerates much more quickly than Daimler advertises. Car and Driver got under 10 seconds to 60mph for the heavier convertible version of the ED whereas Daimler insists on quoting 11.5 sec.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Any excuse...

:)

Welcome to Speak EV @Tory Tronrud it's great to have a Smart ED driver among us. I'm sure someone on here has driven or owns one but unfortunately I can't recall who it is!

I've seen one driving around my town, their UK head office is here though so not surprising.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any excuse...

:)

Welcome to Speak EV @Tory Tronrud it's great to have a Smart ED driver among us. I'm sure someone on here has driven or owns one but unfortunately I can't recall who it is!

I've seen one driving around my town, their UK head office is here though so not surprising.
Love that advert. Smart EDs are selling very well in North America but seem to be limited by supply. I had to wait forever for mine to be delivered. I didn't even have a chance to test drive it before ordering. But I don't regret buying it.

Reactions: Paul

·
1,551 Posts
Had fun test driving the 3rd Gen Smart ED. Welcome to the board @Tory Tronrud. Which version of the Smart are you driving and where in Canada? Hardtop Smart, or convertible?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OTE="Dennis, post: 48759, member: 850"]Had fun test driving the 3rd Gen Smart ED. Welcome to the board @Tory Tronrud. Which version of the Smart are you driving and where in Canada? Hardtop Smart, or convertible?[/QUOTE]
I've got the hardtop with panoramic roof, a 2013. I'm located in Thunder Bay, right on the western shore of Lake Superior. As I'm about 400 miles from any large centre, my Smart is obviously land-locked, so to speak -- strictly for use locally. There are no chargers anywhere nearby.

·
1,551 Posts
I've got the hardtop with panoramic roof, a 2013. I'm located in Thunder Bay, right on the western shore of Lake Superior. As I'm about 400 miles from any large centre, my Smart is obviously land-locked, so to speak -- strictly for use locally. There are no chargers anywhere nearby.
Are you close to any of the Sun Country Highway EVSEs? They're doing this E-Mazing Race in Canada that is based on # of chargers visited on their network.

Besides, there are a TON of places to charge any EV in North America, just happens to be 110V. I always say that EVs have no range limit, as long as you have the time to wait for the car to charge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too far north and west for any Sun Country EVSEs. There are three public chargers in Thunder Bay; all at local hotels, but I have a 240v line at home that matches theirs. The next public charger going west is about 225 miles away; perhaps okay if I had a Tesla, but not much use to me with the Smart.

·
1,551 Posts
Too far north and west for any Sun Country EVSEs. There are three public chargers in Thunder Bay; all at local hotels, but I have a 240v line at home that matches theirs. The next public charger going west is about 225 miles away; perhaps okay if I had a Tesla, but not much use to me with the Smart.
Early Roadster drivers had a bunch of 240V adapters made so that they could use a variety of 240V plugs to travel around. A few of those let folks travel all over before the increase in J1772 stations, etc. Even so. As e weather gets colder (as it is apt to do in Canada) I'm sure that the range will take a hit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The weather drops the range considerably, especially when it gets below -20. I suppose I
I should start a new thread in the appropriate forum rather than place all the details in an introduction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts