Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I have just had notification from the dealership that my Kona will be arriving in the UK on 23rd February, and I should be able to pick it up the first week in March. I have been driving a 28 kWh Ioniq for the last 18 months and am looking forward to the extra range and hopefully the Bluelink feature. (I'm presuming it comes as standard now.)

Any tips, tricks and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you have an Ioniq then you will find the EV controls very similar. I even found switching from an IX35 diesel that the other controls are very similar. Just remember you can wave as you drive past all your previous pit stops with loads more electrons still in the tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there.
I have just had notification from the dealership that my Kona will be arriving in the UK on 23rd February, and I should be able to pick it up the first week in March. I have been driving a 28 kWh Ioniq for the last 18 months and am looking forward to the extra range and hopefully the Bluelink feature. (I'm presuming it comes as standard now.)

Any tips, tricks and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.
You have come to the right place for information, just takes a while finding it.

Do you mind telling us when the order was placed?
Mine was placed Nov last year and delivery was initially guestimated for Sept 2020, but now its April.
I wonder if a ship arrives monthly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have come to the right place for information, just takes a while finding it.

Mine was placed Nov last year and delivery was initially guestimated for Sept 2020, but now its April.
I was actually really lucky. I knew I was receiving some money in January from a second pension, so I started looking at upgrading while I could still get a good trade in price on my 68 plate Ioniq. I was looking at a Tesla Model 3 originally, but couldn't justify the price for what I actually needed. I looked at the Kia Nero, but that is a 6 month lead time.

So, believe it or not, on 17th January, I contacted the dealership which sold me the Ioniq as they had given me great service and an amazing deal. They got back to me a few days later to say they could get one for the end of February, beginning of March. Even my local Hyundai dealership couldn't get one until April! (I think it must be a cancelled order or similar)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats the new WLTP range? Mine was sold with a WLTP range of 292 in August 18. . Soon after it was delivered the WLTP range was reduced to 270. I was given a goodwill gesture to reflect this. However my summer range is over 300 and currently is around 270.
It's quoted as "up to 278 miles" on the Kona website, although I've seen Youtubers get over 300 when driving carefully. That's double what I get in my 28 kWh Ioniq. (155 in summer, 125 in winter)

·
Registered
499 Posts
In my late 2019 kona 64kw summer range is 425/450 Kilometers,
in the winter on a recent very cold snap with pre conditioning to warm the car and possibly the battery (not sure if that's a thing) 375 was a real struggle I was using seat and steering wheel heaters fan heater in the car. The AC in the summer does not have that much effect on range in Ireland as it's never really too Hot. So AC use is more intermittent than the heater which tends to be on all the time.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It's quoted as "up to 278 miles" on the Kona website, although I've seen Youtubers get over 300 when driving carefully. That's double what I get in my 28 kWh Ioniq. (155 in summer, 125 in winter)
Problem is the Kona tends to encourage you to drive faster than you would in a smaller battery EV.

Saying that even in Winter at 70mph on the M1 it still seems hard to force it below 240 miles on a charge

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just been out to check. On this cold and frosty morning, the 100% range is showing as 278 miles

Currently the car is at 48% with 127 miles range according to the GOM

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome!
For me, in this weather, I see anything from 210 to 240 @70 (obviously the effective range is a bit less than that because I'm not gong to be driving it to literally 0)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Problem is the Kona tends to encourage you to drive faster than you would in a smaller battery EV.

Saying that even in Winter at 70mph on the M1 it still seems hard to force it below 240 miles on a charge
I agree entirely with stage shoot you will drive faster if you have the range in hand

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
422 Posts
We placed order early december, ship should dock 6th April so possibly with us two weeks later. I think I remember 17th

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your responses. This seems like a really friendly and helpful forum. The kona was the EV I originally wanted after Johnny Smith on Fully Charged said it was a game changer. Unfortunately, I think the only ones in the UK were demonstrators for the motoring journalists, so I settled for the Ioniq as I got a really good deal on it. I don't regret it, it is a fantastic car, and I now look forward to a fantastic car with more range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is indeed very helpful and friendly. It also highlighted to me, at the time I placed my order, that there was an enormous amount of information I didn't know I needed to know (like Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns) as well as the known unknowns. Once all these unknowns were known I realised that the 12 month wait for delivery (as it was then) might not be enough for me to work it all out. Fortunately it was, just, mostly thanks to this forum!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
72 Posts
Greetings from another new member, I have been looking for a new car rather quickly as my 12-year-old Citroen diesel car needed at least £1.9k spending on immediately and could stop working at any moment - little things like oil spraying out of the engine and filling up the starter motor; several other oil leaks; a failed pump for the exhaust causing an emissions problem etc., and somewhat sadly, it is time to scrap the old car as the above is just part of the urgent list.

My original plan had been to buy an BEV electric car towards the end of this year, or early next, with one option being the Peugeot 2008e which, I think, looks rather nice. However, with new car replacement now rather urgent the wife and I spend a few days visiting dealers and wasn't impressed with the 2008, or the waiting list length for a Kia e-nero - 10 months.

To cut a long story short, and with huge apologies to Alan, Andy & others, I managed to buy one-month old demonstrator from my local Hyundai dealer, who intends to replace it with a Kona on the ship Alan mentioned, and I'm picking it up on Thursday, sorry again Alan & others. It's a light blue Premium SE and like Alan, I would also be interested in.

I'm currently trying to make sense of the Kona Electric manuals having found them on this website, but in all honesty my greatest fear is working out how to get public charging station to work.

PS. Can you burn your arse on those heated seats - I pressed this button on the demonstrator whilst driving and three orange lights came on. Flipping heck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greetings from another new member, I have been looking for a new car rather quickly as my 12-year-old Citroen diesel car needed at least £1.9k spending on immediately and could stop working at any moment - little things like oil spraying out of the engine and filling up the starter motor; several other oil leaks; a failed pump for the exhaust causing an emissions problem etc., and somewhat sadly, it is time to scrap the old car as the above is just part of the urgent list.

My original plan had been to buy an BEV electric car towards the end of this year, or early next, with one option being the Peugeot 2008e which, I think, looks rather nice. However, with new car replacement now rather urgent the wife and I spend a few days visiting dealers and wasn't impressed with the 2008, or the waiting list length for a Kia e-nero - 10 months.

To cut a long story short, and with huge apologies to Alan, Andy & others, I managed to buy one-month old demonstrator from my local Hyundai dealer, who intends to replace it with a Kona on the ship Alan mentioned, and I'm picking it up on Thursday, sorry again Alan & others. It's a light blue Premium SE and like Alan, I would also be interested in.

I'm currently trying to make sense of the Kona Electric manuals having found them on this website, but in all honesty my greatest fear is working out how to get public charging station to work.

PS. Can you burn your arse on those heated seats - I pressed this button on the demonstrator whilst driving and three orange lights came on. Flipping heck.
Hi Ian. You lucky swine! Although, I jumped the queue also as I get mine the first week of March rather than the end of April. I'm guessing you've gone into the luxury car tax bracket with the Premium SE. (I went for the premium to avoid it)

As for public charging, get yourself the Zap-Map app and abetterrouteplanner app on your phone. You can also access them on your PC over the internet.

Zap-Map has a set of filters which allow you to accept contactless/credit card payments only. Instavolt and Engenie are really reliable chargers and cost 35 pence per kWh. You just remove the 2 covers from the sockets, plug it in and tap your card on the screen. Easy-peasy.

The only network app I have on my phone is Pod Point, because I have a Pod Point home charger, and they do free charging at Tesco, ASDA etc.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your EV experience, you'll never drive anything else once you've tried it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hope you enjoy your new car as much as I've enjoyed mine for the last year, im still really pleased with it! Bum warmer on 1 is quite enough, I think 3 is probably for if you need to cook something.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts