Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a reluctant ICE owner who is desperate to get away from fossil cars! As someone who does low mileage and for the most part works very local to where I live. I've calculated that I'd save about £1.5-2k/year by switching to an electric vehicle.

However as someone with very little disposable income my options are limited with regard to 'going EV'. I currently drive a rather thirsty Honda Civic out of necessity and have been considering picking up a G-Wiz as a first step on the EV ladder.

I rarely drive more than 20 miles a day and a long trip to a nearby county town is a round trip of 32 miles. So the G-Wiz in many ways ticks the most basic of boxes. So I'd be interested if anyone knows any faults to look out for when buying a G-Wiz!

TH.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Would an electric scooter or bike allow you to do most of your local travel without using your current car?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'd be more tempted to look for an iMiev/Ion/cZero or perhaps if not that, then a Leaf with a bit of battery degradation for a good price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would an electric scooter or bike allow you to do most of your local travel without using your current car?
I do need to carry a limited toolkit around and my youngest child goes to school about 10 minutes drive away so a scooter would be a bit limited! In the Summer I do often cycle to some of my closer clients when I don't have any kit to carry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be more tempted to look for an iMiev/Ion/cZero or perhaps if not that, then a Leaf with a bit of battery degradation for a good price.
These are a little out of my budget at the moment, my G-Wiz bid for EV would save me around £1.5k/2k a year in fuel costs alone which would make it more plausible to save for something. There have been some very cheap Renault Zoe's around but the battery finance is more than I pay for fuel at the moment.

I was also going to use the G-Wiz as a bit of a marketing gimmick for my computer repair business to make sure I get 'seen' around the local area.

Regards,
TH.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If you want gimmick, then go for a Twizy.
Lots more fun than a g-wiz or so I'm told.

·
Registered
955 Posts
How thirsty is the Civic exactly? Do you do 20 miles per day everyday?!

I used to spend about £2k a year in a car that did 30 mpg... 40 mile, 5 days a week. The equivalent £160/mth covered the finance on a Leaf instead. Which I've just swapped for a Zoe @ £100/mth for the car and £50/mth for the lease.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
I'm a reluctant ICE owner who is desperate to get away from fossil cars! As someone who does low mileage and for the most part works very local to where I live. I've calculated that I'd save about £1.5-2k/year by switching to an electric vehicle.

However as someone with very little disposable income my options are limited with regard to 'going EV'. I currently drive a rather thirsty Honda Civic out of necessity and have been considering picking up a G-Wiz as a first step on the EV ladder.

I rarely drive more than 20 miles a day and a long trip to a nearby county town is a round trip of 32 miles. So the G-Wiz in many ways ticks the most basic of boxes. So I'd be interested if anyone knows any faults to look out for when buying a G-Wiz!

TH.
I really would not get a G-Wiz as they don't have a good safety rating.
What is you budget?
A 2011 LEAF would easily fit your range requirements and can be picked up for about £5000. This would also give you a car that can be rapid charged meaning longer trips would be possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want gimmick, then go for a Twizy.
Lots more fun than a g-wiz or so I'm told.
I've seen them whizzing around Birmingham, but they seem to be going for similar prices to an iMeiv/CZero/ion and I know which I'd rather have!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really would not get a G-Wiz as they don't have a good safety rating.
What is you budget?
A 2011 LEAF would easily fit your range requirements and can be picked up for about £5000. This would also give you a car that can be rapid charged meaning longer trips would be possible.
The most I've *ever* paid for a car was £2,700 and that's for our family's Citroen C8. As someone who is self-employed I'm reluctant to enter into finance as I've been caught out before when my income has dropped due caring for a hospitalised child. In reality we're talking less than £2k which is why the G-Wiz was on the shopping list.

Sadly the second hand EV market is still beyond what I'm comfortably able to afford. We have 3.6kW of solar panels on our house and export around 40% of the power we generate so it's a no brainer to go EV in some way shape or form. I just can't afford the capital cost of an EV. :-(

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
That's a very thirsty Civic.

I used to do 60 miles commute 5 days a week in an old C class diesel. It costs me £160-180 a month. I switched to Leaf on £114 per month PCP payment, and electricity cost about £40.

One thing to note is that EV need to be charge at minimal 1.3kW speed (IIRC). So unless on very bright sunny days, it's unlikely you can charge your EV completely free. I have 2.9kW E-W solar PV on our roof, I looked at Zappi and turns out it's cheaper to charge solely on Econemy7.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Don't watch the G-Wiz crash test video. DO NOT buy one.

Personally, I would wait and save a bit if you can for a 2nd hand Leaf/Zoe. Failing that, stick with your ICE for a bit longer.

For the love of god, do NOT buy a G-Wiz.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
By if a G wiz is being used in the same way as many people use a bike is the crush rating a real issue?

Personally I would also keep the ICE for long trips and fast roads.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
By if a G wiz is being used in the same way as many people use a bike is the crush rating a real issue?
Personally, I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. They're a car, people see them as that (somewhat amusingly). Those things did so much damage to the idea of an EV, thank god they've died a death.

I'm not a fan, if you can't tell. I think they're a deathtrap and should never have been let anywhere near a public highway.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
The most I've *ever* paid for a car was £2,700 and that's for our family's Citroen C8. As someone who is self-employed I'm reluctant to enter into finance as I've been caught out before when my income has dropped due caring for a hospitalised child. In reality we're talking less than £2k which is why the G-Wiz was on the shopping list.

Sadly the second hand EV market is still beyond what I'm comfortably able to afford. We have 3.6kW of solar panels on our house and export around 40% of the power we generate so it's a no brainer to go EV in some way shape or form. I just can't afford the capital cost of an EV. :-(
Factor of in your fuel savings and you could have a nearly new LEAF........

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
But fuel saving are not dependable as you can't bank them when work is poor.
I have been self employed almost all my working life, I know exactly what you mean but I have always tried to be positive and have never regretted it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
I don't believe it could possibly save you that much if you are a low miles person. Can you show me your thinking?

I'll offer the same advice I usually do; get an EV if you are changing your car anyway and you find one that suits your pocket and usage cycle. At the moment, the choice of getting the right 'car' just isn't there. Save your money, wait for more choice, if you have a viable car in your possession already.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts