Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Looks like you might have to revise the predicted savings as on first glance does not make sense. My C-Zero worked out at £2k odd after disposing of the old car through WBAC. The C-Zero was a smidgen over £4k. Good shout for a cheap Leaf. Cheers

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The most I've *ever* paid for a car was £2,700 and that's for our family's Citroen C8. As someone who is self-employed I'm reluctant to enter into finance as I've been caught out before when my income has dropped due caring for a hospitalised child. In reality we're talking less than £2k which is why the G-Wiz was on the shopping list.

Sadly the second hand EV market is still beyond what I'm comfortably able to afford. We have 3.6kW of solar panels on our house and export around 40% of the power we generate so it's a no brainer to go EV in some way shape or form. I just can't afford the capital cost of an EV. :-(
Tell me something.. how much do you spend on filling up your car every month? Since buying the vehicle Leaf we have driven it 2000 miles. I would equate that to 6 tanks in our automatic Vauxhall Zafira that's at least £360 - 400. I've spend around £40 in charging the car.

The car is almost paying itself off in terms of saving.

You said that you have solar panels. I'd invest in batteries and use that energy unless you have surplus to your needs or the government is paying better than you buy from grid

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
The problem with EVs is they're still comparatively expensive to manufacture and because demand is strong it means second hand prices remain fairly buoyant.

I purchased a Twizy as my first step into EVs but am now looking for something with heating and proper windows! You've just got to accept that they are an expensive nicety :sick:

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you are self employed you really ought to consider leasing. You could have a new Kia Soul on a business lease for £200 month inc VAT, which is only about £2400 per year, and you or your accountant will be able to offset a good chunk of that against tax. I bet your “cheap” Civic in addition to fuel is already starting to cost you a bit for servicing and maintenance, to the point where you start to dread what the next MOT will throw up.

And of course you are also saving the depreciation, which even on a cheapie like you civic is probably costing you another £50 or so a month.

I know the commitment is a bit scary, as a self employed person myself until I retired, I’ve been there myself, but the joy of leasing is that you know exactly what it’s costing you and can budget around it, when it’s over, you just hand back the keys, its tax efficient, and you get to drive a car that’s still under a decent warranty.

You can use what you get for the Civic to help with the first payment, and if there is a little left over I suggest you save it in a separate deposit account and add a little bit each month so you have a contingency fund just in case of illness or whatever, and if all goes well, a fund you can use to repeat the process at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I actually drove my first ever EV yesterday (only a test drive) and despite it being a rather elderly converted Peugeot Partner it was a very positive experience. If it was down to me I'd have bought it if the price was right but the Mrs. was being a bit nitpicky as she would have to use if for her childminding and the exterior was a little rough around the edges for her liking. :-(

Still keeping my eyes peeled for a bargain...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I actually drove my first ever EV yesterday (only a test drive) and despite it being a rather elderly converted Peugeot Partner it was a very positive experience. If it was down to me I'd have bought it if the price was right but the Mrs. was being a bit nitpicky as she would have to use if for her childminding and the exterior was a little rough around the edges for her liking. :-(

If it is a good car at a good price you can always sand it down and put a new top coat on, there are some good YouTube videos about this. Or you can look to wrap your car with your business logos and details whilst also covering up the bad patches. I did this to my old Alfa a few years ago. It cost be £150 for logos/company info on both sides and the back. It looked good and they covered over some scratches/ faded paint.

We now lease. I have a BMW 225xe PHEV for £229 per month with £0 upfront. It does about 20 miles on EV with a light foot. This deal is not about anymore as PHEV do not qualify for government incentive... But I have friends who had a sub £200 pm Leaf. So deals do appear for lease of EV and PHEV, but you have to be quick. That said I am not expecting any good deals this year... But with the new EU emissions target in 2020 I am expecting some cheap lease deals in 2020 as manufacturers try and reduce emissions to save €billions in fines (hence why Fiat have announce they are paying to pool emissions with Tesla).

·
Registered
103 Posts

Don't give up! I've just found my first EV and love it (2012 Peugeot iOn). Have been interested for a couple of years, then made the decision to put toe into water about 3 weeks ago. Thanks to SpeakEV's really friendly and helpful forums, things worked out faster than I thought they would.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
After months of scanning the small ads we've finally found a 2014 Leaf 24kWh with onboard 6.6kW charging and 12/12 battery bars. It even comes with a wall charger that the previous owner had removed when they moved house. It gets delivered tomorrow and our EV journey begins, now we just need to build ourselves a driveway!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd have the same problem if I got an EV but a bit of fun with a lump hammer for the front wall, chain saw the hedge and then ponder how to replace the front lawn and getting a dropped kerb, which most people in the road have already done. Like you low miles generally, so the Zoe battery costs kill it (and don't say find an owned one!).

I bet you're excited though.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'd have the same problem if I got an EV but a bit of fun with a lump hammer for the front wall, chain saw the hedge and then ponder how to replace the front lawn and getting a dropped kerb, which most people in the road have already done. Like you low miles generally, so the Zoe battery costs kill it (and don't say find an owned one!).

I bet you're excited though.
This any use? You won't get anything worthwhile much cheaper...
https://www.speakev.com/threads/reduced-for-sale-nissan-leaf-24-acenta-64-plate-6-6kw-charger-£8-000.142547/

·
Registered
218 Posts
A g Wiz could be a complete waste of money and is a death trap. I can't see those old batteries performing well now. They have become a collector's item.

Buy yourself an old Prius or a small petrol engine car. That's the cheapest solution and arguably better for the environment than adding to the demand for newer cars.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts