Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife and I live about an hour north of Glasgow and have made the decision to switch to electric. We have a diesel Subaru Outback and a Fiat Panda 4x4 but they’re going soon -a Tesla is on the way within a month with something small for me to runabout in for work. It’s pretty mountainy where we are and I’m looking for something that can handle a 30 mile each way trip a few times a week - this commute has a 400m climb each way, single track wi lots of stopping/starting on the return leg. I’ve looked at a few of the less expensive options and I’m a wee bit unsure of how well they’ll do on the uphills and whether there’s any prospect of battery regen on the way down the hills ?

We’re all in on this change, it’s something we should’ve done some time ago but we cannot wait to get into it.

All the best

TB

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
291 Posts
Hello and welcome!
I can only speak for a Niro but driving it on single track “roller coaster” roads in Yorkshire and Lake District this week has been a joy. We hadn’t fully appreciated this benefit of EVs living in East Anglia!!
It has been an utter pleasure gliding effortlessly up steep twisty hills and then re-genning down again barely needing to brake. Need to stop half way up a hill for a wandering sheep? No drama. Just stop, then move off again without the 🥵 of a hill start on a 1:10 slope!
Hope your journey into EV land is as fun and happy as ours has been.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Family PP 58kWh, glacier white, east derry alloys
13 Posts
Took our VW ID3 across the Pennines and back recently, 100 miles in total. Regen on the downhill sections seems to get back most of the extra energy used on the way up!

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Hi,

My wife and I live about an hour north of Glasgow and have made the decision to switch to electric. We have a diesel Subaru Outback and a Fiat Panda 4x4 but they’re going soon -a Tesla is on the way within a month with something small for me to runabout in for work. It’s pretty mountainy where we are and I’m looking for something that can handle a 30 mile each way trip a few times a week - this commute has a 400m climb each way, single track wi lots of stopping/starting on the return leg. I’ve looked at a few of the less expensive options and I’m a wee bit unsure of how well they’ll do on the uphills and whether there’s any prospect of battery regen on the way down the hills ?

We’re all in on this change, it’s something we should’ve done some time ago but we cannot wait to get into it.

All the best

TB
Have you considered an electric helicopter?

Seriously, where is the commute to, what is it like in winter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered an electric helicopter?

Seriously, where is the commute to, what is it like in winter?
Winter can be pretty bad here, heavy snow, wind etc.The car probably won’t be required then, if I do have to travel in bad weather the Tesla will have to do the job. What I’m after is something at around the £10k mark that can cope with hills and stop/start driving - not unusual around here. Occasionally I might need to go a bit further also so a genuine battery life that’ll get me around the 60 mile mark comfortably is required.

I don’t like helicopters so that’s not an option either although where I drive to does have a helipad.

Thanks for the replies, I’m off this arvo to have a look at a 30kwh Leaf which May do the trick.

Slàinte

TB

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Winter can be pretty bad here, heavy snow, wind etc.The car probably won’t be required then, if I do have to travel in bad weather the Tesla will have to do the job. What I’m after is something at around the £10k mark that can cope with hills and stop/start driving - not unusual around here. Occasionally I might need to go a bit further also so a genuine battery life that’ll get me around the 60 mile mark comfortably is required.

I don’t like helicopters so that’s not an option either although where I drive to does have a helipad.

Thanks for the replies, I’m off this arvo to have a look at a 30kwh Leaf which May do the trick.

Slàinte

TB
Aye, Leaf30 is a good place to start for the 2nd BEV. Winter Tyres make all the difference. Get a chargepoint installed at your work too.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
Aye, Leaf30 is a good place to start for the 2nd BEV. Winter Tyres make all the difference. Get a chargepoint installed at your work too.
i second that. A Leaf with winter tyres will be almost unstoppable until beached by deep snow or mud.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
For a little commuter box, the Fiat 500e (either 24kWh or 40kWh) and the Seat mii/Skoda citigo/VW e-UP (later version with the 30-some kWh battery) should be worth a look.

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
256 Posts

Slàinte

TB
I'd agree with the others that a Leaf with winter tyres (or even Michelin Crossclimate - or similar all-season tyres) will manage well in snow. The key thing to keep in mind that at Scottish winter temperatures, the battery gives less range (by about 20%) and you tend to use the heater more (though a decent down jacket works for me...). I've done a reasonable amount of singletrack in my Leaf and love not needing to muck about with gears, plus you'll find the regen can be enough to avoid using the brakes for ages. But, if you blast up the hills, you'll use more battery than if you take it easy.

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
256 Posts
I'd suggest that you register and get a card from Chargeplace Scotland - these enable you to access a fairly large charger network (some of these are still free, others charge depending upon the local authority). The card seems to work better than the app, and the service was recently taken over by Swarco.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
I used to commute from Taynuilt to Tarbert and avoided the main roads due to the timber lorries, by taking the north or south road down Loch Awe.
It was a pain in the neck in my ICE vehicles, (DS3 1.2, Alfa Brera 3.2, Guilietta 1750tbi, Citroen C5 V6 auto and a VW Camper) due to the endless gearchanging and speed variation from below 20 to around 45.

However I recently have driven the south road from Cladich to Ford and on to Ardern a couple of times in the Leaf and it was very pleasant. Smooth, always in the correct gear (as there is only the one!) and effortless, with the 1pedal mode avoiding the need to use the brakes.
You'll kick yourself for not taking the plunger sooner.

·
Registered
Leaf e+tekna 62kwh.
27 Posts
Hi,

All the best

TB
Maybe time to move house.😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe time to move house.😁
Hi, Nope, we’re staying here until death - whenever that is.

Progress has been slow but I’m now the owner of a 17 plate 30kwh Leaf. It’s early days but things seem good so far. The range falls off a cliff uphill but down the other side is great. It drives well enough and should be easy to live with. Charging at home is not exactly intuitive - we don’t have a charging point installed yet - but it works. Picked it up from Stirling and on the 50 odd mile journey home the range and actual miles driven tallied almost exactly. Car indicates 118 range from full charge.

Let’s see how things progress.

Ta 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 - 15 of 15 Posts