Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another new member here so just saying hi :)

I say new, I've actually been lurking in the background for a couple of months reading lots of posts trying to learn a few things as I'm new to EVs.

I have an i3 REx on order which is currently in build so hopefully not too much longer to wait before I can collect it. This will be my first EV so I'm a bit nervous that I've chosen the right one for me but I thought long and hard about it. There probably isn't an i3 review, video, forum post or blog article out there that I haven't seen, sad I know !

I'm a fan of lightweight cars so the i3's design & manufacturing process appeals to me. The difference this makes to driver enjoyment is evident from just a quick test drive and although this isn't important to a lot of people it's something that helped sell the car to me. I once tried explaining this on the i3 section of the LEAF forum but got shouted down as a 'badge snob' which quite amused me seeing as I currently drive an old Skoda Fabia :)

Although 95% of my journeys are within the battery range of the i3 I went with REx because I do occasionally do longer journeys and the i3 is going to be the only car I own so I've chosen the easy option rather than having to rely on public charging (yes, I'm a wimp !). I spent a long time reading stories of woe on the LEAF forum and even on here (like cjm_2013's journey) and I'm sorry to say that I haven't got the adventurous spirit to put up with that. Seeing as this is my first EV I'm playing it safe with a range extender.

Anyway, enough waffle. I like the feel of the SpeakEV forum (as opposed to the manufacturer specific EV forums) so I intend joining in and can hopefully help answer a few questions about the i3 now and again.

Andy.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Andy and welcome :)

I don't think you will get any "badge snob" like comments here (I hope not) as we are a group of mixed allegences, likes and dislikes... but you may find a few people with a tiny little hint of jeolousy at you getting an i3 :cool:... Me included!!! But I hope it will be in a friendly way :) The BMW i3 seems to impress even experienced EV drivers.

You are a member of a growing group that the BMW i3 REx is appealing to and I am not surprised. I have had a Vauxhall Ampera for 18 months (as well as a Nissan Leaf) and the idea of a range extender whilst still having a full battery EV is super. I use my Ampera mostly in EV mode but then it is there for long journeys if I don't want the risk and excitement of taking the Leaf! The biggest disadvantage of the Ampera for me is the 40 mile battery range which the i3 over doubles that to a respectable EV range.

I look forward to your thoughts when you get it.

BTW - Nothing "whimpy" in my opinion about not wanting to rely on public charging. It isn't particularly reliable at the moment and who actually wants to be sitting in a service area charging? No one I know :)

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
Hi Andy

I think a some people who drive EV's seem to think that we all need be "Dr Livingstone's" and forget that most people just want a car.
I have a Volt (80% electric 20% petrol) and love it. I hate using petrol, although not as much as I would hate the telephone conversation from my wife half way home from Liverpool only to find a charger not working because as with all things car it's always my fault!!!!!!!!

Did you test drive any other EV's and if so what made you go for the i3?

AndyG

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy & Paul, thanks for the welcome.

Did you test drive any other EV's and if so what made you go for the i3?
I just typed up some of my thoughts on the current i3 thread so rather than repeating myself here's the link : http://speakev.com/threads/peoples-opinions-on-the-i3.1096/#post-7457

I did quickly try the LEAF but I haven't driven the Ampera. Maybe I should have but the fact that I wouldn't be able to do my commute fully using the battery was quite a big factor.

Generally I've just been impressed with the engineering detail that has gone into the i3 to keep the weight down. When you start looking at individual components you can see a lot of parts on the car that have obviously had a large amount of design work to take weight out. Maybe being a design engineer I put too much importance on that but carbon fibre, honeycomb, magnesium castings, etc all point to a well designed car that is very different to the norm. When it snaps in half after a strong gust of wind maybe I'll re-assess that ;-)

If the LEAF or Zoe were offered with a range extender I would have had to think a lot harder about the decision but as it is the i3 REx is really the only car that fully met my requirements. I suppose a Tesla Model S would also work but it's out of my budget and (as you can probably tell by now) I don't want a car that weighs over 2 tons no matter what the range.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
Andy

Sounds like you made a good choice then. I have only tried the Volt as it was the only EREV when I brought mine, I am just wondering if I should have waited as the BMW sounds like the a really good solution for not a lot more money.
The only down sides for me with the Volt are the electric range (fine 80% of the time) and the fact you can't fast charge.
Don't think I will be changing any time soon after reading about the second hand values of EV's

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you should beat yourself up about not waiting, the Volt offers important advantages over the i3 like not having to stop to fill up every 60 odd miles.

Besides, I'm in no doubt that it won't be long before something else arrives that is better than the i3. It's just how it goes :/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts