Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here on the M25, the promised Nirvana is more distant than ever. All Cobham chargers are out, and have been for a week. For all their many faults, EcoT wouldn’t have let it go that long.

South Mimms totally dead, Clacket West running at a supergalactic 22kW. and Thurrock one working out of three.

Gridserve have clearly bitten off more than they can chew.

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
77 Posts
I'm beginning to think that Ecotricitys problems were mainly grid/connection problems as that is what seems to be plaguing Gridserve at the upgraded sites. The brand new sites such as Rugby & Mollie's Diner don't seem to have any problems. That may also explain why their initial communication has tailed off as they just don't have the answers for when these problems can be fixed.

What I'm most disappointed about is despite saying the dual charging firmware update should be released within a month. has now dragged on much longer without any follow up. Delays are fine but you'd think they'd let people know the situation to stop the constant questions and confusion on their twitter.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,790 Posts
They are at least doing something. Ecotricity had sat on their arse and replaced about 20 crap chargers at best in years. Gridserve did that in a few weeks.

I'd think network connectivity issues would also cause major bother as well as power issues.

They do have the money to throw at these issues though so there is hope that the busiest problematic chargers will get sorted. It was Dale that threw out the September as the finish date. You could tell that was unrealistic and the git has basically set them up to fail by saying that.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,561 Posts
It's a shame we are left in a lurch during this upgrade. No one is maintaining the old chargers before they can be upgraded. The upgrade won't happen overnight, so surely these old chargers should remain at least switched on.

I stopped at South Mimms for a charge the other week, just needed a few kWh to make it home. Nope, Chademo + Type 2 screen was on, but app says all Chademo was offline. That was plan B. It's single chargers everywhere else in that area. Where I was reliably met with a slow charging Renault van at plan C Shell. Plan D Shell in Borehamwood isn't showing on Shell app. Wasted over an hour just to get a few kWh to make it home. South Mimms was a reliable site before 2021........

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,790 Posts
It's a shame we are left in a lurch during this upgrade. No one is maintaining the old chargers before they can be upgraded. The upgrade won't happen overnight, so surely these old chargers should remain at least switched on.

I stopped at South Mimms for a charge the other week, just needed a few kWh to make it home. Nope, Chademo + Type 2 screen was on, but app says all Chademo was offline. That was plan B. It's single chargers everywhere else in that area. Where I was reliably met with a slow charging Renault van at plan C Shell. Plan D Shell in Borehamwood isn't showing on Shell app. Wasted over an hour just to get a few kWh to make it home. South Mimms was a reliable site before 2021........

There always was going to be some disruption. Look at the mess CPS is in with Swarco after CYC lost the contract. This is why the incumbent generally gets to keep the situation as however bad they are it's not as bad as the change over time is.

I'd ignore the app. Just plug in and see what happens. If the screen is on then there's a chance it will work a bit. Offline can either mean on fire or just lost the network and is free vend.

For now you just don't plan to use them until it's better. It's how it's been for a lot of folk for years. Getting a working charge at an MSA was a bonus.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,561 Posts
Yeah, lesson learnt. Ecotricity EH was quite reliable for Chademo car. Now it's a write-off.

The charger was NOT on free-vend, I tried plugging in but no way to start a charge. The app says Chademo of that charger is unavailable (or offline, I don't recall). Only Type 2 can be selected.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
716 Posts
Have any of these issues been reported to them? I assume any problems would be flagged up automatically but a quick reminder on Twitter is always a good thing.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Well here on the M25, the promised Nirvana is more distant than ever. All Cobham chargers are out, and have been for a week. For all their many faults, EcoT wouldn’t have let it go that long.

South Mimms totally dead, Clacket West running at a supergalactic 22kW. and Thurrock one working out of three.

Gridserve have clearly bitten off more than they can chew.

Your kidding right! Look at Burtonwood services.. a few years now the chargers there have been totally dead and not even looked at replacing them.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
621 Posts
Have they actually switched them off, or have the chargers just failed?
The plan as described was to prioritise the least reliable sites, so if a charger has stopped working altogether it should be at the top of the list. Of course they can't all be at the top of the list - maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I wish the old ones that work nicely with Chademo and are on free vend would be at the bottom of the list. (The one at Sedgemoor services southbound was like that when I used it a couple of weeks ago.)

Perhaps this is a little selfish of me but us Leaf owners should get some perks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm 50/50 with success on Gridserve at the moment. Main problem seems to be the contactless readers that either don't read the card or are just completely dead. I expected better to be honest, but with the speed at which they're rolling out new equipment I'm willing to put it down to teething trouble and would expect them to rectify it fairly quickly - they'll be one of ABB's biggest customers for chargers, so can probably apply pressure to get software fixes in place (same as Ecotricity did with DBT, to be fair).

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
They are at least doing something. Ecotricity had sat on their arse and replaced about 20 crap chargers at best in years. Gridserve did that in a few weeks.

I'd think network connectivity issues would also cause major bother as well as power issues.

They do have the money to throw at these issues though so there is hope that the busiest problematic chargers will get sorted. It was Dale that threw out the September as the finish date. You could tell that was unrealistic and the git has basically set them up to fail by saying that.
Up until the changeover, I could get around with ease. Now I can’t. Badmouth Ecotricity all you want, but the fact remains.

Your poke at Dale is inaccurate, too.

Font Parallel Document Number Screenshot

·
Registered
269 Posts
No one is maintaining the old chargers before they can be upgraded. The upgrade won't happen overnight, so surely these old chargers should remain at least switched on.
I'm pretty sure that the old chargers remain Ecotricity's to maintain. Gridserve support look like they accept fault reports, and pass them on for resolution.

The South Mimms and Thurrock sites are still Ecotricity's aren't they?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
i am sure all of them are Gridserve now.
If you have a problem with one and call the number on an Ecotricity charger, it's still Ecotricity to answer (now a single person supporting it) and at the start of this upgrade rollout Ecotricity still had their own maintenance teams despite Gridserve making a start - Though I doubt they are doing any work on chargers now that they're soon to be ripped out.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,135 Posts
If you have a problem with one and call the number on an Ecotricity charger, it's still Ecotricity to answer (now a single person supporting it) and at the start of this upgrade rollout Ecotricity still had their own maintenance teams despite Gridserve making a start - Though I doubt they are doing any work on chargers now that they're soon to be ripped out.
I think the best we could hope for is that calling in a dud Ecotricity charger would move it up Gridserve's to-do list a little.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts