Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are Leaf owners thoughts on Gridserve. First time I tried at Chieveley wouldn't work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happened? Why didn't it work?
Placed my card on the Chademo screen kept getting message that charger not working, or such like. Tried another card just in case same. Drove to next service station EH working ok. I honestly thought with all the hype our motorway charging worries were over. Why only one Chademo connection, think it's time Instavolt or other companies are allowed on MWays. Give them some sort of competition.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,762 Posts
Apart from the stupidity of only have one CHAdeMo connector (which I guarantee will be on the only unit a CCS car is currently using), it's always worked fine for me.

You have to make sure you press Start on the unit first, then offer your payment card/device.

The only other think I think is ridiculous is that there is no authentication to stop the charge.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
Placed my card on the Chademo screen kept getting message that charger not working, or such like. Tried another card just in case same. Drove to next service station EH working ok. I honestly thought with all the hype our motorway charging worries were over. Why only one Chademo connection, think it's time Instavolt or other companies are allowed on MWays. Give them some sort of competition.
Instavolt at Corley services I noticed the other day, in both directions. No one was using them so check that they work first, I was using AC on the few remaining Ecotricity units.

·
2,762 Posts
It's been said many times in other threads (main one here: Gridserve'd Ecotricity location spotting) that Toddington Harper is aiming for at least 25% CHAdeMO to 75% CCS at multi-unit sites, to reflect the proportion of cars on the road using these connectors.
Yes. We know. Also it's not cars on the road, it's their charge records.

And I still make the point that only one connector is no good. There should be two connectors per site simply to allow some redundancy. Of all the things I would have thought CCS users would have learned by now it's that.

Their charge records are not a suitable way of determining this - because if they only provide one connector per site, CHAdeMo users will be less inclined to use their sites, so they cannot possibly have accurate information as to who actually wants to use their chargers.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Their charge records are not a suitable way of determining this - because if they only provide one connector per site, CHAdeMo users will be less inclined to use their sites, so they cannot possibly have accurate information as to who actually wants to use their chargers.
Yes but the existing EH mostly works on CHAdeMO, so if they are using those numbers they do have data.

I have yet to see a single car with CHAdeMO use the rapid at our local Lidl. There is often a queue but all the EVs are CCS.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
Count yourself lucky you have Chademo, us Zoe owners are still struggling to travel the country on the few remaining AC rapids. My plans at the weekend from Lancaster to West London means an early stop at Stafford Services and then a detour into Bambury to try and bag a 22 KW Podpoint at the local Tesco's. Failing that then its off to Morrisons for a 22 KW Osprey charger. I will get there about 8:30 a.m. in the morning just as the Saturday shoppers turn up, hopefully they don't all drive EV's.... yet :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,397 Posts
Count yourself lucky you have Chademo, us Zoe owners are still struggling to travel the country on the few remaining AC rapids. My plans at the weekend from Lancaster to West London means an early stop at Stafford Services and then a detour into Bambury to try and bag a 22 KW Podpoint at the local Tesco's. Failing that then its off to Morrisons for a 22 KW Osprey charger. I will get there about 8:30 a.m. in the morning just as the Saturday shoppers turn up, hopefully they don't all drive EV's.... yet :)
As mentioned in the other thread - Lancaster MSA is being done this week (both directions), along with Lymm MSA.

·
2,762 Posts
Yes but the existing EH mostly works on CHAdeMO, so if they are using those numbers they do have data.

I have yet to see a single car with CHAdeMO use the rapid at our local Lidl. There is often a queue but all the EVs are CCS.
Fascinating. I see Leafs and eNV-200s everywhere....

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think it's fair to say this is not going quite as well as it could have done, for a sizable minority of drivers the service offered has been made once, although there is a promise that it will be restored, so far they've largely done what they said they would. I think we just need to show a little patience and let them get on with it, but then that's easy for me to say as a CCS driver who so far only sees improvements.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
As mentioned in the other thread - Lancaster MSA is being done this week (both directions), along with Lymm MSA.
I’ve never charged at Lancaster services as its 3 miles away from where I live, passed just as I got down to 9% and driven the last 3 miles in low power mode lighting up the dashboard like a Christmas Tree 😅

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Rooster-x. Might be to far south for your trip, junction 9 M6, Gallagher Retail Park has eight free 22kW Pod points. I've used them several times this year, been very reliable.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've used the M25 Cobham services a couple of times since they were upgraded, and haven't had any problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Fascinating. I see Leafs and eNV-200s everywhere....
There are plenty of local LEAFs here in North Wales. For whatever reason the single rapid charger at the Lidl in Llangefni is popular with visitors driving new EVs.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
754 Posts
There are plenty of local LEAFs here in North Wales. For whatever reason the single rapid charger at the Lidl in Llangefni is popular with visitors driving new EVs.
And older ones ...

Perhaps it's because there are only three sites with rapids on Anglesey, including this one. The other two are both around Holyhead, one of which is Ecotricity so we don't go near it.

We use both the others when we visit - both at supermarkets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts