Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,397 Posts
And older ones ...

Perhaps it's because there are only three sites with rapids on Anglesey, including this one. The other two are both around Holyhead, one of which is Ecotricity so we don't go near it.

We use both the others when we visit - both at supermarkets.
The Ecotricity "pump" should be usable by September, as Gridserve are replacing everything by then.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,762 Posts
There are plenty of local LEAFs here in North Wales. For whatever reason the single rapid charger at the Lidl in Llangefni is popular with visitors driving new EVs.
In my experience around here (where there's a reasonable mix of public charging when it all works) there are three main types of 'new EV' user of rapids nowadays:

• Those who you see for about a month whilst they're waiting for their home charger to be installed.
  • Those who you see for about 3 months rapid charging because they can't at home, before they realise there's a 7kW in a car park nearby and it's far better to just leave the car there for the day/night. There are two subsections of this type: Some owners will leave said vehicle in the car park all night, every night even if they only need 5kWh, and some you'll see once or twice a week.
  • Those who only ever rapid charge their car because they either:
    • Can't be bothered to charge it at 7kW because of some weird perception that they can't possibly park their car for that long; or
    • For some reason don't want to charge on their driveway - usually "it's a company vehicle and they pay for the fuel if I charge here" even though they have to spend an hour of every day wasting away at the rapid charger!
Either that or they're a dpd driver who should never have been given an electric van in the first place because they use the whole charge every day and were never, ever going to be able to charge at home or the depot :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
The Ecotricity "pump" should be usable by September, as Gridserve are replacing everything by then.
The EH chargers at Holyhead always worked for me on CHAdeMO and never worked for me on CCS.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
And older ones ...

Perhaps it's because there are only three sites with rapids on Anglesey, including this one. The other two are both around Holyhead, one of which is Ecotricity so we don't go near it.

We use both the others when we visit - both at supermarkets.
If the queue at the Llangefni Lidl is too long, there is a 22kW AC charger at TDL Event Services across the street. They are adjacent to Always Aim High / Sports Pursuit. The owner has a Model S and makes the charger available to all when he isn't using it.

There are also several 7kW posts nearby. Anglesey council put them in. I've never seen them in use. Some of them worked the last time I checked.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
Hi Rooster-x. Might be to far south for your trip, junction 9 M6, Gallagher Retail Park has eight free 22kW Pod points. I've used them several times this year, been very reliable.
Could be an option, I have used them once before a couple of years ago in the middle of the night but thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
Looks like Warwick Services Southbound Type 2 AC has been 'fixed' so maybe I won't have to go to Banbury after all! :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts