Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Toddington Harper, the new Gridserve Electric Highway units being installed throughout the UK will have "autocharge" - the first time you use one it will ask if you want it to remember you, and from then on all you have to do is park, plug in, and walk away. Big deal if it works!

GRIDSERVE®: Charging Ahead - YouTube

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
439 Posts
around 17:30 in the video for the demo.

yeh pretty good the tech is now coming to the UK. Electrify America has the tech, so its great it is now coming to the UK.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,571 Posts
Yes that’s a big plus for their network. Anything that makes things easier is good. As he said, making things really simple is actually really hard, which is why there’s been such a proliferation of platforms and apps.

·
Registered
2017 Leaf 30, 09 Honda Jazz LR
15 Posts
Wonder if autocharge will work with a Telsa with the CCS adaptor thingy?
A Tesla would work probably. Fastned have been doing autocharge for a while (don't know if that works on their UK sites). Tesla is absent from the list of unsupported cars there: Autocharge

Fastned's list of cars that don't work with autocharge does contain some surprises (VW ID.3, ID.4 amongst other newer cars).

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
349 Posts
From what I understand this might need to save each charger individually. Therefore not great for random trips but good for local chargers or frequently used one's on daily drives.

Still a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,736 Posts
From what I understand this might need to save each charger individually. Therefore not great for random trips but good for local chargers or frequently used one's on daily drives.

Still a step in the right direction.
Toddington said on the livestream that it will work across the entire "Gridserve Electric Highway" network, and may even expand to other networks via a roaming agreement.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
149 Posts
Fastned's list of cars that don't work with autocharge does contain some surprises (VW ID.3, ID.4 amongst other newer cars).
Hmmm, interesting… Toddington said it would work for “everyone”… we shall see! (Personally, I don’t expect to use GEH often enough for contactless to feel like a pain compared to autocharge 🙃)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
A Tesla would work probably. Fastned have been doing autocharge for a while (don't know if that works on their UK sites). Tesla is absent from the list of unsupported cars there: Autocharge

Yeah I'm interested whether they are intending to use the standard or if they've found another way.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
349 Posts
Toddington said on the livestream that it will work across the entire "Gridserve Electric Highway" network, and may even expand to other networks via a roaming agreement.
Depends how you interpret what he said.

I took it as he meant the app will work across the whole network.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Yeah I'm interested whether they are intending to use the standard or if they've found another way.
It sounded like they'll pair the car's unique ID with the payment method used in the app during the charging session when you press the "Remember me" button.

From then on, when you plug the car in, their database will go "Car xxxx is asking to charge, do we have a payment card set up?" - "yes" - Charge begins.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It sounded like they'll pair the car's unique ID with the payment method used in the app during the charging session when you press the "Remember me" button.

From then on, when you plug the car in, their database will go "Car xxxx is asking to charge, do we have a payment card set up?" - "yes" - Charge begins.
I understand how it should work...

The point is that the interface standard isn't being widely applied, or isn't being applied correctly. So FastNed can't use it for all cars, so what are Gridserve doing differently?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I understand how it should work...

The point is that the interface standard isn't being widely applied, or isn't being applied correctly. So FastNed can't use it for all cars, so what are Gridserve doing differently?
We'll just have to wait for them to tell us.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Fingers crossed. Despite having a tesla I’d prefer the convenience of motorway services where we may want to stop adhoc for a coffee/wee/leg stretch and grab some juice at the same time

right now super chargers are great but often in odd locations where you have to think a bit about whether to head to one or not

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
439 Posts
yeh first release of cars on MEB dont work but a OTA update will be fixing that before end of year. see video below @38:35 Plug&Charge

@1:53 Battery size & why buffers are important
@3:15 EPA range rating
@3:25 Why VW recommends not charging to 100% on a daily basis
@5:13 Level 1: 120-volt household charging
@7:10 Level 2: 240-volt charging
@8:43 DC fast charging
@10:26 The ID.4’s peak DC fast charge rate
@10:43 The ID.4's standard 120-volt level 1 charger
@12:05 Level 2 home charging equipment choices
@13:45 Our recommendation for level-2 home charging
@18:45 Level 1 10-amp (~1 kW): 2 Miles Of Range Per Hour
@18:56 Level 2 16-amp (3.6 kW): 10 Miles Of Range Per Hour
@19:07 Level 2 32-amp (7.7 kW): 20 Miles Of Range Per Hour
@19:16 Level 2 40-amp (9.6 kW): 27 Miles Of Range Per Hour
@19:27 Level 2 48-amp (11 kW): 32 Miles Of Range Per Hour
@19:43 Charging away from home
@20:57 The ID.4 & the CHAdeMO connector
@22:28 Using apps for better a charging experience
@24:35 The DC fast charging curve
@28:00 Charging the ID.4 on Tesla Charging Stations
@34:23 Tesla Superchargers
@35:50 ID.4 scheduled charging & Volkswagen’s Car-Net app
@36:37 The Auto Unlock Cable feature
@37:56 The ID Light
@38:35 Plug&Charge (sometimes called Autocharge)
@41:28 Reduced AC charging current

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
AIUI CCS doesn't yet support authentication etc. ( or at least most cars' implementations don't).
I'm pretty sure they're using the unique MAC address of the car's CCS interface, which talks ethernet over Homeplug GreenPhy.
ISTR reading somewhere there are a few cars which don't have unique MAC addresses, so these would be the only ones that wouldn't work.
In principle this could be vulnerable to cloning, but would be sufficently hard to do in practice , and teh benefits so small, that it's probably not worth it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Plug n go in the US is out now - assume this is using the same or very similar mechanism for IDing the car. Do we know how they do it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Plug n go in the US is out now - assume this is using the same or very similar mechanism for IDing the car. Do we know how they do it?
The charger exchanges information with the car when connected, including the VIN I believe so I presume that is how it works.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts