Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Now since Gridserve took over from Ecotricity to run Electric Highway and they have started replacing chargers, does anyone know if these chargers (with 2 cables, Chademo + CCS) can charge two vehicles at a time?

For example, I was at one of Services on A1(M) yesterday and they have 2 chargers - one for 2xCCS and one for Chademo+CCS. If someone is charging at charger number 2 on CCS, could I charge on the same charger using Chademo? Or would I have to wait like it was the case in the past (charging just one car at a time)

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
726 Posts
AFAIK they have not turned on dual charging for any of their stuff. So still wait I'm afraid.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-E Elite Premium
52 Posts
Yeah still only one working at a time. I phoned them up and they said they will be switching on dual soon. It creates mayhem when you have people turning up and you’re trying to create a queuing system!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know the answer or even the correct terminology but this may help.

The local Fastnet charging area has 2 'towers' each with 3 plugs (Chademo / CCS / AC). You might expect that each tower could support only one car at a time using which ever plug was required but in fact each tower can provide both AC 43kW and DC 50kW concurrently so each tower can support 2 cars concurrently (4 cars charging concurrently ) providing one is using AC and the other DC.

However, its not possible to charge 2 cars concurrently using DC (i.e. Chad and CCS) from each tower.

Curiously, whilst there are only 2 towers, there are 4 designated spaces and it looks like there was originally expected to be 4 towers but the outer 2 tower mounting points have been concreted over

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
726 Posts

The local Fastnet charging area has 2 'towers' each with 3 plugs (Chademo / CCS / AC). You might expect that each tower could support only one car at a time using which ever plug was required but in fact each tower can provide both AC 43kW and DC 50kW concurrently so each tower can support 2 cars concurrently (4 cars charging concurrently ) providing one is using AC and the other DC.

However, its not possible to charge 2 cars concurrently using DC (i.e. Chad and CCS) from each tower.

Curiously, whilst there are only 2 towers, there are 4 designated spaces and it looks like there was originally expected to be 4 towers but the outer 2 tower mounting points have been concreted over
A lot of the chargers are designed to be able to dual charge on DC, the problem mostly is the upstream supplies. Gridserve have however been saying they will enable dual charging with load sharing for a little while now, but still not happened. All the new chargers they are using though do support it, as they are used that way in Norway et al for a while now. Usually the cars draw as much as they can between them, as charging profiles are different as charge/temp increases they slow down, so a car at 10soc will maybe get 100kw and the one next to them with 80soc will get 40kW. So shared the 150kW load between them.

Bjorn has a decent breakdown of most of the different chargers on his youtube

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,125 Posts
My understanding is, right now, the chargers would simply split the available power (60kW at most sites) so the max a car would get is 30kW. The firmware to offer smart load sharing is supposed to be getting rolled out but I wonder if they’ve had problems with it.

It’s also possible that with many cars able to suck up 60kW the load sharing simply wouldn’t work as car number 1 would need to be nearly full before car number 2 got anything.

I do wonder if they’re waiting for supply upgrades rather than firmware.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The biggest issue with Gridserve charger software right now is that you can stop someone else’s charge simply by tapping the stop button on the screen. So someone else can come along - stop your charge and start one on the other connector.

ideally it would allow the second user to plug in - but then have a message saying something like your charge can’t start until the other one has finished.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,491 Posts
It’s also possible that with many cars able to suck up 60kW the load sharing simply wouldn’t work as car number 1 would need to be nearly full before car number 2 got anything.
I think the intended behaviour is that power will be shared as soon as the second car is plugged in, even if that means reducing power to the one that was there first.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts

The Fastned chargers in the North East are ABB Chargers too. They look very similar to the Gridserve Electric Highway units but aren't the same internally. These Fastned ones are 50kW max and can only charge 1 AC and 1 DC connection at a time. The Gridserve ones can do up to 120kW (although relies on an 800v system for this, it's about 60kW for the typical 400v car) and will be able to charge 2 cars at the same time, even 2 DC charge sessions together. A few sites already support dual charging but the full rollout is still waiting for the software to be perfected by the manufacturer.

The smaller Fastned hubs all had planning permission for 4 chargers but only had 2 installed to start with. It was to measure demand and expand easily at a later date. The wiring is already there and they can just quickly drop a charger on top. You'll notice that the 2 existing chargers are numbered charger 2 and 3, since they fully expect to put 1 and 4 alongside in future.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Don't expect any improved software or UI on the ABB kit any time soon, I've been driving EVs since 2015 and the UI on the ABB units is still as rubbish now as it was back then.

Also trying to share chargers between spaces is a practise that needs to be stopped, it just confuses things, just stick a charger per space, several companies even offer systems where charging stalls share a bank of charging hardware.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,885 Posts
Don't expect any improved software or UI on the ABB kit any time soon, I've been driving EVs since 2015 and the UI on the ABB units is still as rubbish now as it was back then.

Also trying to share chargers between spaces is a practise that needs to be stopped, it just confuses things, just stick a charger per space, several companies even offer systems where charging stalls share a bank of charging hardware.
Yep. I'm really looking forward to using one of Osprey's upcoming Kempower installations.

·
Registered
Ioniq
938 Posts
Does their website suggest that it is?

This has confused me for a while...

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

It says chademo is "available", but presumably right now it means you can plug in, but it won't actually do anything as the CCS is in use.

Here's another:

Rectangle Font Technology Electronic device Screenshot

I have no idea what that means. Presumably the CCS/chademo unit is broken, and the dual CCS unit is charging on one connection but is still showing the other connection as available even though it isn't really?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Does their website suggest that it is?

This has confused me for a while...

View attachment 152549
It says chademo is "available", but presumably right now it means you can plug in, but it won't actually do anything as the CCS is in use.

Here's another:

View attachment 152550

I have no idea what that means. Presumably the CCS/chademo unit is broken, and the dual CCS unit is charging on one connection but is still showing the other connection as available even though it isn't really?
I haven't read it on their web site but on one occasion I returned to my car which was charging on CCS and found another car adjacent using the AC connector from the same tower (on Fastned the AC connector is termed "Zoe Only" for some reason). Called Fastned to clarify and they said that whilst they didn't recommend 2 cars concurrently, it was possible but only [email protected] + [email protected] NOT [email protected] and that I wouldn't be charged for the AC connection!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree. Much clearer to do like Instavolt and Tesla do and have adjacent stalls sharing supply with the actual chargers in the nearby green cabinet and the visible "chargers" just being plugs and payment interfaces.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yup. Agree. Though to be fair to Gridserve with the MSA’s they are hamstrung by the existing configuration.
I’d expect that changing one unit for another is much easier than digging routes for cabling and putting in new foundations for more chargers in the same spot.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,885 Posts
Yup. Agree. Though to be fair to Gridserve with the MSA’s they are hamstrung by the existing configuration.
I’d expect that changing one unit for another is much easier than digging routes for cabling and putting in new foundations for more chargers in the same spot.
Exactly. Gridserve have always referred to this as phase 1 of their rollout - a "fast fix" for current issues.
Phase 2 will be the digging and cabling and foundationing and bigger hubs elsewhere in the MSA car parks.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80
354 Posts
Yep. I'm really looking forward to using one of Osprey's upcoming Kempower installations.
Ditto. Their setup of a bank of chargers feeding charge 'heads' in dynamic increments of 25kW is much better. Everyone can just rock up and get some charge and the system will allocate as/when more capacity is available. Also means if people want to sit to 80%+ they can and not take dedicated 10's of kW of spare capacity as it can be dynamically allocated to someone else.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts