Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Trip to Exeter yesterday stopped at a Gridserve charger on M5. There was another car using the CCS so plugged into Chademo. It should have automatically switched over when the other car finished, it didn't. Eventually after several attempts it accepted my card and charged, I have to say quite quickly. Checked my account this morning found payments pending for total £56. It appears that every time I presented my card it ring fenced a payment 3 payments of £12:50 and one of £20 This also included a charge on the way back at EH. I nearly had heart failure, I have no idea how to contact them, can't find a contact no. Just hoping that they don't decide to take the payment. Will know tomorrow.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
The subject of pre-authorisation holds on an account has been discussed in the forum numerous times. It is indeed one aspect that needs to be solved pretty soon as it spooks many EVers. In all cases, these sums are always released soon afterwards but sometimes a few days later which is unacceptable. These days there is absolutely no sound reason why that held money cannot be released instantly and replaced by the real cost of the charge as this is a task that is simplicity itself for computers. What is needed is the will of card providers to programme their systems accordingly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
There was another car using the CCS so plugged into Chademo. It should have automatically switched over when the other car finished, it didn't.

The same happens with the units that have two CCS cables. If the first is in use it looks like you can queue up the second cable to start when the first finishes (it accepts the card and says it is waiting). But it doesn't work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The subject of pre-authorisation holds on an account has been discussed in the forum numerous times. It is indeed one aspect that needs to be solved pretty soon as it spooks many EVers. In all cases, these sums are always released soon afterwards but sometimes a few days later which is unacceptable. These days there is absolutely no sound reason why that held money cannot be released instantly and replaced by the real cost of the charge as this is a task that is simplicity itself for computers. What is needed is the will of card providers to programme their systems accordingly.
When working normally, my phone pings to tell me of the preauth within seconds of starting to charge, and pings with the correct figure within a minute of ending. When I then check online, the preauth has gone, replaced by the actual amount.

So it really can work the way you want, at least sometimes.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I had this one too. It is irritating that it lets you go through quite a way through the process to set up and pay for a charge, and then it doesn't do anything at all and you have to start again. Why have two cables if you can't use both?

The real charges are sorted very quickly when the final amount goes through.

The non charge I had seemed to disappear the first working day afterwards so wasn't on my card for long but could have been a day or two.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On Trip to Exeter yesterday stopped at a Gridserve charger on M5. There was another car using the CCS so plugged into Chademo. It should have automatically switched over when the other car finished, it didn't. Eventually after several attempts it accepted my card and charged, I have to say quite quickly. Checked my account this morning found payments pending for total £56. It appears that every time I presented my card it ring fenced a payment 3 payments of £12:50 and one of £20 This also included a charge on the way back at EH. I nearly had heart failure, I have no idea how to contact them, can't find a contact no. Just hoping that they don't decide to take the payment. Will know tomorrow.
I have had an EV for 4yrs and regularly use the chargers on the M4 and M5 EH when they worked. As soon as the charge has finished I received notice of cost and that was that. This is the first time that this situation has happened so came as quite a shock. Thanks for all that responded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts