Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
2641 - 2660 of 2805 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Your battery temperature was probably too low for the BMS to allow higher currents. In my experience in our Kia, even a long drive at motorway speed doesn't add more than a few degrees to the battery (ignoring battery heater that our car doesn't have). I saw my "rapid" charge rate go up exactly when the minimum temperature in the battery reached 15C, after a number of minutes of DC charging. The rapid charging definitely heats the battery way more than just driving. Unfortunately, no sooner had the battery warmed than the SOC was getting higher and the BMS throttled the charging rate back again :-( Car limits not charger limits.
I wish car manufacturers would show battery pack minimum and maximum temperatures or show a message on the screen when charging, like "kW limited by temperature <15C", or "kW limited by SOC >75%"

I agree about using the cheaper chargers though, particularly in the winter. There are going to be many mortals with ordinary EVs that pre-date the cars with ultra fast charging.
(Another id3 owner here) battery temp will be fine after 2.5 hours of motorway drive…

SOC can be a limiting factor…? Needs to be in the teens or lower to pull the max rate.. you won’t get much above 50kw if you have 50% soc left.

But if you turned up with 15% soc after 2.5 hours of motorway driving and only got 40kw - I’d say something was up with the chargers!

·
Registered
Volkwagen ID3 1st Edition
186 Posts
Your battery temperature was probably too low for the BMS to allow higher currents. In my experience in our Kia, even a long drive at motorway speed doesn't add more than a few degrees to the battery (ignoring battery heater that our car doesn't have). I saw my "rapid" charge rate go up exactly when the minimum temperature in the battery reached 15C, after a number of minutes of DC charging. The rapid charging definitely heats the battery way more than just driving. Unfortunately, no sooner had the battery warmed than the SOC was getting higher and the BMS throttled the charging rate back again :-( Car limits not charger limits.
I wish car manufacturers would show battery pack minimum and maximum temperatures or show a message on the screen when charging, like "kW limited by temperature <15C", or "kW limited by SOC >75%"

I agree about using the cheaper chargers though, particularly in the winter. There are going to be many mortals with ordinary EVs that pre-date the cars with ultra fast charging.
40kw still seem too low for an ID3, if the temperature was 3-4C, state of charge is 40% and only driven for 10 mins it's what I'd expect, after 2.5hrs of driving I'd have thought 60-70kw would be a more normal minimum.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In a recent Fully Charged interview, Osprey said that they were adding information to the charger's display to indicate whether the charge rate was being limited by the charger or the car - seems like a good idea, IMHO both the car and the charger should provide that information.

·
Registered
145 Posts
40kw still seem too low for an ID3, if the temperature was 3-4C, state of charge is 40% and only driven for 10 mins it's what I'd expect, after 2.5hrs of driving I'd have thought 60-70kw would be a more normal minimum.
Last weekend I plugged my ID3 1st into a 150KW instavolt after only 30 minutes of motorway driving. SoC was 9% and I saw a charge rate of 84kW. The charge rate only dropped below 40kW when the SoC went above 83%. (9% -> 88% in 44 minutes, maximum 84kW, minimum 32kW. Stayed above 60Kw until about 60%, and above 50Kw until about 70%). Its the first time I've used a >60kW charger, and also the first time I've heard the battery cooling start up during rapid charging.

That said, would I want to regularly pay 50p/Kwh for that extra speed instead of 26p at a 50kW Lidl Podpoint or 39p on a 60Kw Gridserve charger...? Not sure! It was nice to find a bank of 4 chargers empty though :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
That said, would I want to regularly pay 50p/Kwh for that extra speed instead of 26p at a 50kW Lidl Podpoint or 39p on a 60Kw Gridserve charger...? Not sure! It was nice to find a bank of 4 chargers empty though :)
I'm not sure I'd bother, unless I was there literally to charge and had nothing else to do (or was in a hurry). Generally I find in my Zoe that after I've walked into the services, eaten, etc, the charge % is higher than anticipated. If it could charge over 50kW I'd just be hogging a charger and paying extra for no benefit!

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
254 Posts
Between 15 degrees and 25 degrees seems to be the sweet spot for the 400v Hyundai and Kia cars for fast charging
Not between those values. Apparently it is over 25C for those cars.

The Fastned website has some interesting charge characteristics for different models, but look carefully at the text around the graphs, which describes the optimum temperature
"The charge curve below shows the charging behaviour of this car when the battery is in optimal conditions (around. 30 °C). A colder (or warmer) battery can result is a significantly lower charge speed."
https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360013336618-Charging-with-a-Volkswagen-ID-3
https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360007699174-Charging-with-a-Kia-e-Niro
https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/205694717-What-determines-the-charge-speed-
The upshot is that for quite a lot of cars you need either summer temperatures, or mild spring/autumn temperatures, perhaps lifted a bit by driving, or lifted by a battery heater if one is fitted.

I discovered the following temperature dependencies for the Niro/Soul/Kona era cars:
25C or over permits 200A (full speed ~77kW)
15 - 24.9C permits 150A (about 56kW)
5 - 14.9C permits 110A (about 42kW)
under 5C limits to 60A (about 21kW)
(I've used decimals because the forum starts to interpret the greater-than and less than as text markup)
Thread and evidence from here I can vouch for the 15C threshold because I was monitoring with CarScanner and an OBD2 port dongle and saw the current go up from 108A to 150A when the minimum battery pack temperature reached 15C on a cold day a few weeks ago after only driving only 30 minutes in slow traffic to Exeter Moto.

According to the text under this Youtube video, the temperature break-points for the VW iD3 are:
over 12°C charging speed cca. 65
over 17°C charging speed cca. 100 kW
over 20°C max output (but only if you start charging below 18% SOC)
Obviously there may be some changes with software and specifications, but it does look like the VWs are faster with mild temperatures and may have a battery heater on if the nav has a charger as the destination (I've seen in some reports)

God how I wish manufacturers would have some clear, unambiguous specifications!

·
Registered
ID3 Life Pro - Stonewashed Blue Towbar
370 Posts
(Another id3 owner here) battery temp will be fine after 2.5 hours of motorway drive…
SOC can be a limiting factor…? Needs to be in the teens or lower to pull the max rate.. you won’t get much above 50kw if you have 50% soc left.
But if you turned up with 15% soc after 2.5 hours of motorway driving and only got 40kw - I’d say something was up with the chargers!
Thinking about it, it was over an hour after I'd done the journey to Exeter that I went to the charger, probably enough time to screw up the chances of a higher charge rate. Although it really didnt affect me other than paying a bit more for no benefit.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,491 Posts
If they keep working Gridserve are giving away free electricity so I'm sure they'll do something with them. My guess is that it's costing them more than it's worth to keep the backend running for the app at this point, so they've cancelled the server it ran on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If they keep working Gridserve are giving away free electricity so I'm sure they'll do something with them. My guess is that it's costing them more than it's worth to keep the backend running for the app at this point, so they've cancelled the server it ran on.
Seems slightly odd that they announced that the upgrades are complete before doing the last few if they intend to actually upgrade them though.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Tried out Burton in Kendal today. Unfortunately three of the new chargers were broken and I had a chat with the ABB person who was there fixing them. Lots of issues even though they’re brand new he was saying… quality issues in the factory in Italy. Anyway - it’s nicely laid out - so well done Gridserve.

didn’t get a notably fast charge though.. was hoping for north of 70kw given my SOC and a warm battery… (VW id3)

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,902 Posts
Tried out Burton in Kendal today - it’s nicely laid out - so well done Gridserve.
Yes. Pity that the services buildings and facilities are not the best though. I wish they had put that hub in at Tebay which is an exceptionally good pit stop place. Because of this, more people plan to stop at Tebay - but they still only have two Rapids there. Double whammy over queues at Tebay. So I now must choose between a crappy ambience but excellent hub charging, or superb facilities but less good charging. And only 20 miles apart.

2641 - 2660 of 2805 Posts