Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

261 - 280 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,116 Posts
Not wanting to push luck but if we get the 22kW posts (great!) I hope they have a payment system and are not just free vend, as much as I'd like the freebies, so would every hybrid and everyone with CCS who isn't in a hurry to leave...
From what I've read elsewhere, Gridserve had added payment onto the Braintree 22kW AC posts by the Monday after a weekend visit from RZOC. This bodes well for your wish.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was at Beaconsfield last weekend and we had two cars (i3, Tesla 3) plugged into the same charger at once. I3 was coming to the end of their charge 95% and the Tesla had just plugged in (24%)

Tesla was only getting 11kW, once it moved to a separate charger it got 75kW.
That's interesting. Could it be these chargers are negotiating AC for the 2nd car?

·
Registered
433 Posts
That bus was interesting too - it’s not blocking the bay, it’s trying to use it because it’s electric! Westway have just taken delivery of it; they’ve built a substation at their base in Fleet to charge it, but wanted to see if they could use the charger. That one was supposed to be working, but the driver couldn’t get it to work on the app, then when he used contactless it said it was waiting for power. So not good...
Probably a bit off-topic for here, but that's pretty cool. We need more of these. There's some more information on that site - https://pelicanyutong.co.uk/coaches/tce12-electric-coach/ - 281kWh battery! Although I'd be a bit annoyed if I rolled in to the services and a bus was blocking the chargers for 4 hours 😆

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,527 Posts
Probably a bit off-topic for here, but that's pretty cool. We need more of these. There's some more information on that site - https://pelicanyutong.co.uk/coaches/tce12-electric-coach/ - 281kWh battery! Although I'd be a bit annoyed if I rolled in to the services and a bus was blocking the chargers for 4 hours 😆
I was wondering where the charge port is located and how feasible public charging would be for a coach! The Gridserve Electric Forecourts have a space for charging a HGV, but it could be PSV EVs that make use of it first. Hopefully the cable will be long enough!

Reactions: Neilew and dparr59

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
271 Posts
I can’t work out their maths.

281kWh battery, can be charged on 60, 90 or 120kW DC yet they claim it can be fully charged in less than two hours.

·
3,527 Posts
I can’t work out their maths.

281kWh battery, can be charged on 60, 90 or 120kW DC yet they claim it can be fully charged in less than two hours.
Maybe that’s from 20% to 80% that most manufacturers use when quoting rapid charging times.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
271 Posts
Maybe that’s from 20% to 80% that most manufacturers use when quoting rapid charging times.
Aye that’s what I’d assumed, though they specifically say “possible to get a full charge in less than two hours”. Which is true if you start at 30% say. A bit sneaky but then they’re not the only ones to word it like this I guess

·
Registered
146 Posts
and how feasible public charging would be for a coach! The Gridserve Electric Forecourts have a space for charging a HGV, but it could be PSV EVs that make use of it first.
If I remember correctly, some of the York Park & Ride buses are electric, and charge with CCS. At one time you could use their charger, but would have to leave if a bus turned up.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,704 Posts
Some buses have more then one CCS connections.
I've often wondered about the practical difficulties over partitioning batteries so that two halves can be charged independently using two adjacent pumps. And then some electronic wizardry that can carefully balance both halves and then reconnect as one unit. That would halve the speed of charging.

Imagine a Taycan that can charge at 20% to 80% in 18 minutes or whatever it can do being able to do that in 9 minutes using its 800v and 350 Kw ability but by using two side by side Rapids charging half of its battery each. And then re-combining them after charging ends.

Or a Kona doubling its miles per hour charge rate by being able to split the battery and charge each half on two Rapids separately. Obviously just reconnecting the two halves if one was at 80% and the other at 90% would cause an issue but surely a brief balance period would sort that out. And probably not delay the journey as the car would be able to drive away on the higher side SOC until it matched the other half at which time the electronics could combine them again.

After all, a bus with two CCS sockets must already have some form of battery split or that woudn't work with them either.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
589 Posts
I've often wondered about the practical difficulties over partitioning batteries so that two halves can be charged independently using two adjacent pumps. And then some electronic wizardry that can carefully balance both halves and then reconnect as one unit. That would halve the speed of charging.

Imagine a Taycan that can charge at 20% to 80% in 18 minutes or whatever it can do being able to do that in 9 minutes using its 800v and 350 Kw ability but by using two side by side Rapids charging half of its battery each. And then re-combining them after charging ends.

Or a Kona doubling its miles per hour charge rate by being able to split the battery and charge each half on two Rapids separately. Obviously just reconnecting the two halves if one was at 80% and the other at 90% would cause an issue but surely a brief balance period would sort that out. And probably not delay the journey as the car would be able to drive away on the higher side SOC until it matched the other half at which time the electronics could combine them again.

After all, a bus with two CCS sockets must already have some form of battery split or that woudn't work with them either.
I can see the advantage of using 2 lower power chargers to charge half a big battery, but your Taycan example probably won't work, as you are effectively charging half a battery at the same power, so doubling the C rate. I'd imagine the Taycan at a single 350kW station is already at the limit of the speed of charge it can accept.
Not to mention the added aspect of charger rage when someone rocks up at a 2 charger site and hogs both chargers!

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,333 Posts
If I remember correctly, some of the York Park & Ride buses are electric, and charge with CCS. At one time you could use their charger, but would have to leave if a bus turned up.
Charging at York Park & Ride ( 2017 )

New Buse Fleet for York ( 2021 )

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
... and this was the scene at Sandbach northbound yesterday (Friday 4 June), with two units being installed close to the building entrance (convenient, or prime ICEing territory?):

View attachment 145510

(Would have posted last night but by close of play had had quite enough of the M6, thanks 😱)
Its a bit of an issue putting them close to the facilities. EVs are good for the less abled/disabled, most wouldn't require any adaptions so they would want to be near the facilities. ICEing is bad form wherever it happens but put all the EV pumps at the far end of the car park and you have people in wheelchairs, those with passengers with dementia trying to get to the facilitid. The new MSA at Rugby fails the disability test as do many of the pumps.

·
EGGY
1,551 Posts
Any news on Grantham?
Aaah Grantham, my first ever charge after picking the i3 up, in the sleet and the fog. Do you think they'll move it away from the skip ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Neilew and Tooks

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,593 Posts
Aaah Grantham, my first ever charge after picking the i3 up, in the sleet and the fog. Do you think they'll move it away from the skip ? :rolleyes:
I think it’s skips now, there were two last time I was there (in the Tesla!).

·
3,527 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So all these new chargers are CCS + a few Chadamo, and a comment says they may be adding type 2 in separate posts, does anyone know if the type 2 will appear at all charging stations. If not the my Zero wont be going further than 40 miles from home!

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,655 Posts
So all these new chargers are CCS + a few Chadamo, and a comment says they may be adding type 2 in separate posts, does anyone know if the type 2 will appear at all charging stations. If not the my Zero wont be going further than 40 miles from home!
As far as I know, all motorway locations are getting at least 1 Type 2, though some will be standalone AC Posts while others will be built in to the rapid chargers themselves. Either way they will be 22kW, and most likely socketed rather than tethered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. Hopefully soon. For info … the new 3 head unit at Cherwell has been downgraded to a 2 head CCS only, ( which is broken) with a new 2 head CCS/Chadamo (working) so no T2. Also although these units are supposed to dual charge they don’t, you get ‘Not authorised to charge’ until other head stops charging.
2F78DD05-E979-4832-BA92-B1F15F7EE2EE.jpeg

261 - 280 of 331 Posts