Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
The units at Sandbach Northbound are the reverse... the CCS-pair is working, though on free vend, while the CCS/Chademo is not working.

The place is still a worksite though, with a trench dug to a power cabinet, with no sign of cable or conduit as yet.

Couldn't try 2 cars at a time, but the single charge looks to have peaked around 65kW.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,469 Posts
Out of the 10 new ones showing up on Zap, 2 of them are genuinely broken (3 indicated but for one the poster is just seemingly making a comment with the wrong status)

Not the greatest start but hopefully just teething troubles.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,394 Posts
Out of the 10 new ones showing up on Zap, 2 of them are genuinely broken (3 indicated but for one the poster is just seemingly making a comment with the wrong status)

Not the greatest start but hopefully just teething troubles.
I must say the GridServe help desk is a vast improvement on Ecodisasters, I phoned them up because I couldn't start a charger with my contactless debit card, it kept asking for RFID card, the nice lady on the GridServe Help Desk said yeah bit of a problem there because they haven't issued any yet, here let me start charger for you and have 90 mins for free. 👍

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,116 Posts
Leigh Delamere West has been reported as in the process of being upgraded. Previously no CCS so that will be a boon for those heading to Bristol and beyond.
Went past there a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, I had plenty of electrons on board.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
Went past there a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, I had plenty of electrons on board.
It isn't the biggest or busiest MSA but it is well situated for a quick charge. I used to travel Newport to Alton after a day's work and after escaping from an intense day found caffeine was needed just 45 minutes or so into my journey.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I popped round to Cobham yesterday early afternoon. Interesting, but not reassuring...
View attachment 145493
The engineers were back on site - not clear exactly what had gone wrong, and I didn’t want to look as if I was stroppy by pushing them, but obviously not good news. The cars in the bays are actually engineers’ cars, but the white Leaf had just turned up with a harassed driver clearly needing a charge. It was a 17 plate, so not a 40kwh and presumably without much leeway.

I had been OK with the idea of 5 CCS and 1 Chademo on the basis that they were dual car charging and CCS has won the standard war. What I hadn’t appreciated was that there’s a bank of Ionity chargers at Cobham - a couple of Chademos doesn’t seem unreasonable in that case. It can’t, surely, be that expensive to change one over a year or two later? Plus, the engineers seemed very unclear whether they could charge two cars at once.

That bus was interesting too - it’s not blocking the bay, it’s trying to use it because it’s electric! Westway have just taken delivery of it; they’ve built a substation at their base in Fleet to charge it, but wanted to see if they could use the charger. That one was supposed to be working, but the driver couldn’t get it to work on the app, then when he used contactless it said it was waiting for power. So not good...

I left them to it after that, but did get from one of the team that they are doing the south-east upgrades, and that they have Heston and Winchester northbound to do next.
I didn't realise Cobham was upgraded when I stopped there on Tuesday - I used the Ionity to get me enough charge to get to Rugby. Only when leaving did I notice the new Ecotricity units (with about 4 cars trying to charge and nobody seeming to have much success). Hopefully just teething issues, the setup at Rugby is excellent.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
I didn't realise Cobham was upgraded when I stopped there on Tuesday - I used the Ionity to get me enough charge to get to Rugby. Only when leaving did I notice the new Ecotricity units (with about 4 cars trying to charge and nobody seeming to have much success). Hopefully just teething issues, the setup at Rugby is excellent.
The setup at Rugby is poor for the disabled... there will be many complaints in the future.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Thank **** for that, one less tosser involved in ruining the charging infrastructure of the UK.
I could not have put it better myself. Time to look for another EV methinks. Gridserve have done more in a couple of months that ecotricity did in many years.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
Integrating the Electric Highway into the proposed Gridserve charging hub network makes excellent news and a great future for EV driving. Provided they can get grid connections to MSAs upgraded quickly as is proposed by Western Powers project 'Take Charge' quickly it will put the skates under the competition to get into gear. Future looks bright the future looks Green (not Orange this time!).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,116 Posts
Integrating the Electric Highway into the proposed Gridserve charging hub network makes excellent news and a great future for EV driving. Provided they can get grid connections to MSAs upgraded quickly as is proposed by Western Powers project 'Take Charge' quickly it will put the skates under the competition to get into gear. Future looks bright the future looks Green (not Orange this time!).
Things are definitely looking up, with the recent OFGEM announcement of £300m towards infrastructure for charging at MSAs & trunk road hubs.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,702 Posts
All of this is excellent news of course. My only concern at present is that a bit more attention needs to be paid to keeping drivers advised of locations about to be switched off for work to proceed. What we need now is a lot more liaison with people such as ZapMap so that we can plan to avoid sites about to be attended by engineers that morning. Gridserve must have a plan for the next month or so and all it would take is to share that with app providers. As usual, we can all travel around with little difficulty as long as we have up to date and accurate information about potential charge points. Absent that it can be very frustrating if we roll up at an MSM to find that three Gridserve vans just arrived ten minutes ago and Heras fenced off the entire area.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
All of this is excellent news of course. My only concern at present is that a bit more attention needs to be paid to keeping drivers advised of locations about to be switched off for work to proceed. What we need now is a lot more liaison with people such as ZapMap so that we can plan to avoid sites about to be attended by engineers that morning. Gridserve must have a plan for the next month or so and all it would take is to share that with app providers. As usual, we can all travel around with little difficulty as long as we have up to date and accurate information about potential charge points. Absent that it can be very frustrating if we roll up at an MSM to find that three Gridserve vans just arrived ten minutes ago and Heras fenced off the entire area.
Better ring them up...

281 - 300 of 331 Posts