Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

301 - 320 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
All of this is excellent news of course. My only concern at present is that a bit more attention needs to be paid to keeping drivers advised of locations about to be switched off for work to proceed. What we need now is a lot more liaison with people such as ZapMap so that we can plan to avoid sites about to be attended by engineers that morning. Gridserve must have a plan for the next month or so and all it would take is to share that with app providers. As usual, we can all travel around with little difficulty as long as we have up to date and accurate information about potential charge points. Absent that it can be very frustrating if we roll up at an MSM to find that three Gridserve vans just arrived ten minutes ago and Heras fenced off the entire area.
Agreed... if it weren't for Electric Highway 2021 Upgrade - Google My Maps + Zap-Map, we wouldn't even know

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,116 Posts
All of this is excellent news of course. My only concern at present is that a bit more attention needs to be paid to keeping drivers advised of locations about to be switched off for work to proceed. What we need now is a lot more liaison with people such as ZapMap so that we can plan to avoid sites about to be attended by engineers that morning. Gridserve must have a plan for the next month or so and all it would take is to share that with app providers. As usual, we can all travel around with little difficulty as long as we have up to date and accurate information about potential charge points. Absent that it can be very frustrating if we roll up at an MSM to find that three Gridserve vans just arrived ten minutes ago and Heras fenced off the entire area.
I have asked them on Twitter to keep us updated.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
So the vegan gets lots of money for selling the impossibly bad charging network, so he can trick people into thinking fake meat is good...
Just be thankful for the possible future benefit. A lot of people have got a lot of money for not doing much.... they are mostly untalented people on TV.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just been checking Zap Map and locations of Rapids near me in South Wales and further afield and there seems to be a worrying number of faulty NEW/Next Gen Ecotricity units that have only just come on line. Hopefully these are just teething issues….

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
Just been checking Zap Map and locations of Rapids near me in South Wales and further afield and there seems to be a worrying number of faulty NEW/Next Gen Ecotricity units that have only just come on line. Hopefully these are just teething issues….
Looks like the Ecotricity app is no longer functional? That might be an issue for the old units, normally they would go to free vend. From what I can see of the new installation chargers there have been issues and the works aren’t complete at all locations. There seems to be a lull in new starts before next week.

·
Registered
Smart EQ Forfour, Audi E-tron 50
3 Posts
Looks like the Ecotricity app is no longer functional? That might be an issue for the old units, normally they would go to free vend. From what I can see of the new installation chargers there have been issues and the works aren’t complete at all locations. There seems to be a lull in new starts before next week.
The app still seems to be working fine for me.

I used two old Electric Highway chargers via the app in the last couple of days on CCS and they charged fine.

I also used 2 upgraded chargers that are on free vend at the moment. Sadly some users aren't realising they're free and have got confused and marked them as not working on ZapMap.

I've also seen some people calling the old Electric Highway support line to deal with the new chargers and then complaining they can't help.

The new number is literally written on the chargers, 0333 1234 333.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
On Monday I did about 250 miles and noticed that Beaconsfield Services on the M40, even though upgraded, was free as it started without me tapping my card on the reader. At least Gridserve are carrying on that old tradition of Ecotricity!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good news for those of us with Chademo cars. It looks like Gridserve are going to increase the number of Chademo connectors at some retrofitted sites:

This is the zap-map chat section for Cobham services, so could be limited to that site.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,092 Posts
Allow me a little wry smile at the complaints from the Chad guys after years of listening to some of them gloat about being able to use motorway charging problem free, and for free, most of the time…

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
Like the strategy which seems to be start with those needing a quick fix at strategic intervals along the motorways to share the love. The east side of Birmingham needs a fix; its about 2 hours from the South Coast and will be an important topping up and comfort point for those of us venturing 'Up North'. (I'm an ex Northerner)

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
151 Posts

·
Registered
VW eGolf
302 Posts
Allow me a little wry smile at the complaints from the Chad guys after years of listening to some of them gloat about being able to use motorway charging problem free, and for free, most of the time…
The Leaf owners have a lot to come to terms with. The EH was effectively created for them, with government and Nissan money, and more CHAdeMO connectors than anything else. That early dominance has shrunk away and now it's a very small minority of BEVs on the road.

There's about 40,000 Leafs on the road (Nissan passed 40k sold, howmanyleft says about 36k as of 2020). There were over 13,000 new BEVs sold in May 2020 (maybe a few hundred Leafs and other CHAdeMO cars among them), and over 260,000 BEVs on the roads in total.

Charging providers are building for what customers need now, and in the coming years. 15% and rapidly shrinking marketshare means going for majority CCS only with some provision for others is probably the right call.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
467 Posts
great idea but given how bad some people are at putting together flatpacks, mechano, lego sets etc.... got help us with the road safety!!!
They would need to have to put the cars through some safey check scheme before allowing them on the road!
This used to be a thing years ago because it avoided paying a substantial amount of tax. The first thing you did once built was to drive it carefully back to the factory where they, ahem, rebuilt it!

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Leaf owners have a lot to come to terms with. The EH was effectively created for them, with government and Nissan money, and more CHAdeMO connectors than anything else. That early dominance has shrunk away and now it's a very small minority of BEVs on the road.
Don't think there was much UK government money go into the Electric Highway. EU funding - yes. Ecotricity's own books - yes. The EU's Ten-T scheme helped to get a fair chunk of them installed (most of the triple-headed DBT units were part of that tranche), and Renault/Nissan provided a lot of the early DBT hardware, and it would have been daft at the time for Ecotricity to turn down free hardware when CCS hadn't even been invented at the time, and Tesla hadn't even launched the Model S in the UK.

301 - 320 of 331 Posts