Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,861 Posts
The charger that this replaced only needed 43kW, they have replaced it with a charger that would need at least 100kW to charge 2 cars simultaneously, the chargers probably support simultaneous charging it's the likely the existing electrical connections that don't.
It doesn't have to do that. These chargers are quick replacements for existing chargers whilst they get their act together and install the multitude of chargers elsewhere on the site. They're just a quick fix that shows that they are actually doing 'something'.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The charger that this replaced only needed 43kW, they have replaced it with a charger that would need at least 100kW to charge 2 cars simultaneously, the chargers probably support simultaneous charging it's the likely the existing electrical connections that don't.
I think the ABB unit they've put in there can charge two vehicles at once, but only one AC and one DC at a time. Of course, Ecotricity will need to change their app front-end to stop it assuming that a particular unit can only serve one vehicle at a time and understand the particular limitations of each charger design. Quite a few high-power charger designs are modular and can charge more than one vehicle at a time with DC, but of course, it'll be limited by whatever supply can feed it, so it'll slow the charge rates offered accordingly to avoid overloading the available power feed.
Quite a lot of a charge session is taken up by tapering the charge rates anyway, so if a vehicle is only drawing 20kW from an available 43kW, it's not too bad if a newly arrived vehicle can only draw 23kW while they're waiting for the first vehicle to drive away.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,556 Posts
Why would anyone use the app if the chargers take contactless? Far easier to just tap a card. If the app doesn't allow the right number of people to charge I'd assume it will be dumped or altered quite quickly.

What happens to ecotricity customers that are used to having a reduced charging cost? I suspect that's another pile of elephant dung that will appear soon...

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,343 Posts
I agree, contactless for me every time, far more convenient, but I only have 1 contactless debit card, if it does this security thing where it doesn't work because it wants me to put in my PIN No to prove it's me. Then in this situation I would have to rely on the APP working, so there can be times when various payment options are desirable.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,556 Posts
I have a PingIT card which is contactless only so it shouldn't ever be refused due to PIN issues. Ironically Instavolt wouldn't take it when I tried it. Rather annoying as it refused the other normal bank card too. It's why I prefer the single RFID solution.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
I like the choice too. The more payment options, the better.

On Instavolt, I love that I can use a credit/ debit card, but I tend to use the Chargepoint app anyway because it offers the best of both worlds - instantly start/ stop using the virtual card in my Apple Wallet, but I can also check the progress of my charge in the app. If the app were to flake out, I can use my debit card. If the debit card flakes out, I can use the app. I think I have an RFID card registered to them as well, as a third option.

Geniepoit, I won't go near the app if I don't have to. It's awful. RFID card again.

Fastned is, as I've said before, magic. Starts automatically. I only use the app 30 seconds later as I'm walking away to check the charge rate.

(New) Ecotricity - I'd assume a new app & RFID card with back-end by Gridserve, presumably so you only have to register once. Gridserve are promising autocharge too, although I don't know if that would be on the Ecotricity chargers, or just in their forecourts. Obviously contactless debit/ credit too, but I'm glad they have the option of app & RFID card too. Maybe for Ecotricity domestic energy customers, they would have to pay by app/ RFID to link up with their 50% discount. More likely, it will quietly disappear!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why would anyone use the app if the chargers take contactless? Far easier to just tap a card. If the app doesn't allow the right number of people to charge I'd assume it will be dumped or altered quite quickly.

What happens to ecotricity customers that are used to having a reduced charging cost? I suspect that's another pile of elephant dung that will appear soon...
It's useful since it does give real-time availability, which is useful if you're low on charge and looking for nearby charge points. Ideally that real-time availability per connector should be shared with all interested parties (zap-map, plugshare, in-car navigation systems etc)
And yes, if the chargers are capable of remote control via an app, website, phone line, or even good old fashioned RFID, it would be daft to disable that functionality.. because if the contactless payment back end is down but the charger is otherwise working, then it's another way to interact with the charger.
If contactless payment terminal is giving comms errors, or errors at the back-end should the unit default to free-vend? What about if someone's contactless payment card is being rejected by the bank because the banks wants to key in a pin on a non-existent pin pad because there's some arbitrarily set, unpublished contactless transaction count limit exceeded?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think the ABB unit they've put in there can charge two vehicles at once, but only one AC and one DC at a time. Of course, Ecotricity will need to change their app front-end to stop it assuming that a particular unit can only serve one vehicle at a time and understand the particular limitations of each charger design. Quite a few high-power charger designs are modular and can charge more than one vehicle at a time with DC, but of course, it'll be limited by whatever supply can feed it, so it'll slow the charge rates offered accordingly to avoid overloading the available power feed.
Quite a lot of a charge session is taken up by tapering the charge rates anyway, so if a vehicle is only drawing 20kW from an available 43kW, it's not too bad if a newly arrived vehicle can only draw 23kW while they're waiting for the first vehicle to drive away.
(New) Ecotricity - I'd assume a new app & RFID card with back-end by Gridserve, presumably so you only have to register once. Gridserve are promising autocharge too, although I don't know if that would be on the Ecotricity chargers, or just in their forecourts. Obviously contactless debit/ credit too, but I'm glad they have the option of app & RFID card too. Maybe for Ecotricity domestic energy customers, they would have to pay by app/ RFID to link up with their 50% discount. More likely, it will quietly disappear!
Aren't Gridserve working on their own app? So I would expect that to replace the Ecotricity one, or a branded version of it (as some providers do - eg. operators using the Fortum Charge & Drive backend all have the same app with different branding and chargers).

It's useful since it does give real-time availability, which is useful if you're low on charge and looking for nearby charge points. Ideally that real-time availability per connector should be shared with all interested parties (zap-map, plugshare, in-car navigation systems etc)
I notice Braintree doesn't report status to Zap-Map. Hopefully that is coming as it would be very useful for the Ecotricity chargers given the current low numbers per site.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,127 Posts
Aren't Gridserve working on their own app? So I would expect that to replace the Ecotricity one, or a branded version of it (as some providers do - eg. operators using the Fortum Charge & Drive backend all have the same app with different branding and chargers).

I notice Braintree doesn't report status to Zap-Map. Hopefully that is coming as it would be very useful for the Ecotricity chargers given the current low numbers per site.
Just having CCS at every site would be a major bonus😃

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,779 Posts

Gridserve have said that they're implementing "Plug & Charge". We'd probably need to charge once with a contactless card or app to register for it though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Gridserve have said that they're implementing "Plug & Charge". We'd probably need to charge once with a contactless card or app to register for it though.
Doesn't the car need to support it first? I don't think any cars except Mercedes can at the moment.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Doesn't the car need to support it first? I don't think any cars except Mercedes can at the moment.
No. It just reads the vehicle's ID when you plug in and bills the account it is associated with. Fastned already do this and it seems to work with anything equipped with CCS that I have tried so far.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,744 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
No. It just reads the vehicle's ID when you plug in and bills the account it is associated with. Fastned already do this and it seems to work with anything equipped with CCS that I have tried so far.
I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers forget to implement this though...

I'm not holding out much hope for backwards-compatibility of. Plug and Charge

Tritium explains that electric vehicles will also need a way to secure the vehicle -side cryptographic key which they say will become commonplace with emerging models.
Yep I'm pretty doubtful this is gonna work with any CCS car that doesn't support the standard. This process requires PKI and TLS handshake which might require new hardware. Only ones that seem to support this so far are

Audi E-tron (2019), BWM (2020/2021), Daimler EQC (2019), Porsche Taycan (2019), smart electric drive v3 (since 2017), VW ID (202x ??)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
I would guess Fastned uses its own proprietary method of identifying the car - precisely because there isn't or wasn't an autocharge standard to work to. And maybe they couldn't find a method that works with the cars above.

It's very simple to set up though. Start a charge via the app (you need to register and store a payment card), and then the enable autocharge on that car. Next time you don't need the app at all (though it's useful to check the charge progress). Just plug and go.

I think the new system that Tritium is talking about is more of a standard, so potentially more stable and secure, at the expense of not working with older vehicles. Ionity also talks about this.

Standards, eh? Who'd have 'em.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I would guess Fastned uses its own proprietary method of identifying the car - precisely because there isn't or wasn't an autocharge standard to work to. And maybe they couldn't find a method that works with the cars above.
No. It's a published AutoCharge standard since 2012. There's also the ISO15118 standard. But they are additional to the CCS standard and not required within.

The problem is that AutoCharge sucks at security because it only relies on the MAC address. I could easily spoof the system and charge using someone else's car if I first phished their MAC address.

·
Registered
397 Posts
No. It's a published AutoCharge standard since 2012. There's also the ISO15118 standard. But they are additional to the CCS standard and not required within.

The problem is that AutoCharge sucks at security because it only relies on the MAC address. I could easily spoof the system and charge using someone else's car if I first phished their MAC address.

I think the reason some cars don't work with it on FastNed is because the MAC addresses aren't unique.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts