Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
881 - 900 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi,
I was under the impression that for now only 1 charger per Machine can charge at any one time. They are awaiting a software update, who k kws when, that will then properly balance the charges according to each car needs.
I agree it does not explain why they all went down, but might explain why you could not charge at the same time on same machine.
That is my understanding too. I may not have explained well but yesterday only one of the two plugs were being used at any one time. The CCS/Chademo charger did have 2 cars plugged in but only one car was able to charge at any one point. I anticipate this will change following the software update. I was impressed by the length and flexibility of the cables at the new Gridserve chargers, but in many cases it will not be physically possible to park in such a way as to use all available plugs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When two cars connect to the same unit the second user is able to request charging to start but the charger then makes the second user wait until the first user is finished. There is a message on the charger for the second user something like 'waiting for power'.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Contactless cards are blocked by banks after just a few attempts to start a charge. The banks ask the chargers for PIN verification which they cant do, then the card is blocked until the PIN has been verified. I reckon your card was blocked before you tried Google pay. The card readers must have been working to generate the preauth. You need to always use Google/Apple pay first. I know I sound like a stuck record, but stuck is what you will be if you try to use contactless cards on EV chargers. My Bank owned up to this, and Instavolt confirmed they were seeing it more and more. The increased security came in not last Autumn but the one before.
You may be right but I'm not sure why it kept taking a pre-auth fee if card was blocked (six in total).

I have started using Google Pay as default after advice on here but earlier on my journey Google Pay was refused at an Instavolt charger so thought I'd use my credit card instead.

I do carry 4 or 5 different contactless payment methods but fear that this is a potential point of failure that cause leave some stranded.

At least Gridserve were willing and able to start a charge remotely and without direct payment on this occasion.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
When two cars connect to the same unit the second user is able to request charging to start but the charger then makes the second user wait until the first user is finished. There is a message on the charger for the second user something like 'waiting for power'.
Interesting, I was getting a 'waiting for power' message after plugging in and offering my payment card, then a charge failure message after about 20 seconds. I was the only vehicle plugged in though.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,513 Posts
Wonder how that supply of AC equipment is coming along. Thought it was meant to kick off after a month or so...

• Lancaster M6 (SB)
If it wasn't for the Park & Ride and abundance of charging inside Lancaster in a pinch, that would be me not going anywhere South of me for the foreseeable!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,397 Posts
UPDATE - The £20 pre-auth Gridserve took for this charge on Saturday has now disappeared from my bank "pending payments" tab, but the actual charging fee has not appeared on "recent transactions".
I may have been premature about missing the free vend period!
UPDATE 2 - Charging fee has finally arrived on my bank app. Free vend had definitely ended before Saturday. :(

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
Wonder how that supply of AC equipment is coming along. Thought it was meant to kick off after a month or so...
If it wasn't for the Park & Ride and abundance of charging inside Lancaster in a pinch, that would be me not going anywhere South of me for the foreseeable!
I've managed to find a couple of places still doing AC as well as other brands of CCS, I am hopeful that Gridserve will leave them to last until AC equipment is available, but I am not counting on it.

Corely Services and Cambridge Services still had working AC but also had Instavolt at Corley and Ionity at Cambridge.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It bothers me that your Google Pay didn't work, have you queried the transactions with your bank?
Not yet. I note this morning that the 6x£20 reserved funds from my credit card have now been released (24-48 hours later). My Google Pay account is still showing 3x£20 payments and 2x£20 refunds (and no payment for a successful charge). I'll give it another couple of days and try Google Pay again before chasing.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
246 Posts
Interesting, I was getting a 'waiting for power' message after plugging in and offering my payment card, then a charge failure message after about 20 seconds. I was the only vehicle plugged in though.
This is the message when the card reader isn't working. I had the same at Exeter on 2 chargers.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This is the message when the card reader isn't working. I had the same at Exeter on 2 chargers.
I think you are correct. Not sure if Gridserve are able to reboot card reader at the same time as the charger? The first reboot by Gridserve on Sunday didn't seem to make any difference, and neither did hitting and releasing the big red button. A subsequent support call was able to commence charge (but not take payment). Checking zap map and it seems that others have endured similar random issues with contactless payment in past weeks since installation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's a link explaining the pin malarkey that I first noticed happening not last Autumn but the one before. I don't know what happens if the card behind Google Pay has reached it's limit before you try to use Google Pay but this is what I suspect has happened here. It's hard to understand how a broken card reader can get your bank to charge a pre-auth.
Someone explaining the pin check malarkey

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Here's a link explaining the pin malarkey that I first noticed happening not last Autumn but the one before. I don't know what happens if the card behind Google Pay has reached it's limit before you try to use Google Pay but this is what I suspect has happened here. It's hard to understand how a broken card reader can get your bank to charge a pre-auth.
Someone explaining the pin check malarkey
Pin verification isn't usually needed for Google Pay because you already verified your PIN/Password/Fingerprint/Face/Whatever to unlock the phone.

Sometimes when you do a Google Pay transaction it asks you to unlock your phone even though it is already unlocked: under the normal contactless limit when no pin would be needed it just does it but for higher amounts or if you haven't used your PIN in a while it may ask another unlock in place of a card pin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My question is what happens if the card behind google pay has already exceeded the transaction limit and is blocked awaiting PIN verification? Does Google Pay still work?

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
My question is what happens if the card behind google pay has already exceeded the transaction limit and is blocked awaiting PIN verification? Does Google Pay still work?
Yes because the Google Pay transaction counts as a transaction with PIN if you had to unlock your phone but the Google Pay 'card' is separate from the physical card. I have a card that requires PIN activation but as I only ever use it through Google Pay I've never bothered to activate it.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,212 Posts
I charged at Gridserve/Electric Highway seven days ago. £20 was pre-authorised immediately. The actual cost was deducted from that and changed from pending to authorised a couple of days later. The remainder of the pre-authorised amount is still showing as pending in my account.
This is the sort of rubbish customer service that realy winds me up. It's the reason I try very hard to avoid these payment models. Having to keep track of what they owe you is an unnecessary complication. Using a bank debit or credit card has to be the way but only customers choosing that method will force a change.

ETA - I think I may have got a bit muddled up here but that's probably because I've never come across pre-authorisation of my debit or credit cards. Once you touch your card to start a charge, you have authorised a payment up to the limit for contactless payment, I would have thought. You never get any of this nonsense when buying on line or paying for parking.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,212 Posts
I've not had a pre-auth issue for years, and suspect a fair bit of it has to do with the way that banking systems have speeded up, and some of that may be related to the many complaints about banks holding on to money for longer than they needed to when making electronic transfers. Even a few years ago it wasn't uncommon for an electronic transfer that should have taken minutes to take up to a day to go through, whereas now I've noticed they go through almost in seconds.
What you say is correct. But "speeded", really? Sped makes more sense to me. I also seem to be on my own with preferring, the defendant plead guilty rather than pleaded.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
534 Posts
I raised the need for PIN check with the Competition Commission earlier this year pointing out that the Banks were thwarting ease of use of chargers in their enquiry into EV charging. I pointed out that the banks only need to give chargers their own transaction I.d. To stop the problem. When I had a govt. credit card for booking hotels and travel I regularly had problems if I hired a meeting room in a golf club for cheapness!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
What you say is correct. But "speeded", really? Sped makes more sense to me. I also seem to be on my own with preferring, the defendant plead guilty rather than pleaded.
You are probably pronouncing that as pled - which is American. Incidentally it winds me up when people write "lead" when they mean "led" - I always have to do a double take as I read it as it's spelt. Now we are disappearing down a rabbit hole, because the past tense of "read" is "read". :) What a fun language is English!

881 - 900 of 999 Posts