Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
901 - 920 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
At Birch West M62 having my first Gridserve experience.

Id3 22% left. First box (dual CCS) tried both connectors. Both fired up to >50kw then stopped with a car error (charging light near socket on car went red).

Moved to next box (Chad/CCs) and all working fine but limited to 240mph (50kw).

Had all sorts of payments and refunds on Apple Pay - so see what happens with that!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,397 Posts
At Birch West M62 having my first Gridserve experience.

Id3 22% left. First box (dual CCS) tried both connectors. Both fired up to >50kw then stopped with a car error (charging light near socket on car went red).

Moved to next box (Chad/CCs) and all working fine but limited to 240mph (50kw).

Had all sorts of payments and refunds on Apple Pay - so see what happens with that!
Reminder - These units may be 120kW rated, but they replaced 50kW units, so the incoming cable from the grid may be only carrying 50-60kW.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup. The dual one went up to 380 mph briefly before coming back with a car error and stopping 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah - not complaining - but one tried to charge at somewhere above 75kw before it stopped (car error) and the other was running at 50. Same rate as I get on osprey or IV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You are probably pronouncing that as pled - which is American. Incidentally it winds me up when people write "lead" when they mean "led" - I always have to do a double take as I read it as it's spelt. Now we are disappearing down a rabbit hole, because the past tense of "read" is "read". :) What a fun language is English!
…and don’t start me on “underway” (is that like a subway?) or “instore”…
…and there’s always punctuation…:devilish:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hope Gridserve are creating some full time opportunities for UK based people to operate their call centre, maintain and repair machines.

This promised infrastructure will need looking after as it grows to provide the service we need and turn a profit.

I wish them every success Gor the future.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
246 Posts
Here's a link explaining the pin malarkey that I first noticed happening not last Autumn but the one before. I don't know what happens if the card behind Google Pay has reached it's limit before you try to use Google Pay but this is what I suspect has happened here. It's hard to understand how a broken card reader can get your bank to charge a pre-auth.
Someone explaining the pin check malarkey
I was charged a pre-authorisation on 2 cards with a malfunctioning reader. The payment seems to register butthen fails to initiate the charge!

·
Registered
590 Posts
You never get any of this nonsense when buying on line or paying for parking.
Well DO'H! That is because you are paying for something that costs an exact amount at the time of the transaction, not an unknown amount, you could spend 30p or £13 when charging how is the provider to know how much you plan on using, crystal ball?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,212 Posts
Well that might be the reason, but there is no reason why the initial card swipe could not authorise the final payment after the charge is completed - up to the contactless limit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well DO'H! That is because you are paying for something that costs an exact amount at the time of the transaction, not an unknown amount, you could spend 30p or £13 when charging how is the provider to know how much you plan on using, crystal ball?
what do petrol stations do when its pay at pump? Do they do a large preauth for the max amount of petrol they can serve?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,397 Posts
what do petrol stations do when its pay at pump? Do they do a large preauth for the max amount of petrol they can serve?
The supermarket petrol stations used to preauth just £1, but are apparently rolling out a £99 preauth this summer, allegedly because Visa & Mastercard are making them.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
In theory a successful transaction concludes shortly after the pre-authentication payment is taken. In this situation, the correct payment can be taken and reserved monies released. The problem comes when a successful transaction is not concluded and multiple preauth reservation charges can be held for several days before funds are released.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,012 Posts
If the Gridserve system does eventually move to the next planned enhancement where you can click on the first use of one of their pumps to authorise the card to be remembered for future visits then the pre-auth issues will also go away. They plan to enable future visits by that car at one of their pumps to be a simple plug n go as the pump recognises the car and its attendant card details that are held at the mothership. No further contactless card to be presented so no pre-auth fee taken. Just a Tesla experience.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Update, Lymm is now moving over to the new units this week.
Rest in peace the site of almost permanent Freevend :(

Fingers crossed this means there is less whinging from the CCS Crowd. its possible they are just replacing 2 of the units and leaving the chademo and 43kw AC unit at the end but who knows..

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
534 Posts
Pity there is no news on Warwick services… just about 2 hours from the M27… and well placed for a comfort break and charge.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The middle charger at Birch west was broken when I tried it a week ago last sunday. It asked for RFID card then gave an error when Google Pay was presented. The left hand one was free vend. With this set of problems being discussed here I wonder if the chargers are starting, then immediately failing to negotiate down to the available input power?

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
As long as they leave Stafford Services alone this weekend I can still get to London and back from Lancaster using the trusty ZE40 R110 :)

and a small detour to Tesco's at Banbury off the M40 :rolleyes:

901 - 920 of 999 Posts