Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
921 - 940 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,725 Posts
If the Gridserve system does eventually move to the next planned enhancement where you can click on the first use of one of their pumps to authorise the card to be remembered for future visits then the pre-auth issues will also go away. They plan to enable future visits by that car at one of their pumps to be a simple plug n go as the pump recognises the car and its attendant card details that are held at the mothership. No further contactless card to be presented so no pre-auth fee taken. Just a Tesla experience.
Brilliant if they actually manage it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
After my tries with Gridserve yesterday - (three failed payments and an eventual charge) it’s all shaken out fine on the total cost. I’ve a host of changes and refunds that all balance out 👍👍

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
534 Posts
As long as they leave Stafford Services alone this weekend I can still get to London and back from Lancaster using the trusty ZE40 R110 :)

and a small detour to Tesco's at Banbury off the M40 :rolleyes:
I used Tesco at Banbury last week, I think the pre authorisation was £20, but only held for 24 hours. Instavolt, used earlier in the day for a quick few kWh failed to register on my credit card... but I chose Tesco cos it was nearly half the price. Turned out I might have been better off at Instavolt. It is getting very busy, only 2 chargers available when I turned up at 9:45

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Banbury Instavolts are so good, it's getting rather popular! I was there last Friday early evening, 8 cars charging & one waiting in front of me. 5 mins later there were 3 more behind me, and still the one in front! At this point I lost patience, and as I had enough SOC to do the last 60 miles of my trip at a gentle pace, I did just that. I wonder how long the guys behind ended me waiting...

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
372 Posts
As long as they leave Stafford Services alone this weekend I can still get to London and back from Lancaster using the trusty ZE40 R110 :)

and a small detour to Tesco's at Banbury off the M40 :rolleyes:

this might be better if you are just popping off the M40

·
Registered
898 Posts
Banbury Instavolts are so good, it's getting rather popular! I was there last Friday early evening, 8 cars charging & one waiting in front of me. 5 mins later there were 3 more behind me, and still the one in front! At this point I lost patience, and as I had enough SOC to do the last 60 miles of my trip at a gentle pace, I did just that. I wonder how long the guys behind ended me waiting...
I just wonder how many people really need to charge when they do. Perhaps 1/2 of those people didnt need to anyway.

Or is it,
they are charging because they were going to stop anyway for substinance.
they are topping up "just in case"
charging more than they need to get to charging destination.
etc

Seems like a project for a student "the why and wherefore of EV charger occupancy.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
750 Posts
I just wonder how many people really need to charge when they do. Perhaps 1/2 of those people didnt need to anyway.

Or is it,
they are charging because they were going to stop anyway for substinance.
they are topping up "just in case"
charging more than they need to get to charging destination.
etc

Seems like a project for a student "the why and wherefore of EV charger occupancy.
Possibly. I’d hazard that once the novelty of trying out a new Gridserve rapid has worn off, many will not be quite as busy as they are at the moment. Long term, once each site is upgraded with more chargers, the pressure may ease off.

With the take up of EVs accelerating, it may be a moot point though. How fast can the decent operators introduce the new infrastructure to keep up with the ever increasing numbers of EVs?

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
708 Posts
Possibly. I’d hazard that once the novelty of trying out a new Gridserve rapid has worn off, many will not be quite as busy as they are at the moment. Long term, once each site is upgraded with more chargers, the pressure may ease off.

With the take up of EVs accelerating, it may be a moot point though. How fast can the decent operators introduce the new infrastructure to keep up with the ever increasing numbers of EVs?
I think that's bang on. Chargers are definitely more busy now. Wherever possible I try to avoid public charging but of course it's essential at times.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
This is where tesla comes in as it tells you if you'll be queueing at a site.
There is the adage of always be charging, IE charge before you need to incase of failure. Getting down to around 20% and looking for a charger to fill up at gives you some room in a lot of the country to fallback to a plan b if needed.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
708 Posts
That's right. If I've got a long journey to do I'll work out a charging strategy that is most likely to succeed (ie when and where to charge taking likely charger availability and charging speed into account) but I'd always have a couple of backup plans. Gridserve is usefully expanding these two factors so it's opened up new options. I used Blyth services last week on my way to Scarborough, would never normally call in there.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts

this might be better if you are just popping off the M40
Unfortunately my Zoe is Type 2 AC only, if I had a newer model with CCS my problem would be solved or Gridserve started rolling out their promised replacement AC chargers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is the sort of rubbish customer service that realy winds me up. It's the reason I try very hard to avoid these payment models. Having to keep track of what they owe you is an unnecessary complication. Using a bank debit or credit card has to be the way but only customers choosing that method will force a change.

ETA - I think I may have got a bit muddled up here but that's probably because I've never come across pre-authorisation of my debit or credit cards. Once you touch your card to start a charge, you have authorised a payment up to the limit for contactless payment, I would have thought. You never get any of this nonsense when buying on line or paying for parking.
I used the Gridserve/Electric Highway chargers at the new J1 M6 Rugby Moto services on Monday. Pre-authorisation amount this time was £25 (up from £20 at Beaconsfield).

Another seamless charging process. Straight up to 48kW (I arrived with about 55% charge). I didn't hang around in the car to see if it stayed there because it was too chuffing hot.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
750 Posts
Hmmm... Just used the new GS at Ikea Lakeside. Plugged in, tapped with Apple Pay and got the message that charge will commence when power is available. Called the helpline and after a couple of minutes wait was told to disconnect and they then rebooted the charger. Plugged in again and this time just pressed the "Start" button on the screen and the charge commenced OK.

I didn't have to tap my Apple Pay the second time and I assumed it must be a free vend. However, just checked my card used with Apple Pay and 2 pre-auths for £20. I'll be interested to see if they actually take the payment for the 28kW used.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Exeter has gone from 1CCS to 4CCS and they are queing because its free. Clogged up with locals using it even when they have a charger at home and are nearly full anyway! I feel sorry for anyone really needing to charge to get to Cornwall etc. Greed will out

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Exeter has gone from 1CCS to 4CCS and they are queing because its free. Clogged up with locals using it even when they have a charger at home and are nearly full anyway! I feel sorry for anyone really needing to charge to get to Cornwall etc. Greed will out
Fortunately it only seems to last long enough for them to sort out the back end. I've not come across a free Gridserve yet, though I don't often charge away from home.

Actually, do you know they are locals, and which of them have a charger at home?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Fortunately it only seems to last long enough for them to sort out the back end. I've not come across a free Gridserve yet, though I don't often charge away from home.

Actually, do you know they are locals, and which of them have a charger at home?
I have spoken to people at free rapids and thats all i need to know. Honey and jam pots. When it was EH this site with one CCS was hardly used. Just wait to see what happens when they start charging. PS one needs to use the Gridserve site as Zap is .... presumably Gridserve has cut them off from up to date charging info or Zap wanted to charge for it?

921 - 940 of 999 Posts