Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1721 - 1740 of 1789 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
208 Posts
6 Welcome Break branded rapid chargers have appeared at South Mimms MSA.

So clearly the WB plan is to have their own network alongside the Gridserve units. Quite possibly Gridserve haven't replaced any of their units at WB locations as they're waiting for WB to do the associated groundwork and grid upgrades before adding their own HPCs alike Rugby? Would make sense, why install lower powered units when you can wait and install better ones 6 months later instead.

·
EGGY
1,690 Posts
It is. Tesla SC's supposed to be going in there as well

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Quite possibly Gridserve haven't replaced any of their units at WB locations as they're waiting for WB to do the associated groundwork and grid upgrades before adding their own HPCs alike Rugby?
Toddington Harper mentioned contract issues. We don't know if this is Welcome Break, but it seems likely.

Gridserve have not replaced ANY EH chargers at Welcome Break, which sort of points to contract since the power is already in for that.

We would obviously like to go even faster, but challenging headwinds caused by global supply chain issues, manufacturing and transportation delays, compounded with new contractual issues to work through, have made this more challenging than anticipated.
Source: --> GRIDSERVE | Progress update: Fuel for thought as GRIDSERVE reaches Electric Highway milestone

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
since we seem to be talking about planning applications, Reading Services M4 Westbound (Moto).. planning application amended in the past few weeks to increase number of new EV charging bays from 22 to 24. In the previous approved planning document, it had 12 Tesla, 10 Ecotricity. It looks like there was room on the Ecotricity side for 2 more, so they're exercising that option. Of course, for Ecotricity read Gridserve, since the company has changed hands since the intial planinng application went in.

·
EGGY
1,690 Posts
Ah I hadn't realised the expansion of Thurrock was an MFG install, I had a chat to the guys installing the replacement Gridserve chargers and they said they were coming back to do the new install as well, I just presumed it was phase 2 (expansion) of Gridserve, so potentially at a site like that we could see MFG, Gridserve and public Tesla chargers.

Pity it's such a dump :eek:

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ah I hadn't realised the expansion of Thurrock was an MFG install, I had a chat to the guys installing the replacement Gridserve chargers and they said they were coming back to do the new install as well, I just presumed it was phase 2 (expansion) of Gridserve, so potentially at a site like that we could see MFG, Gridserve and public Tesla chargers.

Pity it's such a dump :eek:
I think it's all three there. more Gridserve, new Tesla next to the Gridserve, and new MFG by the filling station.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 in void and standard suspension
122 Posts
I think it's all three there. more Gridserve, new Tesla next to the Gridserve, and new MFG by the filling station.
That is going to be interesting.....
Gridserve 30p/kWh
MFG/Swarco 41p/kWh
Tesla as little as 24p/kWh (assuming they offer the same sort of deal as the NL trial of public access)

In a couple of years, based on current expansion claims, we might need a roadside sign to show availability/cost of chargers at MSA's updated in real time (like some French Autoroute stops show for fossil fuel).

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
That is going to be interesting.....
Gridserve 30p/kWh
MFG/Swarco 41p/kWh
Tesla as little as 24p/kWh (assuming they offer the same sort of deal as the NL trial of public access)
24p/kWh is likely well below cost. The price at public charge points includes 20% VAT.

Tesla might be able to buy power off-peak at store it in batteries. Gridserve are heading that way too. Still 24p is very cheap when you consider all the costs that go into chargers.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
24p/kWh is likely well below cost. The price at public charge points includes 20% VAT.
According to Tesla when they started charging they would make no profit on charging. So that would mean it was at cost. Seems possible as there rapid chargers are well designed reliable and cheap. They now have 20,000 + active chargers. They also have a factory that can make over 10,000 V3 stalls a year. Nobody has that capability and such a well designed charger. With that volume prices are bound to be very keen.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
12 Posts
since we seem to be talking about planning applications, Reading Services M4 Westbound (Moto).. planning application amended in the past few weeks to increase number of new EV charging bays from 22 to 24. In the previous approved planning document, it had 12 Tesla, 10 Ecotricity. It looks like there was room on the Ecotricity side for 2 more, so they're exercising that option. Of course, for Ecotricity read Gridserve, since the company has changed hands since the intial planinng application went in.
This is really interesting. I live near Junction 16 of the M4 and often travel to London so the Reading services are of interest to me.

Do you have the planning permission link and could you share it if so? Thanks in advance. This would be a really cool addition to the charging infrastructure, hope it happens soon.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Reading services westbound is about 45 miles from London.

Obviously other journeys will be happening but 10 million people live in London and will be travelling outwards on the various spokes. None of them will want a charger as early as 45 miles, surely?

Highest demand for chargers will be at about 80 to 100 miles from London? About two hours drive. Swindon services, say. To maximise customers I'd pick the services at this distance on each spoke and fill them with dozens of chargers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reading services westbound is about 45 miles from London.

Obviously other journeys will be happening but 10 million people live in London and will be travelling outwards on the various spokes. None of them will want a charger as early as 45 miles, surely?

Highest demand for chargers will be at about 80 to 100 miles from London? About two hours drive. Swindon services, say. To maximise customers I'd pick the services at this distance on each spoke and fill them with dozens of chargers.
Well I can only speak for myself but from my parents in north east London/Essex, it's approximately 70-75 miles to the Reading services due to the fact the most reasonable route at most times is round the M25, rather than through London via the A406.

For me, I travel to my parents regularly from Swindon area and it's approximately 226 miles round trip. The Reading services would be a great place to stop off for a short charge of 10-20% to make sure I get home on the return leg.

I would imagine people coming from the east side of London/Essex or people in my position will find the new facilities a most welcome addition.

·
Registered
423 Posts
1721 - 1740 of 1789 Posts